Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 04:07   #1

Looking for a slip to rent in Louisiana

Hello, everyone, I am a newbie. I want to get into sailing looking into taking classes and buying a boat. I am trying to find a place to keep the boat and maybe get some prices. I live in Louisiana and have done some research online but can't find much. I appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Chris88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Looking for a slip to rent in Louisiana

Have you considered starting with a boat on a trailer? It would cost less and give you more options as where to sail as you gain experience. Storing a trailer/boat in a yard is cheaper than a slip if you can't keep one at home.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Have you considered starting with a boat on a trailer? It would cost less and give you more options as where to sail as you gain experience. Storing a trailer/boat in a yard is cheaper than a slip if you can't keep one at home.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have considered that. I am looking to sail mostly in the Gulf of Mexico so I am still checking out the size boat that would fit my needs.
Again thanks for your reply
Chris88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 22:37   #4

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Unfortunately few Gulf sailing options are in Louisiana. The low-lying marshy nature of most of coadtal Louisiana precludes many Gulf-fronting choices. Directly on the Gulf, about the only option is Grand Isle. Just about everywhere else will involve a transit of some distance. At Cypremort on West Cote Blanche Bay you still have a good three hours to the Gulf at 6 kts. and roughly the same from Danny Richard’s at Intercoastal City going thru Vermillion Bay. Lake Charles is even further via Cameron. Yachts have berthed at Cameron, but it’s taken numerous storm hits the last few years, and even if berths were in usable condition, marine services are just about non-existent.
That leaves the best for last- the New Orleans/Pontchartdain area makes up for what the rest of the state lacks. Not for nothing is it the home of the Southern Yacht Club, the 2nd oldest club in the US. The lake alone is about 640 sq. mi., with yacht infrastructure on both southern and northern shores at Madisonville, Mandeville, Slidell, and several locations in New Orleans proper. Egress to the Gulf can be thru the Mississippi, tho not recommended because of really heavy traffic- and distance. Some offshore fishing yachts berth at Venice, but that’s about 35 mi to the Gulf at Southwest Pass. The preferred exit though is through the Rigolets and Lake Borgne to Mississippi Sound. The distance is no less, depending on where you depart, but it is as prime a cruising ground in the US as may be found, excepting the Keys and Coastal Maine. (I know, plenty of room for disagreement there).
But you get the picture. Louisiana sailing is pretty much confined to the New Orleans area, but it’s pretty good there.
Good Luck