Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2024, 02:55   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: on the look out

Seems to be plenty of choices on Facebook. These two below look interesting.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-02-05-20-48-38-728.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	286039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-02-05-20-47-32-220.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	286040  

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:55   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Boatman, the draft is given in the link you attached as 7.17'....which is 7.2"

scroll down until you see the tab " specifications"
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:01   #18
Marine Service Provider

I cruised with a boat in the B'mas that had a 7'6" draft..he had a tough time of it...he got around ok, just couldn't anchor around...always was w-a-a-a-y out there...

For the B'mas, ideally, you want 5'6" or less......The Caribbean Islands, as you say, have much deeper water.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:27   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: on the look out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Boatman, the draft is given in the link you attached as 7.17'....which is 7.2"

scroll down until you see the tab " specifications"
Ahh.. it says Max Draft 7.17 so it must be the CB model.

See BRISTOL 40.
BRISTOL 39 and 40 are nearly identical though dimensions changed slightly for all models.
Production (39) 1966-1970
Number built - 58
Production (40) 1970-1986
Number built - 149
A keel/cb version (BRISTOL 39 CB)was also available.
Keel/CB - draft: BD: 7.8'; BU: 4.0'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:37   #20
Marine Service Provider

I have not come across too many Bristols, attesting to their rarity, but I understand them to be a good boat.

So a good pick regardless, especially so at the stated price.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunfukev1 View Post
This would be my first boat so this is very helpful, I will look into the insurance issue on my arrival.
First Boat / Big Boat. Insurers tend to be quite hesitant to providing coverage to owners who do not have a lot of prior experience in operating boats of the large size. There is a big difference is displacement and values between a boat in the low 30 feet LOA and one that is in the upper 30's to lower 40's. And insurers also mitigate risk as to the allowed limits of travel of the vessel, [limitations as to near coastal versus offshore and to which regions]. Also, there are imposed requirements as to the minimum number of skilled crew and their specific experience acceptability that are required for the policy to be valid.

It is somewhat like the difference between a background of being licensed and driving a car and a professional having a commercial driver's license and a million miles of heavy-duty vehicle driving experience.

Prepare a detailed bio of your sailing experience so as to sell yourself as an experienced Master of the Seas.

You will be adding the challenge of obtaining insurance involving multiple jurisdictional factors: 1) where the vessel is located and to be located [Florida insurance must be purchased from a Florida licensed broker]; 2) the nationality of the owner & the operators; 3) the nationality of the vessel [its flagged nation].

Note: This insurance issue could very well be a deal blocker for your aspirations.

Good luck.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:45   #22

Another issue will be arranging for marina berth. The boat will need to be safely stored for at least until you go sailing about and preferably anchor out.

1) Locate a place, there is a shortage and typically a waiting list.
2) Budget for such.

You might find the thread regarding insurance linked here to be informative:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/has-boat-insurance-become-so-hard-to-find-283257-3.html#post3867608
Old 05-02-2024, 08:18   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have not come across too many Bristols, attesting to their rarity, but I understand them to be a good boat.

So a good pick regardless, especially so at the stated price.
Yup.. being a CB makes it a go anywhere boat, it's 4ft draft (BU) is perfect for the Bahamas and 7.17 (BD) also for the Windward Isles and ocean sailing + good pointing ability.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:43   #24
Marine Service Provider

Since this thread started I have, surprisingly, come across several boats which could check all the boxes.
LOA 37' plus...
Cost $$$$....$50 or less
etc..etc...

Could be something to pick over with $50K in your pocket, but most all are going to need some work...either $$$$ or elbow grease...or both.

But if the OP has some already picked out, would like to see what they are. I found some possibilities in Georgia and NC.

It also begs the question, why come all the way to Florida to find a boat ? Surely there are boats available in the UK.

I'm intrigued to see how this all pans out......if the OP is willing to share...as my experience has always been, that once purchased, a number of things invariable float to the top requiring time and money to fix, especially with boats in the 30-40 year age.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:08   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Doesn't fancy a Transat maybe..

Old 05-02-2024, 11:13   #26
Marine Service Provider

I would think a trip from the UK to the Carib, would be a lot easier to do, than slugging you way to windward from Florida to the Carib, probably quicker too.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:19   #27

Quote:
. . .

It also begs the question, why come all the way to Florida to find a boat ? Surely there are boats available in the UK.

I'm intrigued to see how this all pans out......if the OP is willing to share...as my experience has always been, that once purchased, a number of things invariable float to the top requiring time and money to fix, especially with boats in the 30-40 year age.
The OP desires to traverse the Caribbean for a year. Florida provides for proximity to the large inventory of sailboats and to start and end the navigation.

Of course, there is the challenge of hurricane season, June 1 to November 30.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:25   #28
Marine Service Provider

Many years ago, back in the 70's, I was living in Somerset, England, and I often wandered around the coast there looking at boats, when I came across a smallish boat for sale, 24' or thereabouts, your classic English bilge keeler, when the thought occurred to me, I could sail this to the Caribbean. Fortunately, wiser heads prevailed and I was dissuaded from trying to do this, especially so, as I would be going solo.

Florida must have 123,567,876,440 boats for sale at any given time, so something is bound to fit the bill.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:26   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would think a trip from the UK to the Carib, would be a lot easier to do, than slugging you way to windward from Florida to the Carib, probably quicker too.
It can be done in 10 days or less if you go over the top of the Bahamas.. done it a couple of times and advised MarkJ to follow that route which he did in a near equal time..
Its only 1000 + or - nm to SXM/BVI.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:32   #30

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) announced that Florida continues to lead the nation and has passed the mark of 1 million registered recreational vessels across the state. Florida, with its great year-round weather and plenty of access to fresh and salt water, is the “Boating Capital of the World.” With more people calling Florida home and more vessels on the water, it’s important that residents and visitors practice safe boating.

The top five counties for vessel registration in Florida are Miami-Dade (74,622), Pinellas (53,867), Lee (50,304), Broward (47,741) and Hillsborough (41,495).

The million boats does not include the many boats that are temporarily visiting from other states and countries.