Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2022, 05:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Best Caribbean island / area to live ON LAND?

You could ..... off course.....just hang out in Florida...or several other " cruising spots"...ie, Chesapeake Bay, Maine, etc.

Lots of good sailing, interesting places to go to and so on and never leave the mother country. This will give mama the security she is looking for while getting her feet wet.

The Bahamas are only 60 miles distant from Florida's south coast. The Florida Keys might provide yet another locale.

Going to the Caribbean requires some experience, knowledge and a commitment. It doesn't sound like you are anywhere near ready for that yet.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:55   #17

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
My favorite is Guadalupe. Lots of water. Personally I prefer French culture and food.
How are taxes, and property in Guadeloupe?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:33   #18

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I think the OP first needs to research the legality of moving to another country for over a year. Some places will not issue you a visa to do that. I'm no expert but...

Antigua has a buy-in dual citizenship.. whatever it's called. If you spend like $150k on property, they offer you citizenship and you don't have to deal with visas and possibly getting kicked out. There may be tax incentives to dual citizenship as well. I don't think this type of program is that unusual and may be available in other islands.

Belize used to offer a quasi citizenship to anyone who renewed a 12mo visa. But I believe they may have ended this program.(?) However, I still think Belize is easy to stay for long periods, and it is relatively cheap compared to the USA anyway.

There are some places where outsiders are not very welcome, especially if you need local jobs. I have a friend (American) who lived a few years in the USVI and the locals didn't like it. She had a hard time getting work and was regularly discriminated against. I've been to several islands where I felt like I was just a dollar sign to the locals (Dominique, St. Lucia) and I probably wouldn't like living there. Grenada and P.R. were the opposite, they were very welcoming! But just because they welcome a cruiser who's going to drop some coin and leave, doesn't mean they would welcome a permanent outsider moving in. I can't say...
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:09   #19

Boat: Leopard 45

Puerto Rico does have a lot to offer including being part of the US. Housing and land are still cheap and they have Costco! If you are looking for a smaller island with a sence of community you can go ten miles off Puerto Rico to the Spanish virgin Island of Culebra (still a part of Puerto Rico and US) which only has a population of about 1,200 with great crusing and large protected bays.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 15:09   #20

Prioritization:

What is best for your children, 3 and 6?
Schools.
Language skills.
Lifestyle.

Much further down the list, what is best for your wife, then at the bottom is your bestest place.

Immigration would be of a first factor as to a long stay visa.

Boating, a non-essential, just a hobby.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 22:55   #21

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

my question to you is:

how curious/determined are you in regard to other cultures/languages?

it would be fantastic to put your kids through a school in which they study another language (bilingual kids rock!), but only if you and your wife can totally embrace the culture and its quirks yourselves.

i'm thinking of the french islands here. these are open to me as i have nationality, decades of experience in the land of the baguette, and am fluent (still don't get their jokes but am dubious...); but geez holy, you would not believe how many times i say the word "compliqué" each an every day!

coming from a country/culture where 'anything is possible', where folks often say 'just do it' to a culture where there is a rule for a rule and a regulation for a regulation, it takes more than grit, believe me.

also, as far as the french islands are concerned, my understanding is that food is imported from france daily, so, unless you like locally grown veggies and such, the cost of feeding your kids common things like yogurt is likely to hurt a bit.

if your wife is not so very on board with the whole idea, then i'd play it safe with Puerto Rico, and this because, while you have sailing, she will need to find friends and ways to be happy herself.

quite a few men find out too late it seems so i'll go off on a limb here:

when women become moms, they put their own dreams, desires on hold. no choice on this one: it is hormonal. but when those highly intensive mom-years draw to a close and the kids get more independent, those dreams and desires can often come flooding back, as in look out, here they come! female mid-life crisis often looks like this. so do take care when you relocate so that you can sail: does she have time for herself? does she a social network? is she kindling personal meaning and striving for personal goals, beyond the kids?

so... getting her onboard with your boat dream ... maybe if she met with other couples raising kids on boats, maybe if she could see that it is not only possible but so rich in terms of experience?

there are a few videos out there about kids who were raised aboard. perhaps start with this. there some quite remarkable boat kids out there! if i could do it all again (and i knew it back then... geez, always listen to that little voice!), i would have done the whole family thing afloat!!!

good luck

wolfgal
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 23:40   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
How are taxes, and property in Guadeloupe?
The only time I spent ashore there was at a small family hotel. I imagine property and taxes are high. It is part of France. Seems best would be to rent and apply for an extended visa.
If you are looking for permanent residency you might look at St. John.
I found people in the USVI friendly and welcoming but I also get along with Parisians.
People used to ask how I could live there when everyone was so rude to Americans. I told them that they are rude to each other too.
All about attitude.
BVI nice but getting residency is hard. Took me forever to get a work permit there.
Of course lots of money solves many of those problems. Find a local business partner.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 20:02   #23

Cuba.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:44   #24

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I've only been to Bahamas, Puerto Rico, USVI, and Dominican Republic.

SO far, I would only live in Dominican Republic. Low crime. Not so corrupt government. Taxes are higher than most Caribbean countries, but lower than USA.

People are nice, and accepting of outsiders, even if you are there to stay long term, or just a tourist.

I've never felt threatened, or in danger there, even wandering afar from the tourist areas.

Property is affordable, and the infrastructure is very modern compared to most 3rd world.

They have a growing middle class, and a (couple) modern freeways.

I've also heard good things about St Lucia, and Dominica. Two places I'd like to check out after Covid is over.

I originally was looking into Puerto Rico because it's part of the USA, and I found several great deals on property there.

I found my realtor there was hiding property, (Claiming it was already sold, when it plainly wasn't) because a friend/family member wanted to buy it.

I was treated like a criminal if I went to look at a property with the wrong realtor.

Blockbusting, and nepotism are common, and socially accepted, and corruption bribes, and payoffs is just how things are done.

Eventually about the time the governor stole several billions leaving lights, and water inoperative, I gave up.

Can't recommend.

Beautiful island though, and I'm sure if you buy into a condo, or resort, not that bad.
Forget about Puerto Rico. Huge cultural difference.
Damn beautiful, but nepotism, and anti-American/anti-white racism thrives. I am not even American but feel rhe pinch. And
I am here, and after three years I am checking out. Can't take the anti-white poor service and disrespect. On the surface all looks well, but don't be fooled. All American banks withdrew from PR - don't wonder why.

BVI same thing. USVI an option- there English is well accepted.

I am considering Curaçao
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:56   #25

Roatan has the right balance for me and English is widely spoken.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:09   #26

Boat: Bali 4.8 Sailing Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
Forget about Puerto Rico. Huge cultural difference.
Damn beautiful, but nepotism, and anti-American/anti-white racism thrives. I am not even American but feel rhe pinch. And
I am here, and after three years I am checking out. Can't take the anti-white poor service and disrespect. On the surface all looks well, but don't be fooled. All American banks withdrew from PR - don't wonder why.

BVI same thing. USVI an option- there English is well accepted.
Very much the same experience here after a couple visit to PR.

We've been "stuck" in St. Maarten (dutch side) for about 6 weeks now and very impressed with this island. Major airport, many nearby islands, booming economy, friendly locals, beaches everywhere, busy when you want, slow when you don't, and perhaps the world's greatest food.
Bali43Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:13   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

I am finishing up my 7 years in St Thomas USVI. It takes a fat wallet to live here. Everything is 20% more expensive comparing to Florida. Housing is $800K to $1.5M for something that is safe and livable.

It is a melting pot of cultures, immigrants from DR, Haiti and Dominica. Power outages are a daily events, electric service is the most expensive in the world. After Irma and Maria I had no power for 4 months. We collect rainwater and buy drinking water in 5 gallon jugs. Public schools are very weak so private schools are the only option. Get ready for big bills here like 20K per kid per year. Finding a job or crating it is easy if you have any type of professional level expertise or mechanical skills. Tourism is big here so plenty of jobs in hotel and restaurant industry. Crime is huge here but it’s gang and drugs related. Picking a safe area to live is essential. 90% of murders goes unsolved. Health care is reasonably good but no access to highly specialized expertise. You can’t get individual health insurance here so you have to buy from your employer or be on Medicare. Government is bloated, corrupt, ineffective. nepotism is common. The only good thing about living here is nature, climate and ocean access. Dockage will cost you bout $1100 per month plus utilities for 40-50 foot vessel.

I like PR more because there is more to do there. PR is cheaper if you shop carefully and live outside San Juan.
Spanish culture is generally easier to adopt to. PR is much larger than USVI so more options for housing and schools.
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:14   #28

Boat: Taswell 43

After living in Okinawa for 3 years (with our 2 daughters), 11 years in The Philippines and 2 years in Hong Kong(without kids, they were grown and gone), we have been to and own property in Belize (but have chosen not to build/go there yet-we're only 76), we have a place in St Thomas, USVI, and we live on our 43' sailboat 6 months of the year.... life is VERY different in the 3rd world/non-US world! Not bad, just very different, in a thousand little ways! And "island time" is a way of life....you will not change it; learn to live with it, or be super frustrated! The only way to know-is to go there, rent for a while, and "try it on". For some folks, it really clicks...exploring other cultures, foods, living styles, etc can be a real kick. For others-it's absolute hell!! Or...Maybe buy a boat and live on it, in the Caribb, for 3-6months a year, sail around and check places out, and then return to your land base? Selling out and moving overseas can be a big, expensive step....and costly to undo.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:27   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Wd are 71 and 69 and just sold our US house. We have a small hunting cabin in the US and our cabin in Newfoundland. For 2 years been stuck in the US on the boat looking to get back to the Carib.

At some point we will need a land base, unless we die aboard, maybe. We have been doing a low effort search for places to live and can not find anything in the US East Coast that appeals to us. We are looking at PR, Panama, Portugal. Who knows where we will end up. We are following this thread with interest.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:54   #30

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

If you are unwilling/unable to learn Spanish then dont go to a Spanish speaking country. Yes, they do have an attitude about mainlanders who wont or cant learn Spanish. It is a matter of respect. If you have some for them then they will have some for you. Dont imagine that other people will change to suit you when you are in THEIR country/island.

By the way, kids will learn languages with no problem at all if they are exposed to it. On the other hand if they only hang out with English speakers they wont learn it any more than you will.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib