Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2009, 12:50   #1

Mallorca / Ibiza > Stockholm Aug '09

Never done this trip before.

We will start at Ibiza/Mallorca around the 10-20th of august. And then sail to stockholm. What to say about winds and weather for a trip in this direction.
We will sail a 65f (2 persons).... What harbour is MUST stay on this trip... we are not in a hurry....
Old 26-05-2009, 13:15   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
We will sail a 65f (2 persons).... What harbour is MUST stay on this trip... we are not in a hurry....
Hi freetime,

My favourite port on the UK south coast is the River Yealm, approx. 5 miles to the east of Plymouth. Not knowing the draft of your boat you will have to check the almanach and time it right to cross the bar at highwater. Superb scenery and good pubs!

Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
Hi freetime,

My favourite port on the UK south coast is the River Yealm, approx. 5 miles to the east of Plymouth. Not knowing the draft of your boat you will have to check the almanach and time it right to cross the bar at highwater. Superb scenery and good pubs!

Roger
Thanks...the draft is 2,5 meter...

Ill....remember this one.
Old 26-05-2009, 19:08   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Sailing north..not great, but will still be fun.

If you are going direct to the Spanish mainland, I think Calpe is a great town (with a great fish market")

Almerimar, Spain is nothing special, but if you need any work done, it's great.

Stop for a visit in Porto. Great town and fun trying the different ports - and buy a few bottles.

We love the Spanish Rias, so if you have the time I think you will enjoy them too.

When you get to northern France don't miss Morlaix.

If you have the time, a detour to Antwerp, Belgium is worth it. One of the world's greatest towns and you can dock downtown in a harbor that Napolean built.

Enjoy the trip!!

Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 20:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
Sailing north..not great, but will still be fun.

If you are going direct to the Spanish mainland, I think Calpe is a great town (with a great fish market")

Almerimar, Spain is nothing special, but if you need any work done, it's great.

Stop for a visit in Porto. Great town and fun trying the different ports - and buy a few bottles.

We love the Spanish Rias, so if you have the time I think you will enjoy them too.

When you get to northern France don't miss Morlaix.

If you have the time, a detour to Antwerp, Belgium is worth it. One of the world's greatest towns and you can dock downtown in a harbor that Napolean built.

Enjoy the trip!!

Jim
Thanks...

Good info...saved!!!

Sail North... I know, but we are NOT in a hurry, and we will sail a couple of nights but we will stay one two days at places to. Right now we don´t know where the boat will be in august...but the plans is around ibiza or mainland....???

I have a visit in La Rochelle on my list and then Falmouth...and around Southampton somewhere...And we will probably NOT go Kiel canal, around Denmark...
Old 27-05-2009, 10:56   #6

Quote:
I have a visit in La Rochelle on my list and then Falmouth...and around Southampton somewhere...And we will probably NOT go Kiel canal, around Denmark...
Hi freetime,

As you are planning on going to Falmouth with many marinas and mooring possibilities, plan an extra night and take your boat up the River Fal at the northern end of Falmouth Harbour / Bay and pick up a mooring at the Smuggler's Inn for lunch and afternoon teas, they are closed for dinner though. At this place a part of the 1944 allied invasion force to land in France was assembled.

And on the French coast the port of Dieppe is very quaint and worth seeing.

Roger
Old 27-05-2009, 11:07   #7

Quote:
Hi freetime,

As you are planning on going to Falmouth with many marinas and mooring possibilities, plan an extra night and take your boat up the River Fal at the northern end of Falmouth Harbour / Bay and pick up a mooring at the Smuggler's Inn for lunch and afternoon teas, they are closed for dinner though. At this place a part of the 1944 allied invasion force to land in France was assembled.

And on the French coast the port of Dieppe is very quaint and worth seeing.

Roger
woow...thanks....

Any problem with this boat??? it is 19,5 meters and the beam is 5,25 m, and draft 2,5 m...and 36 ton!!! So it does not turn so fast..

It is huge to "navigate" in the harbours..hihi
Old 27-05-2009, 11:21   #8

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
"and around Southampton somewhere"

Go to the Beaulieu (pronounced Bew-ley) river across from Cowes. You can go up to Buckler Hard where Nelson's flagship the Agamemnon was built.

Or dock at the marina in Lymington next door and explore the New Forest by car (the hunting forest of King John waaaaay back when).

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 11:28   #9

Quote:
woow...thanks....

Any problem with this boat??? it is 19,5 meters and the beam is 5,25 m, and draft 2,5 m...and 36 ton!!! So it does not turn so fast..

It is huge to "navigate" in the harbours..hihi
No problem at all, as the mooring area upriver of the Smuggler's Inn is also used by big ships. The channel both in Falmouth Harbour and up the River Fal is well marked. Not sure though if the Smuggler's Inn's own mooring can take that weight, you would have to check with the propriator who is a professional seaman himself, runs a tourist boat on the River Fal.

Roger
Old 27-05-2009, 11:39   #10

Quote:
No problem at all, as the mooring area upriver of the Smuggler's Inn is also used by big ships. The channel both in Falmouth Harbour and up the River Fal is well marked. Not sure though if the Smuggler's Inn's own mooring can take that weight, you would have to check with the propriator who is a professional seaman himself, runs a tourist boat on the River Fal.

Roger
I love this kind of EXTRA information, thanks Roger.... maybe at anchor....dingy in......

We will leave ibiza area after the 17th of august....(one...one meeting i cant move....damn..hihi)
Old 28-05-2009, 13:49   #11

Joakim,

If you make it to the Smuggler's Inn give Mr. and Mrs. xyz (sorry, forget their name but very nice people) best regards from the South African cat who was there last year.

And in La Rochelle, head for the charming Old Harbour in town, not for the marina which is 2km out of towm with about 5.000 moorings so totally impersonal.

Roger
Old 05-06-2009, 23:29   #12

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
You'll find a whole load of information useful for this trip (well, up to Dover, UK, anyway) on my web site. Google 'jimb' to find it.

Going north along the Potuguese coast can be a long, hard slog to windward. On the web site I outline several strategies for making that trip easier. The fact that you have plenty of time helps a lot!

If you really have plenty of time, then some diversions from the straight and narrow are worth thinking about. For instance, make your first landfall on the French Biscay coast at La Rochelle - a busy and picturesque town, the gem of that coast, but with a string of good stops to the north.

From the Raz de Sein onwards your whole trip planning will be dominated by the strong tidal streams and tidal ranges in the Channel, especially if you stick to the French coasts and the Channel Islands, but broadly, this is more picturesque and less crowded route than the expensive and busy English side of the Channel.

After that, the North Sea route (long and boring in my opinion) is best followed along the Dutch coast, but your depth will limit the harbours you can use. So, with time, consider the radical option. Don't go up the Channel - stay west . . .

Yes, visit Falmouth and Helford; nice spots. Then the Scilly Isles. From there to S Ireland (Cobh is a lively spot) and travel around the S and W of Ireland - one of the most sociable cruising grounds in Europe, picturesque, green and wet, but great fun, and easy cruising in a big boat. Keep giong around, then jump off to the west coast of Scotland from Rathlin Island.

West Scotland is one of the great uncrowded cruising grounds of Europe, with stunning scenery and some good whisky distilleries to visit. The rather bare Outer Hebrides islands shelter the coast from big swells.

Smaller boats can the make their way through the Caledonian Canal to E Scotland - I suspect you may not be able to do that. So it's round Cape Wrath (apt name, that), through the tidal races off N Scotland (choose your timing and weather very carefully - or visit the Shetlands to count the few trees surviving there) - and off you go to Sweden. Gota canal? or round the south?

Ideally, allow two seasons, wintering in SW Ireland. Miss a few stops, and it can be done in one season. Far more fun than the boring N Sea.

JimB
www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:36   #13

thanks...i have sent your link and this answer to the owner of the boat to....i will take a closer look tonight.
We are not in a hurry, but it is a transportation of the boat...so no wintering....
And NOOOOO göta kanal with that boat....i have done it with a bandholm 33...big enough

thanks again

//joakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
You'll find a whole load of information useful for this trip (well, up to Dover, UK, anyway) on my web site. Google 'jimb' to find it.

Going north along the Potuguese coast can be a long, hard slog to windward. On the web site I outline several strategies for making that trip easier. The fact that you have plenty of time helps a lot!

If you really have plenty of time, then some diversions from the straight and narrow are worth thinking about. For instance, make your first landfall on the French Biscay coast at La Rochelle - a busy and picturesque town, the gem of that coast, but with a string of good stops to the north.

From the Raz de Sein onwards your whole trip planning will be dominated by the strong tidal streams and tidal ranges in the Channel, especially if you stick to the French coasts and the Channel Islands, but broadly, this is more picturesque and less crowded route than the expensive and busy English side of the Channel.

After that, the North Sea route (long and boring in my opinion) is best followed along the Dutch coast, but your depth will limit the harbours you can use. So, with time, consider the radical option. Don't go up the Channel - stay west . . .

Yes, visit Falmouth and Helford; nice spots. Then the Scilly Isles. From there to S Ireland (Cobh is a lively spot) and travel around the S and W of Ireland - one of the most sociable cruising grounds in Europe, picturesque, green and wet, but great fun, and easy cruising in a big boat. Keep giong around, then jump off to the west coast of Scotland from Rathlin Island.

West Scotland is one of the great uncrowded cruising grounds of Europe, with stunning scenery and some good whisky distilleries to visit. The rather bare Outer Hebrides islands shelter the coast from big swells.

Smaller boats can the make their way through the Caledonian Canal to E Scotland - I suspect you may not be able to do that. So it's round Cape Wrath (apt name, that), through the tidal races off N Scotland (choose your timing and weather very carefully - or visit the Shetlands to count the few trees surviving there) - and off you go to Sweden. Gota canal? or round the south?

Ideally, allow two seasons, wintering in SW Ireland. Miss a few stops, and it can be done in one season. Far more fun than the boring N Sea.

JimB
www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com
Old 28-06-2009, 06:33   #14

Anyone know the distance from mallorca to stockholm?
Old 29-06-2009, 07:30   #15

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
You do it easy on Google earth, and it is minimum 2700nm.
god tur.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote