Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 15:50   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Chartering in St Thomas, sailing in the BVI

That does make it more challenging - might want to look at a few different flight options though - sometimes booking things separately helps. JetBlue has some pretty good rates to San Juan from Boston and NY which should be pretty easy to get to from Tortonto.

Not sure on the exact cost, but I think its roughly double what you pay for the ferry, but also has a minimum which can raise the cost a little. Not sure what that minimum is - maybe 5. Take a look at traveltalkonline.com - lots of info there as there's been a lot of discussion about it.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 15:50   #17

Monohull, under 40'
thedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 15:54   #18

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarko View Post
Monohull, under 40'
Then you are down to two choices. Island Yachts should have an Island Packet and CYOA has 2012 36' mono.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 15:55   #19

I've been in contact with CYOA about their Hunter 36, I actually did the math a little wrong as I just realized their DRA is a returnable deposit of $500, so this brings the price back down somewhat.

Gotta crunch some numbers again..
Old 18-07-2013, 16:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarko View Post
I've been in contact with CYOA about their Hunter 36, I actually did the math a little wrong as I just realized their DRA is a returnable deposit of $500, so this brings the price back down somewhat.

Gotta crunch some numbers again..
Better to crunch numbers rather than boats. :-)

Good luck with your research and have a great vacation.
Old 18-07-2013, 16:06   #21

Hey, its not MY boat

Thanks
Old 18-07-2013, 16:56   #22

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Chartering in St Thomas, Sailing in the BVI

Hiya SMP! Alternate travel plans...Fly from Toronto (YYZ) to Sint Maarten (SXM)...one stop in Miami; American Airlines, $900 USD round trip. Overnight stay in St. Maarten...Next day, Charter your boat from The Moorings in St. Martin. Sail away from St. Maarten to BVI. What do you think?

Mauritz
Old 18-07-2013, 17:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya SMP! Alternate travel plans...Fly from Toronto (YYZ) to Sint Maarten (SXM)...one stop in Miami; American Airlines, $900 USD round trip. Overnight stay in St. Maarten...Next day, Charter your boat from The Moorings in St. Martin. Sail away from St. Maarten to BVI. What do you think?

Mauritz
I'm not even the guy looking for the charter but I give you an A+ for a creative solution. The only downside I see is what will it cost to fly back to SXM from the BVI? And would one have to spend another night (hotel) on St Martin? Not that it's a bad place to hangout. :-)
Old 18-07-2013, 17:21   #24

That sounds like a more expensive option all around.. plus my wife and I weren't thrilled by St Martin at all when we went 2 years ago. But thanks for thinking outside the box! That would be a great 2 or 3 week vacation plan!
Old 18-07-2013, 17:36   #25

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Roundtrip Moorings sailboat charter... St. Martin - BVI - St. Martin...only ONE hotel night stay in Sint Maarten (arrival night)...Direct flights to/from SXM with one stop over in Miami, arriving around 11 PM in Toronto; practically the same price, but with a modified itinerary and no additional expenses for ferries/taxis.

Mauritz
Old 18-07-2013, 18:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Roundtrip Moorings sailboat charter... St. Martin - BVI - St. Martin...only ONE hotel night stay in Sint Maarten (arrival night)...Direct flights to/from SXM with one stop over in Miami, arriving around 11 PM in Toronto; practically the same price, but with a modified itinerary and no additional expenses for ferries/taxis.

Mauritz
In your previous post I didn't understand the round trip sail portion. Have you made the trip from the BVI to SXM in January on a schedule before? Your suggestion financially makes more sense understating the round trip portion. Beating to SXM on a schedule in January...no thanks!
Old 18-07-2013, 23:20   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've done the passage from the BVI to St. Martin many, many times and going upwind to St. Martin is always a very difficult 80NM. I cannot recommend that trip to anyone who would do it just to save some $$$.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:44   #28

I've chartered in the BVI's and cleared in and out of customs in order to spend a day or so at St Johns in the USVI. It was not that big a deal, nor that time consuming dealing with customs. Probably easier than hauling yourselves and your luggage over to Tortola from St Tomas. In fact, you can send 1 person to customs with everyone's passports while the others lunch or shop. With 10 days, I think you start at St Thomas and St Johns for a couple of days then clear out at Cruz bay and clear in to BVI at Jost Van Dyke or West End.
cranki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:59   #29

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

We chartered out of STT in May with CYOA on a Mahe 36, 10 day charter. Not having to take a ferry to Tortolla was a definite advantage on both ends. We did a counterclockwise circumnavigation of Tortolla including 2 nights on Anegada, first and last nights on St John,
1. Land at STT 3:30, at Frenchtown by 4, provision done by 6. Sleep on boat.
2. Check out, chart briefing, Sail to Leinster bay
3. Sail to Sopers, check into BVI. Tell them the day you plan to leave the BVI and you don't need to check out. Continue on to the Bight, Normans.
4. Sail to North Sound, stopping at The Dogs for lunch. Pick up mooring at Saba Rock. Painkillers on the veranda at Saba.
5. Sail to Anegada, Lobster Dinner
6. Explore Anegada, Snorkel at Cow Wreck, and Loblolly
7. Sail to Marina Cay, water taxi to Trellis, explore.
8. Sail to Manchioneel Bay, Cooper, snorkel Cistern Pt.
9. Sail past Monkey pt to Diamond Cay, Jost, dinner at Foxys Taboo, hike to bubbly pool first thing in the morning.
10. Sail to Cruz Bay, St John, check in, Pick up mooring at Hawksnest.
Departure day: Sail to Charlotte Amalie, re-fuel, check in at CYOA by 10:30 am.
Shower, lunch and at Airport by 2:00 for 4:00 flight.

Absolutely fantastic trip. Very convenient chartering from STT. We loved our two nights on St John. Less crowded and $15 mooring fees.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing