Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 07:35   #61

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’
Re: The romantic notion of a secluded anchorage vs. real life

Mooring fields, like many things, have pluses and minuses. During the high season, they can feel like RV Parks, crowded and noisy. On the plus side, they provide increased access to nice spots, and they provide opportunity for a good nights sleep as the worry about someone dragging their anchor is non-existent, as is the need to address the amount of rode with each tide change.

Many of us are limited as to when we can cruise and how far we have time to go. In the summer, Moorings can be the difference between going or not, and I’d rather go. In the winter, I have the cove to myself, and I get to sleep through the night because I’m on a mooring. That’s a win-win!

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:45   #62

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

At anchor, Robinson Keys, San Blas, Panama...only boat in sight (except indigenous "ulus"), going on day 3 now.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:13   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The romantic notion of a secluded anchorage vs. real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I suspect that the bigger factor here is increased concentration of boaters in fewer locations.

Our global population is growing rapidly, but so is urbanization. Numbers are going way up, but people are concentrating in fewer large urban areas.

I suspect the same phenomena may be happening in the boating/cruising world. Total numbers may be on the rise, but most are concentrating in a relatively few locations.

So, if you want to be away from the crowds, just go to places with no Internet connection. That seems to weed out most people these days.
Or far away places that involve 3000nm sailing to get to like Nuku Hiva and the others in the group..
Just the odd few boats hurrying through a coupla months of the year..
Though to be honest I have gone a couple of weeks and more in the Med without seeing another boat.. gratitude goes to the herd instinct.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:22   #64

There's nice little island up in these here parts with two anchorages available. One is crowded all the time. The other one is empty almost all the time because there is a BIG rock at the entrance. I haven't yet explained to anyone else that since the rock is marked clearly, and won't be moving in my lifetime, that it's easy in-easy out. Keeps the crowds in the other anchorage. I have't told the cruising guide folks either...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:31   #65
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And after a while, we have wanted some human companionship and gone to some more popular spot with both other cruisers and interesting locals. And enjoyed that immensely.

Jim
This is what we find, more so in meeting other sailors. Don't get me wrong, some of our most memorable moments are with commercial fishermen, they are a blast, but few sail and its sometimes nice to talk shop with fellow sailors. Most times we are alone in anchorages and try to alternate empty anchorages and finding dock space in towns and see who's there, hang out, swap stories, drinks, etc then move on again.

Just a side note that when commercial fishermen are around, out come the food and drinks, most appreciate eating fresh food when they've been out for a while and always have a stash of homemade canned goodies from jams to canned seafood. To date the best exchange we've made was for a jar of smoked cockles in seal fat, a jar of salmon berry jam and a jar of canned smoked coho for a half bottle of rum
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:09   #66

Boat: 43 Mikelson

This tread about crowded coves and too many boats seems to contradict another earlier thread “ Where have all the cruisers gone?”
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:25   #67

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post

Just a side note that when commercial fishermen are around, out come the food and drinks, most appreciate eating fresh food when they've been out for a while and always have a stash of homemade canned goodies from jams to canned seafood. To date the best exchange we've made was for a jar of smoked cockles in seal fat, a jar of salmon berry jam and a jar of canned smoked coho for a half bottle of rum
Since when has fresh food been canned?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:28   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The romantic notion of a secluded anchorage vs. real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
This tread about crowded coves and too many boats seems to contradict another earlier thread “ Where have all the cruisers gone?”
Its summer Charter crowds in the BVI's/Caribe, Med etc..
Thats progress..
Why are the youth not sailing.???
Why are anchorages so crowded..???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:44   #69

Boat: Schooner scow

When we cruised the Abacos in our Morgan 462 we were constantly away from crowded anchorages. Our draft limited us from the ones that populate all the guide books so we were forced, thankfully to find deeper water coves. Those seemed to be shunned by the rest of the cruising/charter fleet. We once sailed into Marsh Harbour and were appalled at the density there. We got out ASAP and found a spot north by about two miles that was quiet and deserted. Same thing at Green Turtle and Spanish Keys. We just hung out at Powell key and Pensacola key. And used the dinghy to the beaches. Even hung out in the roads off of Cooperstown during a northwest blow with only one neighbour.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:36   #70
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Since when has fresh food been canned?
Most fishermen eat canned food and fresh fish (when they are allowed to retain, which inst very often) They enjoy fresh, and fresh home cooked as a lot of them tend to eat on the go (out of the can and usually cold). Make them a nice meal and they'll hand over something in return, be it canned or fresh fish.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:04   #71

My sailboat is in Lake Erie. I have been boating since I was born, well over 50 years ago. I lived through the age of water skiing back in the 60's and 70's. Back then everyone who had a boat with enough power HAD to water ski. Then came the Walleye years in Lake Erie. Walleye fishing created huge crowds at the marinas and in Lake Erie. Likewise Salmon drove huge numbers of boaters to Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. If you didn't limit out when Walleye fishing on Lake Erie, you were probably doing something wrong. Since then the crowds on the Great Lakes peaked and now they are clearly falling. Fishing is way down. Michigan is becoming very concerned since the number of hunting and fishing licenses sold is falling quickly. I have been out on my sailboat in the spring and fall in the middle of Lake Erie several times only to realize that there were no boats to be seen, period. Nothing visible for many, many miles. So at least on the Great Lakes the number of boats is falling quickly. My marina can't fill the slips and I believe that most of the marinas around the Great Lakes are having the same issue. Other than my concern for funding to keep channels dredged, I am perfectly ok being the only boat visible on the lake. :-)
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:20   #72

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
At anchor, Robinson Keys, San Blas, Panama...only boat in sight (except indigenous "ulus"), going on day 3 now.
Damn, another cruising boat just showed up...well, at least they are the only one and at least 100 meters away.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 13:26   #73

Boat: Schooner scow

Dave9111 we have our boat now on Lake St Clair and therefore cruise from Lake Erie through to Lake Huron. Where we are the crowds are pretty thick. Our Marina is full and has a waiting list. Secluded sailing or anchoring is really nonexistent. I fondle remember our time cruising the Abacos but I guess to everything there is a season... we’ll forever miss the serenity of the secluded coves of the Northern Bahamas.
Old 08-03-2019, 14:32   #74

Lake St. Clair is sort of a special case. There are a lot of boats on that lake. Lake Erie and Huron, not so much. I'm at a premier marina on the western shore of Erie and every year there are more and more open slips. I know of another major marina (likely the biggest on Lake Erie) on the south shore and it has over 1000 slips, and about half of them are being used.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...marine-patrols
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 15:30   #75

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There's nice little island up in these here parts with two anchorages available. One is crowded all the time. The other one is empty almost all the time because there is a BIG rock at the entrance. I haven't yet explained to anyone else that since the rock is marked clearly, and won't be moving in my lifetime, that it's easy in-easy out. Keeps the crowds in the other anchorage. I have't told the cruising guide folks either...

Imho, you just described a bunch of the Gulf Islands !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor