Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 19:42   #1

Boat: None
Traveling Europe Looking to Meet

SOOOOO I've been working on my plans to get things moving. As of now it looks like I'm going to be doing some European traveling and hoping to meet people along the way and maybe do a little sailing while I'm at it. Anyone over there or know anyone they can put me in touch with???
alana9573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:01   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Traveling Europe looking to meet.

I saw her first .

You got any dates / months in mind? and any must see / wanna see places or countries?

As everyone knows , Old_Jersey is an island just off the North end of France......So, not as hot & sunny as the Med in the summer, but we have our moments . On an island 9 x 5 in miles, albeit with 100k plus of people, it ain't exactly "exciting", but that is part of it's attraction (I have done "exciting" ). On the upside you won't need to bring a gun, bear spray, or an axe to greet any Pirates . For visitors I reckon a week before it gets too boring . .....I would therefore call a visit to DOJ_Land more of a brief diversion than a destination to plan a trip to Europe around!

Would be happy to offer you a berth onboard, the main catch is that you would need to be self sufficient and self entertaining as me very sensibly lives ashore . No guarantee on any sailing , but a fair chance. If you are comfortable with motorbikes might even include a run through France (Paris for Lunch? ).

All strictly on a "no monkey business" basis - am firmly on the "why not?" end of life, plus I have a large Karma deficit to fill from a past life .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:43   #3

Well I'm wanting to see as much as I can. I have made a list I believe right now because it's cold over there this is considered off season which means I can probably get more bang for my buck. I'm looking into getting a eurail pass and possibly staying at hostels around the way.
At this point I think I may be coming into Dublin on the 4th spending about a week there before hopping over to the UK and possibly hitting Glasgow, Edinburg, Manchester and London. My thing is I would probably have to stay along the eurail path and unless they have a sidetrack rail I can jump onto I don't know other ways to get around cheaply. I'm not sure how much it would cost to rent a car and personally considering your driving is different over there than over here I would probably be scared to do it that way lol.
Any tips on a better way to do this to see more. Trust me I would LOVE to get sailing in there but I'm also aware that the weather may be working against me somewhat here.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:42   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Traveling Europe Looking to Meet

The 4th of what month

Dave
Old 10-02-2014, 06:30   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The 4th of what month

Dave
If March that pretty much rules out a visit to Old_Jersey . My boat will not be habitable by then - plus not set up for living on when cold (no heating for a start).....and a fair to middling chance it will (still!) be that in early March. Plus when it is wet, windy and cold even less to do over here! / less point of visiting.

Also the only hostels we have over here are for our homeless men - likely you would be a popular guest, but I suspect a few downsides as well . Jersey not set up for low budget travellers, certainly not on the backpacker circuit! (Lonely Planet Guidebook style).

Can't really comment on the delights of the UK mainland - but weather will be crappier than here . You probably won't need any sun block .

In addition to Trains the UK also pretty well set up for cheap coach travel - at least between populated areas. As a rough guide, the further south you travel the higher the cost of living gets.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Also the only hostels we have over here are for our homeless men - likely you would be a popular guest, but I suspect a few downsides as well . Jersey not set up for low budget travellers, certainly not on the backpacker circuit! (Lonely Planet Guidebook style).

Several hostels listed on the interwebby see Jersey - Durrell Wildlife Hostel | YHA
!!!
dave
Old 11-02-2014, 00:56   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Several hostels listed on the interwebby see Jersey - Durrell Wildlife Hostel | YHA
!!!
dave
That's more on the self catering side than the usual backpacker style hostel - I tried to click on some prices but with no joy, which I suspect means priced as many things are over here .

Besides, it's located pretty much in the middle of nowhere .
Old 11-02-2014, 02:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alana9573 View Post
At this point I think I may be coming into Dublin on the 4th spending about a week there before hopping over to the UK and possibly hitting Glasgow, Edinburg, Manchester and London.

I would LOVE to get sailing in there but I'm also aware that the weather may be working against me somewhat here.
Well, if you are in Manchester then there is sailing in Liverpool (20 miles away) usually at weekends. You also need to be aware that the UK is not a warm place at this time of year and out on the Mersey Basin or Liverpool it is very cold. Ten metre tides (32 feet) as well....
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 17:08   #9

Hey all. I've been busy getting my plans together. Even though I know it's cold it makes it off season which means it's cheaper for me to go. I can deal with cold hell I lived in Alaska for 3 years thanks to Uncle Sam.

So as it stands now I will be flying into Dublin on the 2/26 and then to the UK on 3/2 from there I'm supposed to meet up with someone and RV down to his boat in Greece and then do a little sailing but if all that doesn't pan out I guess I will be on my own just wandering around for a few months lol. If that's the case anyone willing to take in a wanderer for a little while ?????
Old 26-02-2014, 19:56   #10
Rav

Boat: Semaster Sailer 23

Hi.

Is it a big RV?
Do you have room for an outboard?!! :-)
And, maybe, a dalmatian? :-)
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:32   #11

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

If your plans involve a visit to the Netherlands you're welcome to visit us. I can't promise anything about sailing, our own boat is still out of the water. But I have a lot of friends on the Dutch sailor's forum (Zeilersforum.nl - Home) and I'm pretty sure I can arrange a sailing trip for you on Dutch waters. Just give me a PM if you're interrested.

Timo
ilCigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:08   #12

Quote:
So as it stands now I will be flying into Dublin on the 2/26 and then to the UK on 3/2 from there I'm supposed to meet up with someone and RV down to his boat in Greece and then do a little sailing but if all that doesn't pan out I guess I will be on my own just wandering around for a few months lol. If that's the case anyone willing to take in a wanderer for a little while ?????
Is it just me or does this sound like the lead in to a bad horror movie?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 00:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Is it just me or does this sound like the lead in to a bad horror movie?
lmao well I hope not being as I made it to my destination lol all you need is a little faith and balls.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:26   #14

Quote:
lmao well I hope not being as I made it to my destination lol all you need is a little faith and balls.
Sorry if I made the guy sound like a crazed serial killer. I know 99% of folks are good people and maybe it was just the way the paragraph was written but it sure sounded like the one sentance summary they would give.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:51   #15

oh yeah trust me my family has been worried but I've been staying in touch and he's a nice man lol. So far so good things are going just smoothly. Off to Athens tomorrow!!!

Tags
Europe, rope, europe