Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 18:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Cancun to Belize

We are currently in Cancun heading south to Belize. We are getting conflicting reports on the last place going south to clear out of Mexico. I would appreciate any current information.

Thanks
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 19:12   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Cancun to Belize

There must be something going on and I don't get it. Puerto Morelos is the last or first place to check in or out. There is no place further south. It's been that way for years Where are people getting this other stuff?
It's long haul from Cancun to BZ and it could take 2 weeks. A week in one of the bays is normal. The check in people in BZ and MX understand all this.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 19:24   #3

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41

Can you do in cozumel too and i think in majahual and chetumal
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 21:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captprogreso View Post
Can you do in cozumel too and i think in majahual and chetumal

Majahaul is a cruise ship only port and they really might shoot you if you tried to come ashore. Chetumal freaked out when they saw a sailboat and you need to go through Belize to get there anyway.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:42   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Cozumel.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:55   #6

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41

Ok if you made an temporary import foryour vessel to mexico you need a bank called banejercito to clear that out. the import will last 10 years so no need to clear that out if you plan to return later. Those are the phone and e mail of the las capitanias the puerto of the peninsula , harbor master.

Xcalack the souther most before chetumal
Tel 56246500. Cp.xcalak@semar.gob.mx

Mahahual 56246500. Cp.mahahual@semar.gob.mx

All the harbor master now are run by the mexican marines so i think is more profesional than before.

You can leave mexico without a stay at both places, and like 25 m in front of both there is a very beatifull reef.
Sailing from the new harbor of cozumel is a day of navigation.
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:16   #7

Thanks for the replies. Agent in Cancun told us about Majahual but we knew it was cruise ship port. We also knew about Cozumel and Aventura. We were hoping for something further south. Again appreciate all the replies.
Old 08-06-2018, 15:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captprogreso View Post
Ok if you made an temporary import foryour vessel to mexico you need a bank called banejercito to clear that out. the import will last 10 years so no need to clear that out if you plan to return later. Those are the phone and e mail of the las capitanias the puerto of the peninsula , harbor master.

Xcalack the souther most before chetumal
Tel 56246500. Cp.xcalak@semar.gob.mx

Mahahual 56246500. Cp.mahahual@semar.gob.mx

All the harbor master now are run by the mexican marines so i think is more profesional than before.

You can leave mexico without a stay at both places, and like 25 m in front of both there is a very beatifull reef.
Sailing from the new harbor of cozumel is a day of navigation.

That is misleading. The port captain at Mahahual and his crew want nothing to do with cruisers. You used to be able to anchor in the lee of the jetty but not anymore.
I met a boat who checked out with customs and migration in Isla but not the port captain for some reason. They tried to check out at Xcalack and couldn't of course. A norther was blowing so they continued south to San Pedro, BZ and were kicked out. They ended up sailing to Chetumal, MX., about 20 miles or so from San Pedro to the West.. Crazy shallow but they made it. The port people in Chetumal said they had never seen a sailboat before.
Old 08-06-2018, 16:56   #9

I did this in 2010 so maybe it no longer applies. I checked out in Cancun. Stopped overnight at the north end of Cozumel, in Tulum and both bays and an overnight to San Pedro to check into Belize. No problem. Just don't overnight where there is a Port Captain and don't go ashore. Much easier to check out at Isla Mujeres or Cancun in the old days.
Unbalanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 17:08   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
That is misleading. The port captain at Mahahual and his crew want nothing to do with cruisers. You used to be able to anchor in the lee of the jetty but not anymore.
I met a boat who checked out with customs and migration in Isla but not the port captain for some reason. They tried to check out at Xcalack and couldn't of course. A norther was blowing so they continued south to San Pedro, BZ and were kicked out. They ended up sailing to Chetumal, MX., about 20 miles or so from San Pedro to the West.. Crazy shallow but they made it. The port people in Chetumal said they had never seen a sailboat before.
Chetumal is not a common clearance port for sure, but I plan to try and clear into MX there next year (shoal draft)...then explore the SE Yucatan more. Will see how that works out. Have a friend who lives there, may get him to inquire for me first.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 17:17   #11

The people I talked to used Rauscher's guide and ran aground 5 times with a 4.5' draft.
Old 08-06-2018, 18:04   #12

I really appreciate all the responses to my question. We have been to Mexico many times, just no further south than Cancun and Isla Mujeres. Have cleared in and out of those places. I think based on what I am seeing we will stop in Aventuras at the marina and clear out. We can then sail directly to San Pedro or stop for the night somewhere in between and not go ashore. Please keep the dialog going as it may help others in the future.
Old 08-06-2018, 18:53   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

You would need an expensive agent to clear out of Puerto Aventuras and probably won't be able to do it in one day plus it is very dangerous to enter in anything from the southeast over 15 knts of wind. If you are in Isla Mujeres, just clear out there. Anchoring in Cozumel is only a problem during a norther. The problem with Cozumel is landing your dinghy which you have to do on the "beach" which is mostly rock. But I have done it many times, you'll want to drag it up as high as you can, spin it around to face the water and tie it to one of those round things along the seawall of the malecon. The harbor master is to the left on the main drag and immigration is in town. Use the taxis. San Miguel is wide open and well lit, you can easily enter at night just watch out for the ferrys and cruiseships.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 18:56   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
The people I talked to used Rauscher's guide and ran aground 5 times with a 4.5' draft.
Ive got 3.5' draft and friends w local knowledge of Chetumal Bay so will hopefully fare better.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 07:24   #15

I wanted to provide an update on our experience. We checked out in Cozumel. Stayed in Marina Fonatur. Was $50 us for the night with water and electricity included. Cab into town. Port Captain was easy and friendly. Had to go to bank to pay fee and come back to PC. Then 15 minute walk to immigration in town. All together took about an hour. Easy Peazy. Looks like anchoring in front of port captain would work as others have said in settled weather. As info we left that afternoon and had 26 hour sail to San Pedro. About 170 miles. Thanks again everyone for their replies.

Tags
Belize, cancun