Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 07:51   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Tampa Bay Clear In?

I have a friend who is diverting to Tampa Bay and needs to know where to go to clear in. Where to go and what is the drill there?

(Ive sailed a lot in Tampa Bay, but never cleared there).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Tampa Bay Clear In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I have a friend who is diverting to Tampa Bay and needs to know where to go to clear in. Where to go and what is the drill there?

(Ive sailed a lot in Tampa Bay, but never cleared there).

Not being sarcastic- Google is your friend. I did a search St. Petersburg custom and border patrol.

Nearest is up by Clearwater.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:17   #3

When u can get to Google. I have very limited Internet here and they have zero, but thanks for the help.
Old 17-02-2019, 08:29   #4

For future reference, they raised officials on VHF and were advised to proceed to the nearest marina and officials would come to them. Real world trumps Google.
Old 17-02-2019, 18:15   #5

I have a bit better Internet service now so for future reference: They contacted USCG who advised them to head directly to a nearby marina and they would meet them there. They went to St Pete Municipal Marina. USCG checked their paperwork and gave them a clearance number. They then went to St Pete Airport to have their passports stamped. All good now.

Officials were professional and courteous. No hassles. The same owner (Brazillian) and boat (Delaware registered) has cleared into Ft Myers twice before and was treated very badly (by the same official).
Old 18-02-2019, 11:18   #6

Boat: S2 11.0a

I believe they could have also used the CBP ROAM app on their smartphone? They would have wanted to create an account, upload docs, etc, beforehand. It's my understanding you do not have to be a US citizen to use this feature.

When in US waters and with cell service, request check in and wait. Either they will clear you in right away, or do a video chat with a CBP officer, or possibly be asked to report in person...

US citizens who are also "trusted travelers" report they do not have to report or do the interview ... click check in, wait, get clearance message back.
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote