Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 03:50   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Helgoland -- Port of Entry?

I have conflicting information on this. Reed's Nautical Almanac says that "Helgoland is not a port of entry into Germany." Other sources (like CruiserWiki) say that Helgoland is a port of entry. Maybe Helgoland is a port of entry, just not into Germany, because of Helgoland's special status?

I'm thinking about this year's new Baltic Odyssey (and looking forward to it extremely much!!), and wondering whether I can sail nonstop from Southampton to Helgoland, or whether I have to clear in to Schengen (since I'll have non-EU citizens on board) first.

The duty-free booze I boarded in Helgoland on the way back here in August is starting to run out! Since I've been mostly living aboard since, and with lots of guests.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 04:14   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Helgoland -- Port of Entry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have conflicting information on this. Reed's Nautical Almanac says that "Helgoland is not a port of entry into Germany." Other sources (like CruiserWiki) say that Helgoland is a port of entry. Maybe Helgoland is a port of entry, just not into Germany, because of Helgoland's special status?

I'm thinking about this year's new Baltic Odyssey (and looking forward to it extremely much!!), and wondering whether I can sail nonstop from Southampton to Helgoland, or whether I have to clear in to Schengen (since I'll have non-EU citizens on board) first.

The duty-free booze I boarded in Helgoland on the way back here in August is starting to run out! Since I've been mostly living aboard since, and with lots of guests.

Dockhead - from wikipedia

Heligoland[edit]
Heligoland is an island of Germany situated 70 km (43 mi) off the German north-western coast. It is part of the EU, but is excluded from the customs union and the VAT area

Noonsite also says you can't clear in on Helgoland

It is only necessary to complete immigration procedures when arriving in or departing from Germany from outside the EU. This has to be done at a community port where there is a Bundespolizri Office. In small ports there may not be an office (call the Head Office in Hamburg on +49 40 66995050 to check if in doubt).

Passports and 2 crew lists must be produced. 1 crew list will be stamped and has to be shown when signing out of Germany at your last port.

On arrival, the Q flag must be flown, unless arriving from an EU or Scandinavian country. Yachts arriving from a non-EU country must report to Customs (Zoll) at one of the ports of entry.

Helgoland is not a port of entry and clearance formalities cannot be completed there.

No formalities are required for yachts departing for or arriving from Poland.

Duty-free stores must be declared to Customs. Immigration must be cleared on arrival and departure.

Laboe, at the entrance of the Kiel fjord, is the Customs clearance point for yachts entering or leaving Germany via Kiel.

Kiel Canal: If passing through the Kiel Canal, but not visiting Germany, the 3rd substitute pennant must be flown.

Last updated December 2013.

Looks like you must clear in at Laboe.

Hmmmm - I'm surprised your gin stocks have lasted this long - you must have some very temperate friends.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 04:16   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

According to the quote for Noonsite - you only have to clear in if you are arriving from outside the EU - last I heard, the UK was part of the EU, so even with you non-EU citizenship, you have already entered the EU and therefore do not need to do so again.

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 24-01-2015, 04:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hmmmm - I'm surprised your gin stocks have lasted this long - you must have some very temperate friends.
Indeed, especially considering that they were already partially depleted when I arrived in Southampton!

I guess I've had a lot of wine drinkers on board this fall and winter.
Old 24-01-2015, 04:26   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Indeed, especially considering that they were already partially depleted when I arrived in Southampton!

I guess I've had a lot of wine drinkers on board this fall and winter.
I was just down across the border in Germany and restocked our wine cellar (20 cases of reds and 8 cases of whites). So now we are ready for the sailing season on the wine front.

Still need gin, tonic and case or two of champagne.

Old 24-01-2015, 08:17   #6

Boat: Saare 41cc

Technically you need to enter the Schengen zone whether you have a non EU citizen or just UK citizens on board. In practice no one will take much interest but you should get a (pink from memory) copy of the multipart form you fill in. Once you have that you can then wave it in front of anyone who questions your entry into the Schengen zone. We never were but I have heard of some zealous officials querying it.

So it looks like you don't need to worry about Helgoland but try and go through the motions when you go through Kiel as others have said.
Derek Lumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:00   #7

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Hi
I suppose you are US citizen or of an other nationality and are resident in the UK. UK is part of the Schengen contract and so, if you are departing sailing from the UK, you may enter an other Schengen country e.g. Germany without clearing in. Condition is that you have passport or other Id accepted to cross border and you have no commercial goods (that means goods for sale) aboard your vessel. I know from UK sailors sailing to France to fill up with wine and Scandinavian sailors sailing to Germany to buy spirits and beer, because as long a the amount of bottles looks reasonable for stocking for home consumption it is legal. If you are in need of more, perhaps for a wedding feast that may work if you can proof it if customs ask.
Fair winds
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:03   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
Hi
I suppose you are US citizen or of an other nationality and are resident in the UK. UK is part of the Schengen contract and so, if you are departing sailing from the UK, you may enter an other Schengen country e.g. Germany without clearing in. Condition is that you have passport or other Id accepted to cross border and you have no commercial goods (that means goods for sale) aboard your vessel. I know from UK sailors sailing to France to fill up with wine and Scandinavian sailors sailing to Germany to buy spirits and beer, because as long a the amount of bottles looks reasonable for stocking for home consumption it is legal. If you are in need of more, perhaps for a wedding feast that may work if you can proof it if customs ask.
Fair winds
James
UK is not, indeed, in Schengen.
Old 24-01-2015, 13:31   #9

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Hi
you are right, UK is not a Schengen agreement member. Anyhow, UK is member of the EU (but not the Isle of Man, Guernsey, Herm, Sark, Jersey and Gibraltar). But if arriving from UK direct and not of one of the mentioned islands or direct from an other EU port (e.g. France or Belgium) you have not to clear in.
Otherwise Helgoland is a port of Entry but is outside the German Customs borders, to say so. That means there is no VAT. But if buying there for electronics, cameras, binoculars you have to look how much you are allowed for importing free of VAT.
There many "Butterfahrten" (Butterjourneys) from Cuxhaven or other ports on the mainland coming to Helgoland for a day as on Helgoland is no VAT and Butter may be cheaper.
The saying is that motto of the Helgolanders is: "Ausbooten-Ausbeuten-Einbooten" roughly: pick them up on the tenders - exploit them- send them back with the tenders. The so called Butterships anchor in front of Helgoland harbour.
It is nice to stay on Helgoland, it has safe harbour for a yacht, the air is clean, the Island interesting in history and nature, there is a heated indoor swimmingpool open to the public.
Fair winds
James
Old 24-01-2015, 13:58   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
Hi
you are right, UK is not a Schengen agreement member. Anyhow, UK is member of the EU (but not the Isle of Man, Guernsey, Herm, Sark, Jersey and Gibraltar). But if arriving from UK direct and not of one of the mentioned islands or direct from an other EU port (e.g. France or Belgium) you have not to clear in.
Otherwise Helgoland is a port of Entry but is outside the German Customs borders, to say so. That means there is no VAT. But if buying there for electronics, cameras, binoculars you have to look how much you are allowed for importing free of VAT.
There many "Butterfahrten" (Butterjourneys) from Cuxhaven or other ports on the mainland coming to Helgoland for a day as on Helgoland is no VAT and Butter may be cheaper.
The saying is that motto of the Helgolanders is: "Ausbooten-Ausbeuten-Einbooten" roughly: pick them up on the tenders - exploit them- send them back with the tenders. The so called Butterships anchor in front of Helgoland harbour.
It is nice to stay on Helgoland, it has safe harbour for a yacht, the air is clean, the Island interesting in history and nature, there is a heated indoor swimmingpool open to the public.
Fair winds
James
If selling me liter bottles of export-strength Beefeaters for 9.50 euros is "ausbeuten", then the can beuten me aus as much as they like.

And diesel for 60% off.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 24-01-2015, 15:20   #11

Yea Dockhead liquors are relatively cheap. And do not forget to buy some German beer as you can buy it on Helgoland in cans without paying a deposit of 50 C per can and to have the receipt ready when trying to return a can in a shop.
The German beer will be drunk cold it may be a change to the lukeworm English Ales and Bitters (see Asterix with the Brits). If you like more bitter taste I may recommend the Yever Bitter Pilsener with about 4,5% per Volume, if you prefer a more sweeter taste an Export like the Holsten (5,1%) is fine. You will also find Becks. The choice in the stores is a large one.
Cheers
Jacob