Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 07:49   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Anyone been to Mantinicus Maine Recently?

Have always wanted to stop by Mantinicus on my Maine trips and was hoping someone on the forum could provide some information.
Spoke to one individual who had been there years ago and stated that you cannot anchor in the harbor because there is a lot of chain on the bottom. You must pick up a mooring that they would provide for you by moving around some of the Lobster boats.
Also is there room for a catamaran in there?
Are there any other places to anchor other than the harbor?
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 08:51   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Anyone been to Mantinicus Maine Recently?

We were there last summer. We picked up mooring on the weather side of the harbor - the only ones available as far as I know. It was very rough...I was glad we were just there for a day stop. We picked a mooring. Even if they allowed snchorimg i wouldnt hsve....too exposed. We had lunch, did a little hiking, grabbed an ice cream cone and sailed on. It is a short sail from burnt island, an ouwatd bound destination and site of hiking trails with beautiful views of the shore....spend the night anchored there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 13:36   #3

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I take it all back. Our experience was at Monhegan Island which I confused with Mantinicus -- close, but not the same place. Sorry for the confusion.

(also sorry for the sloppy smartphone autocorrecting!)
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 06:19   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
... you cannot anchor in the harbor because there is a lot of chain on the bottom. You must pick up a mooring ...
The harbor bottom is primarily composed of very large flat rocks. Large chains have been laid across the rocks and mooring gear is attached to links in the chains. Most visitors find space pretty far away from the landing, and moorings in at the landing are usually occupied by residents.

The usual custom at Matinicus is to pick up a mooring and wait until someone shows up to collect the fee. Matinicus is a lovely spot, eerie and beautiful, and definitely "in the ocean." However it's also a working harbor and visitors are not the primary industry.

They may still have the hot dog truck once a week. This was considered a major event in the day.
Old 28-07-2016, 06:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Have always wanted to stop by Mantinicus on my Maine trips and was hoping someone on the forum could provide some information.
Spoke to one individual who had been there years ago and stated that you cannot anchor in the harbor because there is a lot of chain on the bottom. You must pick up a mooring that they would provide for you by moving around some of the Lobster boats.
Also is there room for a catamaran in there?
Are there any other places to anchor other than the harbor?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
A large cat will not likely fit inside the harbor at Matinicus. You could anchor just outside the harbor in settled NW conditions or better yet anchor on the outer edges of the harbor at Criehaven and dinghy over to Matinicus. There is also a nice spot, in settled SW or NW conditions, between Pudding Island and Shag Ledge off the Northern tip of Criehaven with about 9-12' at a normal low tide... But do be careful as there are some ledges/erratics in there that do not show up on the chart..

Tags
maine