Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 04:12   #1

UK to OZ (eventually) ADVICE

I'm looking at purchasing about a 44 to 46 foot yacht in the UK (may have to store in the UK for a while) and sailing to the MED to store over winter, then to go back during summer and experience the MED for a while before heading across the Atlantic. I'll have to do this over various stages as I can't get a heap of time off work at the moment. Where would be the best place to dry store in the UK and in the Med? What would be the latest time of the year to tackle the crossing from the UK to the MED? Also, what are the bureaucratic types of paperwork that I may require?

Thanks in anticipation.
kim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:27   #2

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56
Re: UK to OZ (eventually) ADVICE

If time is limited buy in europe rather than uk. Its a big place and you dont want to spend your 2 or 3 months you can allocate to just passage making. The trip across the atlantic will take you at least a month, and up to 2 if waiting for weather windows. We spent 12 months teavelling from carribean to australia and felt was way too hurried, will break that part into 3 x 6 month blocks next time.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 19:57   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've friends who bought an ex-charter boat in the Med. They elected to store their boat in Panama prior to the Pacific crossing, and again, in Papeete, before returning to Oz.

Ann
Old 22-06-2016, 03:33   #4

Thanks Folks

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Do the trip over several stages and try to dry store the boat wherever possible. I wouldn't like to just simply do a delivery...there's way too much to miss!

Thanks Kim
kim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 06:00   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

All the cockroaches you bring must have EU pet passports and your boat will get fumigated at every stop. I know this hurts but we are trying here to catch up with the leading countries, like Austr .... ooooopppppsssss!!!!! ;-)

Take it slow. Store on the continent as Canary Islands are not catamaran lifting friendly!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 01:01   #6

ex charter boats in Croatia are cheap, but will need setting up for bluewater cruising. Storage on the hard in Greece not too expensive. At Aktio marina, Preveza (west coast Greece) maybe 2500 euros for 9-10 months. It is questionable to buy in Europe and then sail it to Oz just because you think you'll get a boat cheaply. You'll be lucky to make a 20% saving let alone the risks involved in sailing around the world and the time it takes to do it. If what you want is a boat in Oz, buy in Oz.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 01:06   #7
cruiser

WARNING:

After sailing for one summer in the Med, you won't want to leave. Or, you will leave and almost immediately want to return... for many reasons.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 01:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

wait a year or so,there will soon be many non-eu flagged british boats on the market in the med.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 01:49   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

We don't want EU cockroaches we've already got German cockroaches and they are little buggers to get rid of.

In Queensland they have big black ones that appear to be able to fly for miles and three of them can pull down a fox terrier dog and devour it. The up side is they are generally too big to get under doors.

Buying in Europe and returning in easy stages is a good plan even if you cannot make a profit on the deal. To do Europe from Australia you first have to get there across the Indian Ocean and either around the bottom of Africa or through the Suez canal either of which is not the best voyages these days, you're in much more civilized territory across the Atlantic and Pacific, she's pretty well mostly downhill.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 01:52   #10

Brexit will take more than two years if at all. Schengen is a different thing and the terms for Brits might vary considerably. For example, New Zealanders can stay in an Eu country for 3 months then go to another EU country for three months and so on. Australia just didn't think that smart originally.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote