Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 07:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MkII
Looking for a Long-Term Liveaboard Marina in London

Can anyone give us some advice on selecting a marina in the south of England for 2012-13?
We are currently in the USA, heading over in May ’12. We will go to Ireland first then wander over after both the Olympics are finished.

We want to park ourselves somewhere with good access to the rail system as we want to spend about a year investigating England, Wales, Scotland, using our boat as a base. Of course, wandering about London is a big drawcard for us, but we could as well be on the far outskirts and catch a train in with all the commuters. I’ve had a look at St Katharine’s Docks but they’re getting up a bit in cost when you add in their electricity charges over a long period of time.

Our mast is 62’6’’ and our keel draws 5’2” on a good day. We are 42’ plus davits (?).

Proximity to a supermarket would be nice, but we do have folding Montagues to get from boat to shops. (This is probably not a great option in an English winter J)

Tips/hints appreciated and welcomed.
Hoges in WA
hogesinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 07:59   #2

Re: Looking for a long-term liveaboard marina in London

Hi,
Brighton on the south east coast has good rail/road links to London i.e. 50min by fast train into central London. Also 40min by road to Gatwick international airport.
Brighton marina is operated by Premier Marina's who also run the big marina's in Southampton. They are rather expensive marina's but facilities are good and annual berthing contracts get decent discounts. The marina village has a superstore, shops, restaurants, cinema, health club, yacht club etc. So no need to actually cycle anywhere too far.
An alternative 20min from Brighton is Newhaven Marina, minimal facilities but cheaper, and still has easy access to Brighton and links to London. Newhaven is a port for the ferry which goes over to Dieppe in France.
Brighton is a great placeto be, plenty going on and lots to see and do, be there...rain, cloud,sleet, snow, gales and now and again a bit of sunshine!!!

Hope this helps,
Regards
kingstonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:44   #3

Re: Looking for a Long-Term Liveaboard Marina in London

Nice. Bookmarked. Thanks
Old 25-09-2011, 09:51   #4

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Hi - it might also be worth serching on the YBW liveaboard forum where this topic is discussed a bit. Note that most marinas allow you to be abaord a lot (liveaboard) so long as it's not your home address, but St Katherine's is particularly fussy about this.

You're right that London is expensive and you could commute into London from elsewhere. I think, therefore, it depends on your budget and your tastes. You say you want to travel around the UK a bit as well so a marina close to a railway station might be particularly useful. I'd recommend Brighton as a great place to live, but the marina is a long way from town. (I know - I lived there for 4 years, one afloat). Alternatively Southampton, but v expensive, or Portsmouth, ditto. Much further west on that coast and you are struggling with connectivity. Cardiff, in South Wales is also a great place to live with good rail connections, and a nice marina in Penarth. Swansea is also a good marina but another hour further from London. You could also look at Bristol or Liverpool but I don't know either of them.

I'm leaving out Scotland, not because it isn't fab (cos it is) but it's a long way to sail north unless you really fancy it. On the east coast, there's Hull which would be very cheap but isn't a great place to stop. You moght look at Lowestoft as cheap but it's a small town. I always recommend Ipswich (which is where I'm typing this) for convenience and a good liveaboard community (we lived aboard here for 2 years), or you could look at Ramsgate or Dover (both v small towns).

My preferences would be Brighton or Ipswich or Cardiff, depending on where you're coming from or going to, what prices you can raise from them and where you want to explore. PM me if you'd like to know more and I'll try to help.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 19:40   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Can I ask how you intend to get a visa for 12 months.? you will also technically become a tax resident after 180 days

Dave
Old 25-09-2011, 19:52   #6

1. Go away then come back
2. We don't earn an income.
Old 26-09-2011, 03:35   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Hi Hoges,
We're from Perth and now live in Lymington, UK.
Rediculously expensive in most Solent / S. Coast marinas but if you've your own generator there are public / town berths at a much more moderate cost. If you do want me to ask locally give me more exact dates and boat length and I'll get some quotes.
If Londons a big drawcard I'd also suggest you check out Chatham / Rochester on the Medway. I don't know any specific spot but it's half the distance (and the cost by train) closer to London that where we are and probably cheaper berthing also.
As you may already know, compared to WA the UK's real small and easy to cover by car. So if you decide to buy / resell a car I'd not discount almost anywhere around the edge. Just make sure you're close to a motorway or you'll waste a surprising amount of time on country roads.
Anything I can do to help - let me know.
JOHN
Old 26-09-2011, 04:11   #8

Boat: Westerly Chieftain 8m
Try ramsgate Marina or even sandwich Marina or town quay it's possibly the cheapist that your get your boat into.
Westerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:26   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogesinwa
1. Go away then come back
2. We don't earn an income.
Yes but you need to go away for 6 months out of 12.

My understanding talking to some US friends is that Ireland and the UK are now only giving 90 days visas to US tourists even though the legislation allows 180 days. But I could be wrong.

Income irelevant. You become a tax resident and are required to register irrespective of income.

Anyone know if the poll tax applies to liveaboards.

You also need to make sure your medical coverage allows you such time abroad.

Dave
Old 26-09-2011, 14:43   #10

Boat: Boatless

Staying in a London marina or a south coast marina is like staying in a London hotel...expensive.

We are crossing the Atlantic next year and plan to winter in:

Hartlepool Marina

Cheap but a long way to the high life of London.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 15:26   #11

The short visas would be so that they can then rip GBP 550 per person off people to extend their visas. This is an almost unbelievable number, but according to UK Immigration it is supposed to reflect the "value of the product". I want to visit, not pay off the national debt. At those numbers, we'll be in France before you can whistle La Marseillaise.

Registering for tax is irrelevant if there's nothing to tax - it's just another mindless procedure invented by a Jobsworthy to keep paper flowing. We fill in form after form for officials that seem to be ignored by the next lot of officials further down the coast. They want the forms that the first lot of officials said weren't important. We just fill them in and sign them.
Old 26-09-2011, 15:51   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but you need to go away for 6 months out of 12.

My understanding talking to some US friends is that Ireland and the UK are now only giving 90 days visas to US tourists even though the legislation allows 180 days. But I could be wrong.

Income irelevant. You become a tax resident and are required to register irrespective of income.

Anyone know if the poll tax applies to liveaboards.

You also need to make sure your medical coverage allows you such time abroad.

Dave
That's an interesting question. I was a tourist in Scotland 11 years ago and managed to give myself a concussion. There was no place at the emergency center to either pay them or give them my insurance information. I'm not sure at what point it's necessary. I had a similar experience in Canada.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 13:34   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogesinwa View Post
The short visas would be so that they can then rip GBP 550 per person off people to extend their visas. This is an almost unbelievable number, but according to UK Immigration it is supposed to reflect the "value of the product". I want to visit, not pay off the national debt. At those numbers, we'll be in France before you can whistle La Marseillaise.

Registering for tax is irrelevant if there's nothing to tax - it's just another mindless procedure invented by a Jobsworthy to keep paper flowing. We fill in form after form for officials that seem to be ignored by the next lot of officials further down the coast. They want the forms that the first lot of officials said weren't important. We just fill them in and sign them.
No wish to bang on about this,

Tourist visas are issued in the Uk for a maximum of 6 months in 12. There is no extension that qualifies under normal tourist conditions. The UK550 fee ( 850 if in person) only applies to non visitor visa, such as work, study and other categories. If you qualify under those visas then of course thats fine

As to tax, its not quite true, if you become a uk tax resident, then you are taxed on any earnings you bring into the UK. Since you are obviously living on a boat and paying for things, this "income" is actually due for taxation. You "may" be able to claim exemptions under suitable double taxation laws with the US, but of course you have to be inside the UK tax net to do that.

Sure all this can be overlooked, but visa overstays and tax negligence is not something I'm reccomend.

You could spend 6 months in Ireland, and 6 months in the UK.

Just things to be aware of, The UK is a very officious country with lots of inspectors.
Dave
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30   #14

Boat: None

Hi I lived in Limehouse Basin marina for 1 year in 1996 and for a couple of years ending 2002 on first a catalac 9m, then a bavaria 37, whilst working in the City. Closest and nicest is St Kat's but they don't like liveaboards, unless your boat looks upmarket. Limehouse basin is the second closest, I stayed there, friendly, bit many narrowboats, good clubhouse and library, headquarters of the cruising association (google it, Northey Street E14 8BT), price not too bad, cheaper than South Coast marinas. In London also Greenland dock, less expensive, less upmarket, good for a winter stay and very close to London Bridge Station which connects anything in London. Finally furthest out is Gallions' just at E end of London City airport (there is now finally public transport there but it's barren and remote ... prevailing wind is W so beware you will have noise). If you are from US and never have been in UK/Europe and you want to spend the winter - go and do Limehouse/Greenland dock. There is a real winter/permanent community, with fun races in middle of winter such as Frostbite and Salmon Leap which combine sailing and a quest challenge while underway. Also then you have access to airports nearby with cheap cheap flights all over europe - 1 hr flying and about 50-90 euros gets you everywhere if you get bored. Only downside if you want to sail - apart from a jolly on the thames, is that it will take you 1 tide or 7 hours to get to Queenborough/Chatham which is first stop with open sea. I am very familiar with Chatham marina and the river Medway too - have sailed there many years it is ok, I also know the overpriced South Coast of UK (it'll take a few hours to get to london .... not exactly like living in Limehouse and going to see a west end show in the evening, or catching a central fast train to anywhere).

Have a great stay. Must sees: 1) chatham historic dockyard (if you bring your boat up to London, take a few days in Chatham Marina and walk there, also see Upnor castle, or if in London it's 45 min train ride there 2) west end theatres museums art galleries, many are free.
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:31   #15

Boat: None

Sorry realized after many years used the abbreviation: St Kat's = St Katharines Marina, directly adjacent to Tower Bridge, very grand.
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard