Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 19:47   #1

regulations, permits, visas, etc.

We're planning to spend a year in the Med sailing from place to place. Does anyone have a 'rule of thumb' when it comes to rules for sailboat requirements in the region? ie: What documentation is required? Sailing resume? approved USCG courses? boat insurance, visa's etc.

Thanks much!
Bananatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 20:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: regulations, permits, visas, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananatoe View Post
We're planning to spend a year in the Med sailing from place to place. Does anyone have a 'rule of thumb' when it comes to rules for sailboat requirements in the region? ie:
What documentation is required?
Sailing resume? approved USCG courses? boat insurance, visa's etc.
Thanks much!
Registration doc's, Bill of Sale/proof of ownership, minimum liability insurance, Skippers ticket of some form, visa's as standard 90 days usually...
current situation in Nth Africa makes the usual run to Tunisia etc to get outa the area for a bit difficult... so that leaves Turkey and Israel...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 23:54   #3

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: regulations, permits, visas, etc.

well i just renewed my pleasure craft permit ( 30euros tax form ena01 -3435 payable at tax office only ) last thursday as just put yacht in water after winter in alimos marina ( and that will be the first and last time there )
but one situation has arisen in that now you have to go to the local tax office to get your .88cent euro tax forms the port police no longer take payment or issue them and if i may suggest when you buy them buy about ten as most tax offices close at 1pm so if you decide to leave a port late afternoon you wont be able to pick up any these changes are due to the new austerity measures and the tax office trying to protect there jobs and also they now like to have your insurance docs also in greek as well as english but this year they seemed to be tougher on detail of paper work than they ever have in the past but having said that i sailed down to zea marina on friday to moor up yacht for a month and the port police there where very warm and friendly and had no probs
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananatoe
We're planning to spend a year in the Med sailing from place to place. Does anyone have a 'rule of thumb' when it comes to rules for sailboat requirements in the region? ie: What documentation is required? Sailing resume? approved USCG courses? boat insurance, visa's etc.

Thanks much!
As a minimum
(a) boat registration papers
(b) VHF license
(c) third party insurance preferably with a cover document in portuguese and Greek
(d) passports

Sorry meant to add that a competency cert is useful to have anything say like an ASA one.

For non EU citizens. You are only allowed 90 days in 180, totaled across all countries, that are members of the Schengen Area ( google for list) hence you need to plan the itinerary so that you don't overstay. ( however some immigrations are OK on overstays, some not). There is no normal tourist visa extension for schengen. So it's three months in schengen areas countries then off to turkey, Croatia , for 3 months and then back again. Or you can mix it up upto 90 days. ( sea time is normally excluded)

The boat can stay for 18 months in Eu countries before VAT is due

In effect it means overwintering in a non schengen country.

Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 05:06   #5

Thanks all. Very thoughtful responses.
I'm curious to learn more about a couple of specific areas.
Skippers ticket? I've been sailing for 15 years but don't have a formal ticket - Should I take a course or is there something online I can test from?
VHF license - I don't have a SSB license. Is that what is meant or is there another ticket for simple VHF?

Much obliged!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks all. Very thoughtful responses.
I'm curious to learn more about a couple of specific areas.
Skippers ticket? I've been sailing for 15 years but don't have a formal ticket - Should I take a course or is there something online I can test from?
VHF license - I don't have a SSB license. Is that what is meant or is there another ticket for simple VHF?

Much obliged!
A VHF licence is a basic radio operaters ticket....
tuition in the morning, exam in the afternoon...
its just to prove your capable and knowledgable enough to use a VHF responsibly in all circumstances ... Mayday,'Pan Pan's, relays, comms with authorities etc... there are set formula in emergencies... its more than a simple...
Boat "Help my boat is sinking.."
CG "What is your position"
Boat "Well.... I'm sitting at the chart table right now.."

The Skippers ticket is a must have... tho' some here may disagree...
I've seen 1st hand a boat refused departure because the skipper/owner had no qualifications... a basic Day Skipper or Coastal Skipper is usually good enough....
Meet a Latin Harbour Master on a bad day and all things are possible....
Cover your Ass is the way to go....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32   #7
Nearly an old salt

listen to Boatman61, years of widom......

BTW in the States, what you want for VHF is the VHF Restricted RadioTelephone Operator Permit. Both it and teh required Ships station License can be got from the FCC ( fees etc of course).

Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13   #8

Super grateful.
Would a Ham (Technician or General) suffice for radio permit?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Super grateful.
Doubt it... but you could try
BS often baffles brains....

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51   #10

Quote:
Super grateful.
No, you need a licence for the marine band.

In the UK you have the Ship's Licence for equipment (Free) and the Short Range Operator's Certificate (course run by RYA - not free).
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:24   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananatoe
Super grateful.
No the word vHF tends to be language independent and this is what they want to see if fact you could have a range of other radios on board but all that seems to be asked for is the VHF cert. ( free no exam from the FCC along with the ships radio license )

Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 13:34   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Most marinas ask for insurance (third party). Boat registration and passports can be checked at any time by authorities.

In theory one will like to carry some sort of skipper license and VHF license. But I have never been asked to show mine.

If you have a pet the pet must have standard pet documentation passport / vaccinations, etc..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 04:06   #13

Anyone had experience cruising back and forth between Greek and Turkish ports in the Aegean?
walkermar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 05:34   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38

Hi. I'm English and based in the Eastern Med year round.

Insurance, passports and ships papers is generally all you need. Greece is the only place we have been asked for skippers certificates. VHF licences are needed in Croatia. Countries like Croatia and Turkey say they require skippers licences, but only ask to see them if there has been an incident.

Generally the systems are based around bureaucracy not a desire to check for standards. We have heard of people using foreign driving licences as Skippers & VHF licences. Most officials cant read foreign (e.g. English) languages and have no idea what they are looking at.

In Portugal we got fed up continually having to take papers into every port we visited. Often the official came down in a vehicle and just asked stupid questions. We scanned and modified our ships papers to include the information we were being asked for (Epirb Hex Code, Do you know yours?) and printed out copies which we handed out when stopped. It worked perfectly especially as we had provided a Portuguesse translation. One evening when registering in a marina just outside Lisbon, we had insufficient cash on hand to pay for the electric meter and gate key. The marina staff offered to take our 'papers' as security. It was so tempting to tear up our papers when we returned the key!

Don't get bogged down, just smile and pretend you don't understand. Ignorance provides officials with frustration they an live without.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 05:50   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The only time I've ever been asked for papers in Portugal...
or anywhere in the Med for that matter.... is when I've gone into a Marina or passed through a 'controlled area' that requires a fee... like Corinth or the bridge connecting Evia to the mainland...
Shoot... book into a marina in the UK its the same... visit Cherbourg... the same... its all part of cruising life.
Just smile and make friends... next time maybe you'll be a nice guy...
Not just another 'A$$hole Foreigner'....