Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Chesapeake Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That depends.

Sometimes it's quite nice all the way through October.......on the Southern end anyway

I put my boat in the yard on November 1st last year and it almost hit 80 degrees at Cobb's on Little Creek

Of course it depends. Like you said “sometimes” it’s nice.

They’re chartering. They want the best shot at good weather. Early October obviously gives them better odds.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:34   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Ferrell View Post
If you see a cabo rico pilothouse Callae Jane at anchor, say hello.
Geoff-

Was your CR named Shamrock previously?

Regards,

Clay
S/V Tango
CR34

currently in Ft. Pierce,FL
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:40   #18

Boat: Columbia 29 & Saber
Thumbs up Re: Chesapeake Bay

If you are looking to charter a sailboat near Annapolis I would suggest ABC (Annapolis Bay Charters). Nice boats and people. They are located at Port Annapolis Marina on Back creek.
Vartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:33   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Of course it depends. Like you said “sometimes” it’s nice.

They’re chartering. They want the best shot at good weather. Early October obviously gives them better odds.
Best shot at good weather would be September.......

But since they have chosen October and the upper bay, early October is probably best. Usually down this end though, it's often times nice for the whole month

Usually by mid November, you will start getting the strong fronts coming through

September and October are two of the best months of the year though in this area

Also, if they would consider an escape from the city life, Onancock, VA on the lower Eastern Shore is a great place to sail into with free anchoring within 100 yards of the Wharf downtown and free floating dinghy dock

https://www.virginia.org/listings/Hi...ckWharfMarina/

Kiptopeke Park is a nice place also but can be treacherous if the wind is wrong. It's maybe 50 miles South of Onancock. It has lots of trails to hike on, and some protection for the boat if you anchor close to the cement ships if the wind is Southerly. If Northerly, close to the beach

https://www.virginia.org/Listings/Ou...pekeStatePark/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:41   #20

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don46 View Post
I plan to get a Cruising guide. Presently considering a charter out of Rock Hill on the Eastern Shore as a starting point. Whether we cruise north or south from there is open. Any advice?

Depending on where you're coming from and mode of transportation, when it comes to Rock Hall sometimes you can't get there from here. If flying in to BWI or Reagan, Annapolis or Deale would be decent charter origins. If flying in to Phila, (or maybe Dover?) then Rock Hall can work better, I think. Nothing insurmountable from BWI, though, just a long rental car drive. And if you're driving, you'll have more freedom anyway..

Starting from Rock Hall, I think I'd go up the Chester for anchorages (Corsica River, etc.), then through Kent Narrows (marina stop, or not), St. Michaels, then over to the western shore to maybe Deale (Herrington Harbor; we like NORTH better), then maybe Galesville, then Annapolis, then back to Rock Hall. I only listed likely town/marina stops, but there are boatloads of anchorages to choose from in there somewhere too. And it's easy enough to anchor out in St Michaels, Galeseville, Annapolis (and there's a mooring field there).

North can make a good cruise, maybe the Fairlee Creek, Still Pond, Whorton Creek, the Sassafras (Georgetown, pretty small), maybe Havre d' Grace, then back south along the western shore. I think not Baltimore 'cause it's way up the river...

Either loop can be a week, or two weeks... or three weeks, depending...

Anyway, Bill's book covers about every anchorage we've ever been in up here... sometimes even rafted up with him.

-Chris
Old 06-05-2019, 16:10   #21

Boat: Tripp Lentsch 29

I would avoid C&C Charters. They specialize in large motorboats and while they once had one wonderful sailboat (who doesn't love a Bristol?), the owners are really unpleasant. We chartered from them multiple times and each time there was a problem. And Kent Island is meh. I too would recommend Haven Charters in Rock Hall or many of the other more sailboat-knowledgable charter companies on the bay, including Hartge in Galesville.
Popsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay