Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 09:45   #1

Best Liveaboard locations in PR / USVI

Hey all. New to the forum here. I am in prep stage of planning a year or two liveaboard on a 40 ft catamaran with my wife and two kids (4 and 7 years old). We are currently in NY, but plan on sailing down to either the USVI or Puerto Rico and either mooring or taking a slip somewhere. I’d love if anyone has any sort of suggestions. PR is obviously more affordable it seems, but are thereany not too expensive spots in the USVI? The reason for these two locations is because my wife works in medicine and would need to fly home once a month for work needs- and PR and USVI are the easiest and most affordable to get to and from via plane to NY. Thanks in advance!
KyleNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:37   #2

Re: Best Liveaboard locations in PR / USVI

I live on St. John, and can help you out a bit. There are no marina's on St. John, only moorings. They are all National Park mooring, and there are a few anchorages in the area as well. St. Thomas has a few marinas to choose from, but can get quite expensive. I travel regularly for work as well so I completely understand your travel needs. It's an amazing place to raise kids. I have 3 (5, 3, and 4 months). The nature, the laid back pace, and outdoor activities make it a spot you can't find else where. And there are plenty of island kids around the same ages that are always at the beaches.
USVIDPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 06:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kyle, & YSVIDPO.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:10   #4

Best Liveaboard locations in PR / USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIDPO View Post
I live on St. John, and can help you out a bit. There are no marina's on St. John, only moorings. They are all National Park mooring, and there are a few anchorages in the area as well. St. Thomas has a few marinas to choose from, but can get quite expensive. I travel regularly for work as well so I completely understand your travel needs. It's an amazing place to raise kids. I have 3 (5, 3, and 4 months). The nature, the laid back pace, and outdoor activities make it a spot you can't find else where. And there are plenty of island kids around the same ages that are always at the beaches.

Based on your local experience and knowledge I would appreciate your recommendations on local anchorages/moorings that are less crowded yet pleasant and suitable for overnight stays. Im familiar with the all the heavily trafficked areas but were looking for the less traveled and quieter spots. Thank you in advance for your help!
agnein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:39   #5

Boat: IP 370

NW corner of Hassle Island. Close to Crown Bay Marina & Frenchtown.
Journeys End is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard