Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 10:18   #91

Re: Sardinia Squad

Hi, just to introduce myself, I am a Brit but I actually live in Sardinia, I own a villa in the seven brothers mountains east of Cagliari city with my partner and two kids. We are taking sailing lessons this Oct and hope to buy a Cat to sail around for next summer so would be interested in meeting other "yachties" if you are about in 2017 (assuming I can find a boat I like by then and can pass my ICC). Any tips on moorings and stuff would be good too.
SpinDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:30   #92
cruiser

Welcome aboard! We'll be starting 2017 near Venice and spending most of the season in Croatia, but I know of several squad members starting out in Olbia.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:23   #93

Hi everyone! As a relative newbie to the Med and Sardinia, I was wondering if I could get some tips regarding long-term storage etc.

Some background: We are a relatively young family with work obligations meaning we mostly use the boat in July-August, around 4-7 weeks. Possibly a trip or two in September/October or April/May.

We have had an annual contract with a marina in the Arzachena area with a good bus connection to Olbia.

Somehow I would feel safer if the boat was on the hard during the off-season. Problem is getting a birth for 6 months costs nearly as much as for 12 months so adding the cost of storage on the hard becomes too much.

We'd like to continue sailing in Sardinia and Corsica for a couple of seasons. What would be a good strategy when it comes to having a home base in Sardinia? Good tips on marinas and yards that would make at least some sort of sense financially? The boat is 12 meters long.
xjussix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:34   #94
cruiser

We've kept our boat on the hard at the Nausika shipyard in Olbia for two seasons, and our friend Sully keeps his boat there this season. It's a first class, very secure place ten minute access to the airport. We continue to use Nausika in the Adriatic. I highly recommend this company, please pm me for rate information.
Old 12-01-2017, 21:32   #95

Boat: Bavaria 38, 12 m
Send a message via Skype™ to olddream

Hi everybody in the Sardinia Squad,

happy to find you here! We (basically my wife, my 12 years old son and me) are based since 3 years in Alghero, Marina St. Elmo, with SY ACASADUE, our Bavaria 38. Our cruising radius is usually spreading from Alghero to Cagliari, Carloforte, Menorca, Street of Bonifacio, Capo Coda Cavallo, Maddalena ... and of course Corsica.

Highly pleased to meet you in the region!
olddream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 03:37   #96
cruiser

Welcome aboard!
Old 15-01-2017, 09:27   #97

Boat: Valiant 42

Hello Ken,

Can someone please update me on the rules for cruising under non EU flag in EU waters. How long can someone cruise without having to pay VAT? How long must one be out of the EU before returning to EU waters? Which countries are the closest non EU countries where one can exit the EU and stay safely for a while before returning?

Mike
mwmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 09:45   #98
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmsea View Post
Hello Ken,

Can someone please update me on the rules for cruising under non EU flag in EU waters. How long can someone cruise without having to pay VAT? How long must one be out of the EU before returning to EU waters? Which countries are the closest non EU countries where one can exit the EU and stay safely for a while before returning?

Mike
18 months in the EU then one day out to reset VAT clock. Countries to reset clock include: Montenegro, Albania, Tunisia and all of North Africa except for a small port in Northern Morocco), Gibraltar, Channel Islands (Guernsey), Israel and Turkey.
Old 15-01-2017, 10:17   #99

Ken,

Thank you very much! I had sailed there before and that was the rule but someone recently told me 3 months! Did not sound correct so happy to hear still 18 months. Lots of great places to sail and ports. I appreciate your help.

Why would the port in Northern Marocco not qualify?
Old 15-01-2017, 10:39   #100

Boat: wanting a cat

Wow!

The Caribbean is nice but the sailing in Europe looks breathtaking!

I was fortunate enough to cruise a good part of the continent back in the '80's in a cobra, but a boat to me, is the only way to do it.

This is the year of the cat!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:22   #101
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmsea View Post
Ken,

Thank you very much! I had sailed there before and that was the rule but someone recently told me 3 months! Did not sound correct so happy to hear still 18 months. Lots of great places to sail and ports. I appreciate your help.

Why would the port in Northern Marocco not qualify?
It's a part of Spain. I can't remember which one.
Old 15-01-2017, 11:34   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sardinia Squad

There's two.. Cueta opposite Gibraltar and Melilla opposite Almeria...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 09:06   #103

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Previously answered.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:29   #104

I am taking a Bavaria 46 around Sardinia in April / May and would appreciate any advice as to harbours and anchorages on the West coast, between Alghero and Isola di San Pietro as it is a part of the island that I have never visited before.

Bosa looks like it is worth stopping to see, has anyone stopped in the marina there?

My research indicates that there are mooring buoys in the lee of the Sinis Peninsula, provided by the National Park, has any one ever stopped there?

The nearby Marina di Torregrande looks like it is subject to silting up and might not be deep enough for the 46, so (again) has anyone stopped in there?

Are the ruins of Tharros worth visiting?

Anything else that I might need to look out for / visit on the West Coast (apart from keeping a good eye on the weather forecasts of course!)?

Martin
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 20:39   #105

Goodall,

Unfortunately not much help on the west side of Sardinia. If there are mooring ball fields belonging to national park just beware that you must pay a park fee in advance to utilise these.

If it is off season probably no one will care or notice since very little traffic until May.

Good luck and have fun.

Tags
Corsica, Italy