Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 06:49   #46

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)
Re: Bahamas verse Caribbean

Bahamas and Caribbean to a certain extend is more or less the same if you are on a boat. They mostly cater to wealthy American tourists.
I don't know what your expectations are but if I were you I would either lower my expectations and enjoy, learn different cultures or stay in the US so that you can stay in expensive marinas, find blend food in every corner and be happy and clueless like thousands of other boaters.
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:00   #47

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So we had a real crappy 16 hour trip here in the Bahamas the other day. It was one of those trips that result in conversions with your spouse of getting out of boating and moving on to something else. This is our third time in the Bahamas so our exceptions of the place has lowered to the reality of what it really is (and that is OK). But last year the plan was to come to the Bahamas and then continue to the Caribbean, but Corvid arrived. This year Corvid still is causing too many restrictions so we will be going back to US next month. So that now means the 2020 Bahamas to Caribbean plan is now moved to 2022, maybe.

This brings me back to the crappy trip that makes you think of moving on from boating. I have done enough planning on how to get to the caribbean from the Bahamas to know we face some crappy trip sections. So given that we feel the Bahamas does not meet up to a lot of expectations, will the caribbean?

What do others that have cruised both feel? Is the caribbean experience over the Bahamas worth the crappy crossing parts? I want to go, but worry all i will get is “We went through that crap just for this!”

In my mind the difference between the Bahamas and the Caribbean is like the difference between the desert and the mountains. I wonder if this is even close.
Some places in the Caribbean are turning towards moorings, mainly to cater for the charter boats and also to prevent bottom damage. Go to the BVIs and expect to pay $30 a night plus all of the prime locations have moorings - you can anchor outside of the mooring field but it is of course deeper and not so convenient to go ashore. The USVI National parks charge $23 a night but it’s the same deal. Even in Charlotte Amalie we had to pay for an anchoring permit.
I still think that the Caribbean is worth the effort, especially stopping on the way like DR and PR.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:09   #48

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lipari 41

Having spent time in the Bahamas as well as the the Windward and Leeward islands, Mexico and parts of Central America, GordMay is correct. Getting there, then cruising any of these areas can be difficult. It takes a lot of enthusiasm to get through the rough patches. I don't want to assume too much here, but it sounds like your heart really isn't in it.

Did I think going far was worth it? Absolutely!!! But then I'd dreamed of going to those places for a long time and was willing to look past any difficulties.

I will say this, I've never met an active cruiser or one that's buried the anchor that didn't think their sailing adventures were a highlight of their lives. So if you still have some gas left, don't stop!
rwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:10   #49

Boat: Seapiper 35

The fundamental difference is the wind typically blows from one direction +/_ 45degrees in the Caribbean. Make certain you can reef your sails for 15-35 knots which is no big deal if your are proficient in reefing. There are few cold fronts. Water is typically deeper and the anchorages offer better protection from the wind because the wind is more predictable. Sailing is better as well as the sleeping!
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:13   #50

Boat: Morgan O/I 41'

We are currently in St Thomas and have been since December. Our plans were to meander back down to Martinique then back here. However, due to covid we elected to stay here due to the testing requirements and costs with each island. I would however, say the caribbean is much more interesting than the Bahamas. Plus, the Bahamas screw you on check in fees. The French islands are the best and cheapest to check into.

So, when covid crap lifts we will definitely be back here (the caribbean).

We will be leaving here on the April 14th to return to Jacksonville via Ft Lauderdale. So, we will be going west through the Old Bahama channel.
CaptnKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:22   #51

Boat: Leopard 40

I'm not a fan of the Bahamas. It's too expensive. When we were on that side of the pond, we went down to the Caribbean every winter.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:25   #52

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Winter in the Bahamas can be rough. It is cold in the northern Cays and there are the constant cyclical cold fronts bringing north winds and chilly weather. We head over in April for a few months for pleasant weather.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:27   #53

I cruised from Panama to Maine and back in 2019/2020 through the Bahamas twice but nowhere else in the Caribbean. The OP questions were the topic of lots of conversations during the whole trip and here’s where I came down on the subject:
1. The Bahamas waters beaches are beautiful. But, all things considered below, it’s a bit like “Groundhog Day”. Same thing over and over again.
2. Fresh food availability, quality and value are poor and not much better in many places in the Caribbean.
3. The people in the Bahamas are friendly. And, less so in many other parts of C.
4. Check in and out once in Bahamas in a VERY easy process. Less so in other parts of C.
5. I like to have some interesting history and cultural things to learn about and see. Limited in Bahamas, maybe better in other parts of C.
6. Poverty and crime maybe worse in C.
7. Lots of charter boats and Captains - with paying clients - that aggressively hog best Anchorage’s. Continuing the hearsay from my conversations.

So, on balance, Bahamas might be the best thing about the C and if it doesn’t hold your interest, move on.
The East coast of the US was great and I prefer the Sea of Cortez for my warm water addiction.
Ricko600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:40   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
What do others that have cruised both feel? Is the caribbean experience over the Bahamas worth the crappy crossing parts? I want to go, but worry all i will get is “We went through that crap just for this!”

In my mind the difference between the Bahamas and the Caribbean is like the difference between the desert and the mountains. I wonder if this is even close.
Not a lit of time to post right now BUT this is a good part if the answer for me. But there is so much more. Culture, sailing, variety, etc.

We did the Thorny Path. The last bit across Mona and east were fine. Getting to Luperon SUCKED. But we like DR a lot.

Having been forced North to the USA we have an ongoing discussion about our trip back.

We could kill a few beers with this discussion.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:59   #55

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Spent time in the Bahamas as well as the Caribbean. Both are delightful for different reasons.

The issue that many cruisers have is the patience to pick a good or at least a suitable weather window to make the trip from the US through the Bahamas to the Caribbean.

For example, spending 2 to 6 weeks in the Dominican Republic waiting out weather may not be what many imagine.

I would not hesitate to make the trip from Florida to Grenada again knowing it make take 6 weather and seasonal dependent months to get there.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:10   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The E Caribe gives more of a cultural experience I guess, like the French Islands, food, cafes etc. So if you desire more of that then go. But anchorages can be crowded, water dirty etc too.
To me, my favorite part of the entire E Caribe is the Bahamas though. There is just so much gunkholing etc available, clean clear water.
But too much of anything can be too much I suppose.

Past the Bahamas I enjoyed most the DR, St Martin/Guadeloupe and Trinidad for the culture.
It's really what you want that should drive it. Are you a snorkeler, diver, like the outback and isolation? or do you want to food a drink and to party! Although it's not black or white either way. :>)

Very well put Cheekako....we're back in the Bahamas for the umtheeth time and every time I am here I yell out OH MY GOSH I LOVE IT HERE FOR THE WATER! The cultural contrast of leaving the Keys for even just Bimini our first stepping stone this trip is staggering. I'd rather be in a place where everybody says morning morning, good day, good night and doesn't just start in with questions like "do you know/have... but asks you how you're doing first. Despite the COVID mess we're going back to the West Indies because we miss the CULTURE, LOUD MUSIC and FOOD and our experience has been the restrictions rules look far worse on paper than what we have experienced last year and so far this year. Part of the adventure is continuing to make this work with the new challenges. You invested a lot of time, money, and 17,000+ CF posts, to get here so stay with it and don't give up too soon!
TonyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:29   #57

Quote:
So we had a real crappy 16 hour trip here in the Bahamas the other day. It was one of those trips that result in conversions with your spouse of getting out of boating and moving on to something else. This is our third time in the Bahamas so our exceptions of the place has lowered to the reality of what it really is (and that is OK). But last year the plan was to come to the Bahamas and then continue to the Caribbean, but Corvid arrived. This year Corvid still is causing too many restrictions so we will be going back to US next month. So that now means the 2020 Bahamas to Caribbean plan is now moved to 2022, maybe.

This brings me back to the crappy trip that makes you think of moving on from boating. I have done enough planning on how to get to the caribbean from the Bahamas to know we face some crappy trip sections. So given that we feel the Bahamas does not meet up to a lot of expectations, will the caribbean?

Hi Sailorboy1, I've seen some of the other responses that you didn't particularly like... I thought they were fair because the question is kind of open. So, well, maybe you won't like mine, but I'll offer it anyway.

Firstly, I don't know you or what you find enjoyable or not enjoyable and to answer your question usefully, that's important. For example, if someone were to say, "I hated visiting the United States, would I like Canada more?" That depends... if they hated their visit to New York City because they prefer wilderness, then they would enjoy lots of Canada. If they hated their visit to Wyoming because they prefer mountains, then they might like British Columbia more.

Each island in the Caribbean is very different. Hell, even different islands within the Bahamas are different. I worked in both Nassau as well as Freeport and even those are wildly different. So to figure out what makes a rough crossing "worth it" is going to depend on what you enjoy and how much you enjoy it.

I would find a rough crossing "worth it" to get all the way to Trinidad & Tobago. I loved the food and people. (again, I wasn't sailing there so YMMV). My wife did too. T&T is not overrun by tourists but you must be more aware of your safety. Cuba on the other hand, I truly enjoyed the environment, but my wife hated the food... she definitely wouldn't take a difficult walk across the street to go back, let alone a rough sail crossing. BVI's are where I fell in love with sailing and I often dream about being able to head back there on the sailboat... I would take a rough crossing to get there. Jamaica? I had a bad experience working downtown Kingston and would definitely not choose to sail there. My folks lived in St. Lucia for a while and it was my father's dream spot; I liked the island and visited numerous times, but with an eye on the water, I wasn't sure how long that would keep me entertained if I had a boat... lovely for a while I'm sure, but there are only so many places to anchor.

So I guess it comes down to your expectations? What are you expecting? What do you truly enjoy? What would "make it worth it" to you? If we know that, then we can help you judge whether the destination is worth the pain.
... for that matter, I guess your view of how much you hate sailing / crossing, to get to a destination is almost important. Hell, that's the part I'd look forward to. :-) I'll likely have lots of free time in 2022, so you lend me your boat, you take a plane, and I'll bring the boat down (pandemic being over by then, right?).

p.s. I'm interested to hear about your view of the Bahamas. I've had a few vastly different experiences there. I once had a client in Nassau; I asked them to not make any special arrangements for lunch and we'd just eat wherever they did locally... expecting some "Caribbean Cuisine". We ended up eating at Quiznos for 4 of my 5 days there. *sigh* Freeport, on the other hand, one of the guys I worked with took me out for "lunch" on his boat... he jumped overboard, freedived and brought back a couple conch which we ate Bahamian style "raw" (cooked in Lemon/lime juice). There are lots of other islands, the difference between staying near Atlantis vs anchoring near Major Cay just seems so wildly different... what is your experience?

J.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:10   #58

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Just don’t come to the Bahamas in the winter and early spring when it’s so damn windy......
so when to visit? wait for for hurricane season!!
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:02   #59

Quote:
So we had a real crappy 16 hour trip here in the Bahamas the other day. It was one of those trips that result in conversions with your spous

WHY was the cruise crappy? Awfully vague here. Bad, rough weather and crossing or other stuff?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:07   #60

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'd also rate the Bahamas as my preference, over the Eastern Caribbean.

We've been to the Bahamas about 12 times, and the Eastern Caribbean 3 times (Virgin Islands to Trinidad). I can't add anything to the thread that hasn't already been said about the Eastern Caribbean.

Ditto for the Bahamas.

If you haven't been to the Caribbean, YES it's worth it.

But, I also agree with Gord's post, post #2.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, rib