Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 06:33   #1

Chesapeake Bay

Thinking about a bareboat charter in October on Chesapeake Bay. Any advice on weather/wind conditions; anchorages; mooring buoy availability; marinas. Thanks!
Don46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:46   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Chesapeake Bay

Do you plan to explore the whole Bay which is about 150 miles long (plus) by 30 miles wide in places or just certain parts like up near Annapolis or down near Va Beach/Hampton Roads?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:08   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Idea where you intend to start? Easier to discuss from there...

In the meantime, consider getting a copy of "Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide" (something like that) by Bill Shellenberger.

-Chris
Old 04-04-2019, 08:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

My last bareboat charter on Ches. Bay was out of Haven Charters in Rock Hall, MD. Great selection of boats and great staff.
Annapolis was fun and busy. My favorite anchorage of the trip was Eagle Cove off Sillery Bay - completely sheltered, peaceful, picturesque view of horses wandering around.
My log from that trip is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:45   #5

Late October it will be freezing at night. Also can blow very hard and the bay can be quite rough. I would stick to early October.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:11   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Late October it will be freezing at night. Also can blow very hard and the bay can be quite rough. I would stick to early October.
That depends.

Sometimes it's quite nice all the way through October.......on the Southern end anyway

I put my boat in the yard on November 1st last year and it almost hit 80 degrees at Cobb's on Little Creek
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:37   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Charters out of Rock Hall are in a great starting place. From Rock Hall I suggest going south to the Chester River, with anchorages in Langford Creek, Reed Creek, and the Corsicca River. Maybe visit Chestertown if you are inclined. Heading further south on the Eastern Shore one might try St Michaels and Wye Island. The Maritime Museum in St Micheals is a must stop for Chesapeake history and beautiful boats. Crossing to the western shore would be Annapolois and further south the Rhode River. Once on the Chesapeake you will see there are abundant anhorages. Many of the local towns hold festivals in October if that interests you. Crabs will be readily available too, you can buy them or catch yourself.

We spent the entire month of October on Chesapeake Bay. The weather was mostly gorgeous, and often shirt sleeve conditions. We ran north to hide in a cozy cove while Hurricane Michael blew through, but other than the three days or so around the storm we had no weather concerns.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 13:29   #8

You can also check out C and C Charters out of Mears Kent Island, Rick is the guy. I have traveled the Chesapeake Solomons and north. The western shore has the cities, Annapolis, Baltimore, Havre De Grace etc, and the eastern shore is more rural, quiet and laid-back.

Lots of places to drop anchor including many creeks and inlets. Not many places with actual mooring buoys unlike the BVI's. Annapolis does have a mooring buoy field and some marinas may also offer them.

Early to mid-October would be cooler and, if sailing, you'll have some wind to use. It'll be less crowded as well.

If you end up in the Sassafras look us up at Sassafras Harbor Marina and say hello.
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
My last bareboat charter on Ches. Bay was out of Haven Charters in Rock Hall, MD. Great selection of boats and great staff.
Annapolis was fun and busy. My favorite anchorage of the trip was Eagle Cove off Sillery Bay - completely sheltered, peaceful, picturesque view of horses wandering around.
My log from that trip is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Thanks for the information. Haven Charters was on my list as possible Charter service so your recommendation is helpful. Any idea on transient slip space prices?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
You can also check out C and C Charters out of Mears Kent Island, Rick is the guy. I have traveled the Chesapeake Solomons and north. The western shore has the cities, Annapolis, Baltimore, Havre De Grace etc, and the eastern shore is more rural, quiet and laid-back.

Lots of places to drop anchor including many creeks and inlets. Not many places with actual mooring buoys unlike the BVI's. Annapolis does have a mooring buoy field and some marinas may also offer them.

Early to mid-October would be cooler and, if sailing, you'll have some wind to use. It'll be less crowded as well.

If you end up in the Sassafras look us up at Sassafras Harbor Marina and say hello.
Thanks for the information. Hoping to finalize plans soon with another couple. C&C charters is on my list of possibilities along with Havens at Rock Hill. How was your experience at C&C?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Idea where you intend to start? Easier to discuss from there...

In the meantime, consider getting a copy of "Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide" (something like that) by Bill Shellenberger.

-Chris
I plan to get a Cruising guide. Presently considering a charter out of Rock Hill on the Eastern Shore as a starting point. Whether we cruise north or south from there is open. Any advice?
Old 05-04-2019, 08:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don46 View Post
Thanks for the information. Haven Charters was on my list as possible Charter service so your recommendation is helpful. Any idea on transient slip space prices?
Figure $2/ft per night, more in fancy pants places like Annapolis and St. Michaels (the former has an inexpensive, public mooring field and you can anchor in front of the St. Mike's harbor entrance, free).
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:14   #13

I was happy with C&C and I know a lot of friends who charter out of there. I think they tend to have more powerboats than sail.

North or South? Hmmm...

My faves on western shore are Annapolis and Baltimore because there's a lot to do, but it's busy and can seem crowded...they are cities after all.

Stillpond and Worton Creek are nice, quiet anchorages. Great Oak Landing is busy on weekends, even crazy sometimes but they have live music on Saturday and Sunday at Jellyfish Joels and also up at the restaurant in the evenings.

Depends what you like...action or quiet.
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don46 View Post
I plan to get a Cruising guide. Presently considering a charter out of Rock Hill on the Eastern Shore as a starting point. Whether we cruise north or south from there is open. Any advice?
Both if there's time. If not I would definitely criss cross southward.

EDITED to Add: The Shellenberger book, recommended up thread, provides lots of itinerary suggestions for a mini cruise and explains what to expect in different places and in different parts of the bay. It's well worth the time to read.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico 38PH 1991

Good bets:
Eastern Bay:
Chester River - Corsica river was great last year. never made it up to Chester town, long way.
Rock Hall - found it disappointing (shore side of things)
Wye River for quiet/mother nature - east mainly tends to be deep up to the shore (unusual for the shallow Bay), St Michaels for a nice town.
Choptank: Broad Creek etc (mother Nature), Tred Avon to Oxford, Cambridge.

Rhode River on the western side is very near my slip and a great anchorage when the weather is bad-for-crotch rockets, tubers, water skiers and such noisy recreation, and is very sheltered. If you see a cabo rico pilothouse Callae Jane at anchor, say hello.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay Gunkholes .jpg
Views:	129
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	189437  
Geoff Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay