Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2024, 11:54   #1

on the look out

for a boat, I am arriving in Florida on Tuesday from the UK and interested in finding a sail boat that can take me around the Caribbean for a year or until I have had enough, needs to be able to house guests, be comfortable, not require a full refurb/refit and be sensibly priced, im looking at 37-45 foot, my budget is anything upto 50k USD.

I am staying for a week so keen to look at as many as possible, thankyou for taking the time to read this, if you or anyone you know is looking to sell then I would be keen to chat. many thanks.
kunfukev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: on the look out

I think you need to increase your budget x 3....about $150 might find what you are looking for.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 13:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Don't forget that Florida will impose a sales tax on anything you buy....that will eat $3-4K out of your budget right there...a boat survey will eat up another $2K or so, marina costs, boat insurance, etc will put another dent in your pocket......you might get lucky and salvage $40K out of your $50 budget. $40K is going to buy you a piece of junk if you are looking at the 37-45' range.
Old 04-02-2024, 15:03   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I think you need to increase your budget x 3....about $150 might find what you are looking for.
Disagree. Tons of boats under $50K that are suitable if you don't mind older, simpler, and without all the frufru.
Old 04-02-2024, 16:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: on the look out

Like this..
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...ol-39-8305473/

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 16:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

I'd certainly do a search on "Yachtworld" to see what is available prior to flying out to the to US. Florida is big place, with boats on both sides of the coast.

There remains the question of sales tax, haulout and survey, etc....plus marina costs..

Insurance is unknown territory for an older used boat.

A week is scant time to view, inspect and arrange for a survey, especially so if you havn't picked out a boat yet.

'jes sayin'.....
Old 04-02-2024, 16:23   #7

As a non-resident of the Florida purchasing a boat in Florida you can be exempted from paying the 6% Sales / Use taxation if you follow the procedures as described for non-residents with prompt removal of the vessel from Florida.

Link here:

https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_library/current/gt800006.pdf#:~:text=A%20boat%20that%20is%20brough t%20into%20Florida%20for,is%20not%20permitted%20wh ile%20it%20is%20in%20Florida.

If you are a UK citizen, I recommend that you flag the vessel with UK Small Ship Registry and obtain a US cruising license to ease somewhat the clearance from and to US ports. A foreign flagged vessel is specifically exempted from Florida use taxation.

If you intend to reenter the USA from a foreign port, e.g., the Bahamas, you will need to obtain a B1/B2 visa. You can fly into the USA using your ESTA and passport but will need a B1/B2 visa for entering by your private vessel.

A B1/B2 visa requires scheduling an immigration interview at the USA embassy or consulate in the country of your citizenship or permanent residency. Depending on which country you need to schedule the interview the wait for an appointment can be kind of long. By way of example, for Interview Required Appointment the scheduled wait time is 111 days in London, for Interview Waiver Appointment the wait time is 11 days. It will typically take between about 5 days to two months to process your visa after the interview if a visa is approved. So if you intend to enter the USA by your private vessel, I recommend that you make an appointment now. You can not obtain a B1/B2 visa in the USA.

Ditto for any passengers that may accompany you.

Plan accordingly on return flight back to your country of citizenship or of permanent residency.

Also, be sure that the passports for everyone will not expire in the near term. They essentially become invalid if their expiration date is within 6 months for obtaining a visa. Simple to just apply for new passports so as to have many years of validity.

It may take considerable time to refit your newly acquired vessel.

Bon voyages.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 16:29   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boatman, a 7'2" draft can be a deal killer in Florida...but other than that, seems like a nice boat. I don't see engine hours listed anywhere ?, but hey.....seems to tick all the boxes....
Old 04-02-2024, 17:41   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Boatman, a 7'2" draft can be a deal killer in Florida...but other than that, seems like a nice boat. I don't see engine hours listed anywhere ?, but hey.....seems to tick all the boxes....
Does for the Caribe tho' just skip the Bahamas.
Its in NC so he can head East and visit Bermuda then follow the '65' down to the islands..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-02-2024, 17:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Yep, can be done as you suggested !!

Still think $50K is a tad tight though...but when there is a will there will be a way....
Old 04-02-2024, 17:51   #11

Any purchase offer that you make should have as a buyer's contingency that requires obtaining insurance coverage acceptable for the buyer. Insurance is becoming more challenging, particularly if you don't have extensive prior experience in owning a vessel of the size you are considering and / or the vessel is older and then there is the entire issue of being in hurricane zone.

You will at least need liability insurance for access to marinas and for entry to some countries of the Caribbean.

All the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 18:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
MicHughV.. Where do you get 7.2ft from..
Sailboat Data gives the draft as 5.40ft..

Old 05-02-2024, 01:34   #13

Quote:
I'd certainly do a search on "Yachtworld" to see what is available prior to flying out to the to US. Florida is big place, with boats on both sides of the coast.

There remains the question of sales tax, haulout and survey, etc....plus marina costs..

Insurance is unknown territory for an older used boat.

A week is scant time to view, inspect and arrange for a survey, especially so if you havn't picked out a boat yet.

'jes sayin'.....

Fortunately I have already gone to the trouble of organising viewings of several boats.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Any purchase offer that you make should have as a buyer's contingency that requires obtaining insurance coverage acceptable for the buyer. Insurance is becoming more challenging, particularly if you don't have extensive prior experience in owning a vessel of the size you are considering and / or the vessel is older and then there is the entire issue of being in hurricane zone.

You will at least need liability insurance for access to marinas and for entry to some countries of the Caribbean.

All the best.

This would be my first boat so this is very helpful, I will look into the insurance issue on my arrival.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
As a non-resident of the Florida purchasing a boat in Florida you can be exempted from paying the 6% Sales / Use taxation if you follow the procedures as described for non-residents with prompt removal of the vessel from Florida.

Link here:

https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_library/current/gt800006.pdf#:~:text=A%20boat%20that%20is%20brough t%20into%20Florida%20for,is%20not%20permitted%20wh ile%20it%20is%20in%20Florida.

If you are a UK citizen, I recommend that you flag the vessel with UK Small Ship Registry and obtain a US cruising license to ease somewhat the clearance from and to US ports. A foreign flagged vessel is specifically exempted from Florida use taxation.

If you intend to reenter the USA from a foreign port, e.g., the Bahamas, you will need to obtain a B1/B2 visa. You can fly into the USA using your ESTA and passport but will need a B1/B2 visa for entering by your private vessel.

A B1/B2 visa requires scheduling an immigration interview at the USA embassy or consulate in the country of your citizenship or permanent residency. Depending on which country you need to schedule the interview the wait for an appointment can be kind of long. By way of example, for Interview Required Appointment the scheduled wait time is 111 days in London, for Interview Waiver Appointment the wait time is 11 days. It will typically take between about 5 days to two months to process your visa after the interview if a visa is approved. So if you intend to enter the USA by your private vessel, I recommend that you make an appointment now. You can not obtain a B1/B2 visa in the USA.

Ditto for any passengers that may accompany you.

Plan accordingly on return flight back to your country of citizenship or of permanent residency.

Also, be sure that the passports for everyone will not expire in the near term. They essentially become invalid if their expiration date is within 6 months for obtaining a visa. Simple to just apply for new passports so as to have many years of validity.

It may take considerable time to refit your newly acquired vessel.

Bon voyages.

Phew, at least i'll have 45k to spend now......

Thanks again, lots of very helpful and useful info, much appreciated.