Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2008, 23:56   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
Sail to Stockholm

Hello,

Next summer (August 2009) I'm going to sail from Gdynia, Poland to 3 Baltic capitals (Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallin). I would like to ask someone for avice what is the best way to sail to Stockholm.

It has to be explained.

During my preparation I found that there are 3 Swedish yachting charts of this area (Stockholm Archipelago) called Stockholm middle, Stockholm south and Stockholm nord. This means very probably there are at least main 3 ways to reach Stockholm. My question is, which chart of above 3 should I buy if I'd like to reach Stockholm in the easiest and safest way (I like to sail there in a deep water and with as low as possible stones on my way).

Could someone advice me as well the name of any harbour/marina there which in nice, close to the center of the City and generally with no problem of free places for staying there.

Thanks in advance,
cyryl
cyryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 02:01   #2

Boat: Currently Stranded
Although i couldn't tell you the best place to dock, that would depend on when and how. Sweden is very boat "dense" and in the summer months, there may be few available slots.

There are plenty of varieties of charts for Swedish waters, for leisure boaters. "Batsportkort" is the most common variety. And the Stockholm archipelago is normally divided into north / middle / south in that "brand" of charts.

There are indeed three major routes, however, the southern route is not something i'd advise you to take because of the navigational risks.

My suggestion, would be to take the same route that the Stockholm / Riga ferries take, fairly wide channels most of the way and deep enough to handle large shipping.
For the "Batsportkort" choice, the "middle" chart will cover that approach.

That route will take you in just south of "Sandhamn" a popular stop for boaters and also the beginning and end of the "gotland runt" sailing regatta.

The last option is to use the north entry route, which is the one used by boats to and from Helsinki, this route requires the "north" chart. As well as the "middle" chart.

YOu can see the Stockholm - Riga path here on google maps, and use that one to determine what charts you would need.

Google Maps

The north chart covers north of "Moja" and the middle chart covers as far south as "Dalaro"

Hope that helps.
csiunatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 13:03   #3

"... The last option is to use the north entry route, which is the one used by boats to and from Helsinki, this route requires the "north" chart. As well as the "middle" chart ..."

I have one more question just about this north entry route.

From Stockholm I'm planning to sail to Aland Islands (AI). Looking at the chart this north route seams to be - or at least looks like - the best way to sail from STHM to AI but:
1) is this route as safety and easy as the "middle" one (as you wrote, the route that the Stockholm / Riga ferries take) ?
2) isn't this route much longer in case of sailling through "stones" in comparison to the "middle" one ?

What whould you suggest me e.g. which route to sail from STHM to AI in case if I'll be not in a hurry and if I'll like to sail from STHM in as much easy, simple and safety way as possible ?

Thanking in advance.
Cyryl
Old 21-11-2008, 13:27   #4

The north route is just as safe, it's a marked channel the whole way out of the Swedish archipelago, so you'll have a hard time getting into trouble.

These routes are navigated by some of the larger cruiseships in the world. So a sailboat should be safe as long as you can follow the markers.

I do however suggest you stick to the channel, both the Stockholm and Aland Archipelagos are heavy in navigational hazards.

For instance, if you follow the north route, you'll see a large island east of it called Blido, The waters southeast of that island look nice and open, but its a slalom course littred with rocks all the way. I spent my summers growing up on the south end of Blido, and i couldn't tell you how many people sank their boats there.

But the middle Stockholm-Riga and the North Stockholm-Aland routes are clearly marked, mostly wide, and safe navigation.

Like my dad told me a long time ago about the northern route, "If you can't follow that route, Get rid of the boat - you're a danger to others.
Old 21-11-2008, 22:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiunatc View Post
Like my dad told me a long time ago about the northern route, "If you can't follow that route, Get rid of the boat - you're a danger to others.
Looking at your Dad opinion about northern route I believe I can reach Stockholm next year even though last year I had "a meeting" with a small rock/stone near one of the harbour in Gotland . Fortunatelly nothing happend .

Once again, thanks a lot for your advice.
Old 16-01-2009, 13:10   #6

Boat: jeanneau trinidad 52
Seems like people are scared of Swedish waters! why?
I suggest you go from polan by Gotland and enter Stockholm by Danzigergatt/Nynäshamn , baggensfjärden, skurusundet to Stockholm and then either go north and to Åland from Kapellskär or north/east to sandhamn and then to Åland
stephan birke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 13:26   #7

I think that an increased level of awareness is definately warranted in the Stockholm archipelago compared to many other areas. There aren't many "banks" or large obstacles, instead it is littered like a minefield with rocks that can do some serious damage.

Like you said, any of the three main routes are ok, but in difference to more 'forgiving' waters, Stockholm rarely gives much pardon to a navigational mistake if you make any attempts to navigate outside the marked channels.
Old 16-01-2009, 13:45   #8

Boat: jeanneau trinidad 52
to make navigation more easy I suggest you use the four numbered (6161,6145 etc.)charts instead of båtsportkort. Scale, Cutting and overview is much better, if you don`t know the waters don´t try it with just a plotter, have a chart for planning and overview. The best of Stockholm is outside the channels for big ships. So go well planned, good charts and not faster then you can keep up and there will not be any problem !
stephan birke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 23:28   #9

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Regarding the Archipelago of Aland; it's littered with rocks and small islands but very beautiful. The big problem is the charts. Last time I sailed there... 2003 I think, the charts (finnish) really sucked, lots of blank areas without depth. They were, however, about to release new ones. I never saw the new charts, but make sure you get the latest ones.

Take your time to see Aland. It's a beautiful place and lots to look at. The water has a special green-grey color that I havn't seen anywhere else in the Baltic.

/Hampus
Old 13-02-2009, 05:21   #10

On your way to stockholm you can always go to sodertalje(sodertalje slussen) and the in to the lake malaren, and take this way to stockholm. This way is very easy, only one lift in and one lift out in centre of stockholm(hammarby slussen). After that just follow the big ships north....easy. And you will not have any problem to find good places to stay at anchor. 30000 islands!!!
Old 25-02-2009, 10:42   #11

where to stay on my way from Gotland to Stockholm

Actually I'm considering to sail directly from Visby to Stockholm or to stay somewhere on my the route but it must be easy to sail as well as deep enough place form 2m deep yacht. I prefer to stay in marina. I'm not going to stay on anchor as I don't have anchor wind.

Could you please someone advice me any of such a place on this way (Nynashamn?), if any ?

Old 25-02-2009, 11:04   #12

visby-stockholm

You can stay at nynashamn...

Go to sandhamn, it is not so cheap...but you can stay with anchore just around the corner and take the dingy in... I don´t remember the name of the island. But 300-400meters away.

But you have a bavara 37, and should not need to stay in marinas in this archipelago, that is the best with the archipelago...you can allways find your own place, or atleast close to own, and if you stay in or around sandhamn you have around 20-25nm to waxholm, a very beautiful place...you can check the marinas at the Marinas.com - Marinas, U.S., World, Navigate The Waterways, Make Reservations, World's Cruise Guide

But remember, it is easier than you think to navigate in the archipelago...

Seglarhotellet i Sandhamn - en skärgÃ¥rdsklassiker Ã¥ret om or :: Välkommen till sandhamn.se :: i don´t wish one it was...

Marinas.com - Marinas, U.S., World, Navigate The Waterways, Make Reservations, World's Cruise Guide
Old 25-02-2009, 15:35   #13

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
But remember, it is easier than you think to navigate in the archipelago...
Yes, it looks really cluttered and scary on the chart, but once you're there the islands kind of fall into place and you're surprised at how much room you really have. Don't worry!

/Hampus
Old 25-02-2009, 18:19   #14

Boat: Albin Vega 27 - Mariage
Nynashamn, will certain be the best, i live there.
It´s 70 M from Visby.
Hope i see ya.
Mariage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 19:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
Yes, it looks really cluttered and scary on the chart, but once you're there the islands kind of fall into place and you're surprised at how much room you really have. Don't worry!

/Hampus
And you are not alone...

This pic is from Waxholm the 17th of februari this year.

From left you have a Bavaria 40 Ocean, Hanse 531 and my friends lovely Bruce Roberts 65... and in "package" a Hanse 461

The Bavaria from left was arrived to Waxholm around Christmas, he was sailing from Gotheborg just after christmas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4141.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7223