Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 00:07   #1

Help with Bareboat Documentation

Hey all,

I'm thinking of doing a bareboat charter next summer in Greece or Italy. Looking further into the companies, it seems that you need some sort of recreational sailing license in order to charter a boat. I most likely won't have the space in my timeline to obtain one of these licenses, but I have a OICNW Unlimited Tonnage, Oceans license as well as a 100 Master, Oceans. Does any on know if these credentials can be used in place of the recreational licenses. I was looking into what is the curriculum to get a ASA license from the 103 and 104 class, and I'm fairly certain I have met all the criteria with my USCG MMC. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Sam
Jester013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 01:53   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Your commercial licences in the main will not be recognised as sufficient. Some form of sailing certification is really necessary. But talk to the charter company, they decide.

It may be a combination of your license and a sailing resume is enough

Dave
Old 23-11-2013, 04:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Help with Bareboat Documentation

This question is made sevaral times.. As far as Turkey goes, for the boat you want to charter you will need exactly the same certification to use the same boat in yr country of origin; simple..
Most people tends to believe that these rules are depending on charter companies.. Not true, these are imposed by the insurance companies. Unless the charter company takes the risks, he has to comply with what the insurance company is asking.
Lastly, some countries (like France) has no certification to use small crafts inshore. Then, a simple proof of competence (past experience, etc) is sufficient.

I don't know other companies, but in our charter contract it says that if the competence of the skipper is deemed inadequate to handle the boat, we may deny to give the boat and request the hire of another skipper".
This has almost never happened but it's safer for us to ensure that the boat and crew is in good hands.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, documentation, men