Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 00:07   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Help with Bareboat Documentation

Hey all,

I'm thinking of doing a bareboat charter next summer in Greece or Italy. Looking further into the companies, it seems that you need some sort of recreational sailing license in order to charter a boat. I most likely won't have the space in my timeline to obtain one of these licenses, but I have a OICNW Unlimited Tonnage, Oceans license as well as a 100 Master, Oceans. Does any on know if these credentials can be used in place of the recreational licenses. I was looking into what is the curriculum to get a ASA license from the 103 and 104 class, and I'm fairly certain I have met all the criteria with my USCG MMC. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jester013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 01:53   #2
Nearly an old salt
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Your commercial licences in the main will not be recognised as sufficient. Some form of sailing certification is really necessary. But talk to the charter company, they decide.

It may be a combination of your license and a sailing resume is enough

Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! -
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 04:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Marmaris
Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013
Posts: 1,081
Re: Help with Bareboat Documentation

This question is made sevaral times.. As far as Turkey goes, for the boat you want to charter you will need exactly the same certification to use the same boat in yr country of origin; simple..
Most people tends to believe that these rules are depending on charter companies.. Not true, these are imposed by the insurance companies. Unless the charter company takes the risks, he has to comply with what the insurance company is asking.
Lastly, some countries (like France) has no certification to use small crafts inshore. Then, a simple proof of competence (past experience, etc) is sufficient.

I don't know other companies, but in our charter contract it says that if the competence of the skipper is deemed inadequate to handle the boat, we may deny to give the boat and request the hire of another skipper".
This has almost never happened but it's safer for us to ensure that the boat and crew is in good hands.


yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

bareboat, documentation, men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Real Deal Regarding Mexican Visas... zeehag Cruising News & Events 50 05-11-2013 05:11
Bareboat to Full Load: What Does it All Weigh ? rgesner Multihull Sailboats 17 28-11-2011 19:35
Choosing a Bareboat Instructor / School stlmurph Multihull Sailboats 2 02-10-2011 18:26
Southern US Bareboat Companies malyea Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 30-08-2011 04:50
Buying a Boat with Expired Documentation Sailorman375 Dollars & Cents 9 01-08-2011 08:57

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.