Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 06:34   #1

Overwintering in France, Spain, Portugal

My partner and I live on a 42ft Moody and are planning on going over to Brittany in April/May and then heading down the South West coast. We would like to overwinter somewhere in France or possibly Spain or Portugal. Can you suggest cheap and friendly places to stay? Louise
Mippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

What are you looking for... 4-5* marina's or anchorages, away from the maddening crowd or in the thick of it.... close to transport hubs (air/road).....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
welcome to the forum,choices are numerous along the north biscay coast in france,lots of rivers and estuaries to go up,though watch the weather when making coastal hops.
around baiona in the rias in nw spain lots of hidey holes,and good anchorages.
be careful on barred entrances to w coast portugese ports.seisembre,tie up to fising boats,algarve marinas,exorbitant,but alvor,gaurdiana portimao area lot of nice spots.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37   #4

overwintering in France,Spain, Portugal.

Thanks Atoll for those suggestions.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

local knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Pim View Post
Thanks Atoll for those suggestions.
sugests pm ing boatman61,as phil has spent alot more time in the area than me,and is currently in portugal,so knows all the low down.

plus hes a mine of useful info on life ,the universe,and everything.

cheers atoll
Old 11-02-2011, 07:46   #6

overwintering in France, Spain, Portugal.

We'dlike to be near transport links. Not 4/5* marinas. Don't mind it busy for a while. Not too cut off! Anchorages are always useful to know of.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

quite a few of our falmouth friends spend the winter on anchor up the gaurdiana river,fairly quite but bus not too far away,and faro good for uk flights,best of all its free!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:51   #8

Sounds great! Thanks. We were in and around Falmouth last summer. We moored up the River Truro.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39   #9

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
I was told that Figueira da Foz on Portugal's West coast has really excellent prices for a long-term stay over winter. Marina is very secure, town has all amenities and transport faciliteis.

Alvor's lagoon, just 2M east of Lagos on the western Algarve, has a very nice anchorage, no or minimal fees are being charged, my favourite place on this strech of coast!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:26   #10

overwintering in France, Spain, Portugal.

Thanks for that Roger.

Do you have any tips on cruising in Brittany and South West coast of France during the summer? I will post another thread on this subject.

Louise
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48   #11

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
cruising in Brittany and South West coast of France

Louise,
A thread is presently running on this subject:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ndy-54733.html

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:51   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Fig da Foz is an excellent place to winter.. the marina's just been extended with the east side have new pontoons/services for visitors.. good rail to Porto/Coimbra/Lisbon... friendly staff and town. Cascais has a good anchorage but open to S'lies but there's also an excellent marina to duck into... Alvor is good but getting somewhat limited for space, Portimao has a good anchorage on the E side of the river with excellent yard/marina to hand if weather gets real bad..
Faro/Olhau lagoon is really nice... you can hang a left to Faro and anchor along there, or hang a right and drop the hook by Isla Culatra.. my favourite spot. Not sure how things stand at the moment there though as the sand bank villiages suffered bad storms last autumn/winter and there was alot of damage and bars being washed away/moved.... Olhau is a 10 min dinghy ride and theres great fresh food market right on the quay...
alternatively you can anchor right of the quay (room for about 4-6 boats) just get buzzed by the small fishing boats from time to time as they head in.
The Guadiana is many peoples favourite as its got Spain on the opposite bank where the cost of many things is cheaper... just east from there is Isla Christina and El Rompido...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-02-2011, 04:42   #13

Re: Overwintering in France, Spain, Portugal

Has anyone been to Marans? It's been suggested to us as a good place to overwinter. It looks inviting. I've tried to contact them by phone without success and they don't have an email address.I guess I'll have to write! Any info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Louise and Jon
Old 21-02-2011, 05:11   #14

Re: Overwintering in France, Spain, Portugal

As we are leaving withing few months towards South-Spain, we are also trying to figure out our wintering place.

We haven't really decided anything and the suggestions in this thread are very good.

One place that I've been thinking is Spanish Ceuta in North-Africa. Anybody have experience from there? Although now that the situation in Morocco seems to start to be tense, it might not be the wisest place to be.

Also, Sevilla might be nice? Big city and lot of things to do?
Kimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 05:17   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Overwintering in France, Spain, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
As we are leaving withing few months towards South-Spain, we are also trying to figure out our wintering place.

We haven't really decided anything and the suggestions in this thread are very good.

One place that I've been thinking is Spanish Ceuta in North-Africa. Anybody have experience from there? Although now that the situation in Morocco seems to start to be tense, it might not be the wisest place to be.

Also, Sevilla might be nice? Big city and lot of things to do?
I don't think you'll have any worries in Ceuta... Seville is nice but a long hike up river and from what I've heard needs pre booking and can be expensive.
The Guadiana's a good place giving you both Spain and Portugal on either side and good links by road rail etc.... also if your in the Med... I can strongly recommend Cartagena as a winter spot.... big city and really nice...

Tags
France, Portugal, Spain, france, spain, portugal