Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2021, 18:23   #1

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Mexican Navy vaccinated us

The wonderful Mexican Navy just vaccinated 3 boatloads of Canadian sailors. Sounds like a lot but it was just 5 cruisers in all. Painless and hassle free. I feel good about it.

Still masking up and avoiding crowds and events.

I think the mask is the new reality.

A.
Old 27-08-2021, 18:33   #2

Re: Mexican Navy vaccinated us

Interesting. Did they provide documentation?

Old 27-08-2021, 18:41   #3

Yes, we got papers, in Spanish. We have to pay for an English translation.
Old 28-08-2021, 04:21   #4

Did they give you information about getting your "CERTIFICADO DE VACUNACIÓN CONTRA LA COVID-19" (COVID-19 VACCINATION CERTIFICATE) online?

It is usually available a few days after you have been vaccinated in Mexico. This digital certificate might save you having to pay for an official english translated document.
Old 28-08-2021, 05:26   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

What vaccine and where were you?
Old 28-08-2021, 06:29   #6

NaClDog, they had the contact info posted so we took pictures of it. Still have to do download it. Am in no rush.

Paul L, did not get the ones we wanted, (physer or Moderna, those were used up).

We got the Ad something something in the city of Progreso, in the Yucatan Department.

The vaccine is one of the accepted ones that Canada requires.
Old 28-08-2021, 06:40   #7

Excellent!

The US is treating this as a political issue, the rest of the world see's it as it is, a very real life threatening health issue. (Thank God)
Old 28-08-2021, 07:49   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
NaClDog, they had the contact info posted so we took pictures of it. Still have to do download it. Am in no rush.

Paul L, did not get the ones we wanted, (physer or Moderna, those were used up).

We got the Ad something something in the city of Progreso, in the Yucatan Department.

The vaccine is one of the accepted ones that Canada requires.
I assume you mean AstraZenica.
Old 28-08-2021, 09:29   #9
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Way to Go!!
Good for you. Good for Mexico!
Old 28-08-2021, 09:30   #10

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

I would counter that politicians see this as a political game (on both sides), not the average citizen. Most Americans are getting vaccinated. The politicians and media lies on both sides. Yes, there are religious right and anti-vaccine folks, but they are the extreme. The data actually shows that minority populations are the ones lagging. For example, blacks in Florida were 1.8x less likely to be vaccinated than white Floridians. During the last 2 weeks or so, minority populations are getting vaccinated at a higher rate. That’s good. Everyone in the world should have an opportunity to get the vaccine. I’m not for ‘mandates’ but hopefully those not vaccinated will spend some more time researching the vaccine studies and stop relying on the media. Vaccines aren’t perfect, but they sure beat getting COVID if you’re unvaccinated. And yes, the more that are vaccinated the less the possibility of a variant that is much more deadly.
Old 28-08-2021, 10:07   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

Of course it’s being treated as a political issue in the US. Because it IS a political issue. Where I’m at, the government has arranged to get everyone a vaccination. One might have to wait a while or travel across town, but it’s available. What’s different from the US is that nobody is chasing people around ranting that they’ve GOT TO GET the shot or we’ll do all kinds of nasty things to force you to get it. I suspect that a fair percentage of the anti-vax sentiment in the US is resentment over the feeling that anybody who shouts "greater good" is trying to force everyone to adopt their position.
Old 28-08-2021, 11:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Of course it’s being treated as a political issue in the US. Because it IS a political issue. Where I’m at, the government has arranged to get everyone a vaccination. One might have to wait a while or travel across town, but it’s available. What’s different from the US is that nobody is chasing people around ranting that they’ve GOT TO GET the shot or we’ll do all kinds of nasty things to force you to get it. I suspect that a fair percentage of the anti-vax sentiment in the US is resentment over the feeling that anybody who shouts "greater good" is trying to force everyone to adopt their position.
Out of curiosity, where is it that you are? I happen to be in the U.S. and have not encountered any government agency saying you have GOT TO GET the shot or nasty things will happen, do you have any experience I should have had you can point to? Certainly every civilized country has rules like insisting food service workers wash their hands after they defecate before returning to food preparation in order to prevent passing infectious diseases to customers. But like COVID vaccines, if you decide you don't like the man telling you what to do you can certainly refrain from washing your hands all you want, you just don't get the privilege of a job preparing food for the public just like you don't get the privilege of providing healthcare if you won't take a vaccine that significantly reduces the chance of you passing an infectious disease to customers of the hospital, for example.

It's strange, you almost sound like you believe defiant oppositional disorder is a legitimate justification for putting others lives at risk, certainly you wouldn't be espousing that would you?
Old 28-08-2021, 12:06   #13

Sorry, but I have no intention of telling you where I am. I’m a guest in a foreign country and it’s not my place to tell them how they should, or shouldn’t run it. You clearly aren’t reading any news, because school districts, colleges, football teams, the US government, and many other organizations are demanding that people get the vaccination or they’ll be fined, fired or otherwise penalized. Passing laws, like "wash your hands" is one thing. Placing supervisors in every restaurant to enforce the laws is something else. As an example, the other night, I was in a large chain restaurant. The bar tender was washing the glasses, by hand, in a sink, then rinsing them in tap water. Am I supposed to raise a stink because their dishwashing doesn’t meet NSF requirements? Do you seriously think that every street restaurant meets your sanitary requirements? Every business now has to have a thermometer and an alcohol dispenser at the door. This morning, I had to go to a clinic to get some blood tests. Only about half the people entering used the thermometer and not one used the alcohol. Nobody was standing there watching them, and "enforcing" all the laws.

On this very forum recently, there was a thread about whether or not unvaccinated people should be denied medical care if they got COVID. I’m curious if some of the same people might not have been the ones advocating universal health care as a human right. It’s a human right only as long as you do what the government thinks you should? Obviously, anybody who disagrees with your position must have your imagined ""defiant delusional disorder."

Regardless of what YOU think is right, one doesn’t necessarily have the unilateral right to insist that everyone else agree with your version of "the greater good." And even "law-abiding" countries like Australia and Canada are developing groups that are demonstrating against the heavy-handed tactics of "well-meaning" governments.
Old 28-08-2021, 12:22   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post

Regardless of what YOU think is right, one doesn’t necessarily have the unilateral right to insist that everyone else agree with your version of "the greater good." And even "law-abiding" countries like Australia and Canada are developing groups that are demonstrating against the heavy-handed tactics of "well-meaning" governments.

Actually society does, they are called laws. They specify a common good and enforce them irrespective of an individuals views. It’s how societies survive
Old 28-08-2021, 12:36   #15

<go boating now> is correct. People who don’t generally agree with that sound-bite are usually labeled anarchists. But sound-bite arguments usually leave out all the important nuances. Not all laws are either just, or reasonable, or sensible or enforceable. Somewhere in the Declaration of Independence there’s a statement about "consent of the governed." So people can pass whatever laws they want, and try and enforce them, but that only works until enough people get "defiant delusional disorder” and reject the laws. I would suggest "separate but equal schools" and other old Jim Crow laws.

As to my alleged disorder, I’d refer you to a Buzzfeed article in today’s newsfeed about a number of silly rules that fell apart when the defiant people refused to go along with the good intentions.

Tags
navy