Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 05:27   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Storage for 50' Monohull Near NYC/NJ/CT/RI?

Hi,

Looking to store my boat from first week of April to July 1st CHEAPLY before cruising Maine with it for the summer.

Can anyone suggest lowest possible cost spots in the Northeast? The closer to NYC the better. However if it's really cheap, I'll go as far as Newport..

Will consider docks, moorings, potentially considering leaving her at anchor but that's my last resort. Cost is the #1 factor since this is just storage. I'm not using the boat until July.

Thanks!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 10:37   #2
cruiser

Re: Storage for 50' Monohull Near NYC/NJ/CT/RI?

Start checking Craigslist for something behind someone's house/office

Or use Garmin Activecaptain map to lookup marinas

Newport is super expensive

I'd worry about tax implications. CT probably wont work because of that. There are some private marinas between South Amboy and Atlantic Highlands NJ that might be willing to negotiate.

Most moorings are $50/night so thats about $4,500. Perhaps you can work a deal with someone for 90 nights. There are some people that own a lot of moorings or operate a launch service. Heck, in some towns a mooring permit might only be a couple hundred bucks and the mooring $1,500 or so you could possibly buy one and then sell it on craigslist after you are done?

The cheapest transient dock I know of is $2/foot/night so $9,000 for 50 feet for 90 nights. Some will offer weekly or monthly discounts though.

I'd avoid wasting time with anyone that has been bought out, i.e. Safe Harbor/Brewers marinas, find a marina that is privately owned and try negotiating a deal. I think you might be able to find a slip for $1,500/month on the south shore of long island or something in a less than desirable spot, i.e. freeport. Problem is 50 feet is pretty big and a lot of marinas are geared towards smaller boats.

I'd be nervous leaving my boat unattended that long. I'd want security cameras, some way to know electric is working, batteries topped off, no water getting in. That might mean finding a place where someone can keep an eye on your boat / respond if there is an emergency? How far would you be? I'd be real nervous leaving my boat on a mooring for 90 days straight!
Boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, nyc, storage