Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 10:16   #31

Re: crossing to the exumas

can you still clear in at Chubb just after Northwest Light? I did that once. It was easy and no Nassau hassle.... Entered at night using radar.... checked in next am. You definitely dont want to be crossing the Stream with 25 NE!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46   #32

Unfortunately we did a no no and have to meet my sister and her three daughters in Georgetown on the 23rd so we can't do the Abacos route. We know better but I couldn't resist having them with us during the girl's spring break.
The Captain is now talking about leaving Biscayne Channel at dark on Monday and going straight to Chubb for Tuesday night. We would probably have to stay at the marina for Wednesday due to the high winds and everything the forum has said about holding there but they do take off the customs check in fee of $100 so it is not as bad to stay there. I just don't know how long we will be stuck there.
My husband wanted to ask Waterwayguy why he wouldn't do the banks Monday and Tuesday before the front? Is it because you might get stuck there?
pjvoyage50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:07   #33

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Could their flight be changed to arrive in Staniel Cay or Black Point? Might be a way to pick them up and then take them to Georgetown.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19   #34

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvoyage50 View Post
My husband wanted to ask Waterwayguy why he wouldn't do the banks Monday and Tuesday before the front? Is it because you might get stuck there?
First, you will have to get on the Banks which means leaving Monday morning. The seas will still be up, and the winds may be out of East at 15 to 20. You will be driving directly into it. You'll probably have at least 15 Monday night and then Tuesday 15 out of the Southeast. That's if the front doesn't speed up, and it looks like that's a possibility. Then you are looking at much stronger winds. We have found over the years that the actual winds in open waters are almost always at least 5 knots more than forecast. We also have learned the hard way to NEVER try and outrun a front. When you loose the race you regret it. Of course, this is just our opinion and everyone must make their own decisions based on their boat, skills and comfort levels. These same conditions might be a blast, no pun intended, to some, just not to us. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:33   #35

Boat: 65' cat, sold

Since you're on a schedule, I'd be ready to leave on Monday morning and listen to the weather conditions and as soon as the wind starts going to the southwest I'd go straight for North rock * . Don't forget to figure in about 2.5 kts of north current. Once you get on the banks you can't really stop if it's blowing but you won't be punching in to a head sea and you can make good time. You won't get big seas like in the gulfstream but you can get short steep seas on the beam or aft and it might not be comfortable . Just reef down so you're not over powered and enjoy the sail. I'm assuming you're on a sailboat in good condition and have some idea what you're doing. Just remember to reef early and it's better to be underpowered than overpowered.

* I wouldn't even consider leaving with southeast winds.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54   #36

Good advice. If we did the overnight we would not head for the banks (Cat Cay) but N Rock and continue on across the banks in daylight.I agree about being careful in not trying to outrun a front. In going up to North Rock, I guess the SE winds would be beating too much, correct?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02   #37

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Good advice. If we did the overnight we would not head for the banks (Cat Cay) but N Rock and continue on across the banks in daylight.I agree about being careful in not trying to outrun a front. In going up to North Rock, I guess the SE winds would be beating too much, correct?
Once you get into the stream you'll be steering 130 degrees to make North Rock - right into a SE breeze, right on the nose, about 25 knots apparent, not too nice.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13   #38

OMGoodness! Definitely don't want to do that! Didn't actually calculate the course yet (mostly because I didn't want to go forward with the night crossing idea). WE just listened to the NOAA weather on the VHF and the waves are 4-8 with occasional 10' waves Monday and still 6-8 on Tuesday. I guess it will be a scrap fpr now and weight and see for the end of next week. Thanks for your help as well as the others and hope you are in a safe place and get to continue your trip soon. Maybe we will all luck out and the front will blow through quickly so we can enjoy the Exumas!
Old 10-03-2013, 15:02   #39

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We are leaving for the Bahamas on Tuesday morning too, but leaving from Lake Worth. Any suggestions on where to go if trying to get to the Exumas ASAP? Should we stop in Nassau and check in or is there a better place? Our goal is to get to Georgetown.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt
Take a look at Great Harbour Cay Marina at the top of the Berrys in Bullocks Harbour. We cleared in there last month after leaving Ft Lauderdale and running down the NW Providence Channel. Easy clear in, friendly dock folks and cheaper than Nassau, etc. If the front comes in before you get past the Berrys, you could hang there till it lays down. Nice, empty anchorages running down the Berrys too.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:07   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
Could their flight be changed to arrive in Staniel Cay or Black Point? Might be a way to pick them up and then take them to Georgetown.
From my experience, it is much easier to fly into Staniel Cay on Watermaker Air, than to fly into Georgetown on Bahama Air. You can walk to the airport on Staniel Cay. Not to mention, Staniel Cay is about ten times nicer than Georgetown (unless you really need the whole snuggling with 200 other boats thing).
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:09   #41

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Or, they could fly into Nassau and sail with you down to the Exumas--we've done that before with guests, and they enjoyed the trip across the banks down there.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:42   #42

Boat: 65' cat, sold

Quote:
OMGoodness! Definitely don't want to do that! Didn't actually calculate the course yet (mostly because I didn't want to go forward with the night crossing idea). WE just listened to the NOAA weather on the VHF and the waves are 4-8 with occasional 10' waves Monday and still 6-8 on Tuesday. I guess it will be a scrap fpr now and weight and see for the end of next week. Thanks for your help as well as the others and hope you are in a safe place and get to continue your trip soon. Maybe we will all luck out and the front will blow through quickly so we can enjoy the Exumas!
Sent you a PM.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:44   #43

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Unless something changes today, we have decided to wait it out as well. Lets hope next weekend is good. Its a shame, we worked our rear ends off to make it to Lake Worth in time to leave tomorrow.... dang weather. This whole sailing thing would be so much easier with no wind
Old 12-03-2013, 02:28   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

You don't have to go into a marina to clear in at Nassau. Call Harbour Control for permission and tie up inside of the cruise ship docks. Customs/immigration are just round the corner.

Then you can be on your way out of one of the nastiest places on an Atlantic Circuit without having to shell out for a berth.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
can you still clear in at Chubb just after Northwest Light? I did that once. It was easy and no Nassau hassle.... Entered at night using radar.... checked in next am. You definitely dont want to be crossing the Stream with 25 NE!
Last time I cleared, I did it there (Nov. 2010). I had heard horror stories of cruisers only getting visa's for 60 days aor three months. The official asked me how long I wanted a visa for and I said, "Six months, if that's okay." He gave me seven months.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas