Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2009, 15:33   #1

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Mexico

I would like to propse a forum for Mexico. There are so many sailors who are here in the country, or planning to come here. As well as many of us who have moved to a land based home and sail here. It is common for us to get all the same questions we had before we made the move.
If there is any interest, I would be glad to contribute what I know, or link you up with someone who know's.
Believe me, Mexico offers so much for the sailor's, as well as folks looking to get down to some good winter weather.
Any questions, let em' fly..... Photo of my home port. San Carlos Sonora Mexico. And a couple shots of the boat out in front of the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	San Carlos.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	8107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2286.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	8108  

Name:	IMGP2635.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	8109  
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 16:39   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's an interesting proposal, Jmolan. Let's see what others think. I agree that Mexico gets a lot of Americanos del Norte down that way come ~Halloween.

I like the pics you put up. For reliability, there's nothing like the original I/O (inboard/outboard) powerplant for the dinghy.

TaoJones
Old 13-05-2009, 17:15   #3

Where I live they put 600 to 800 boats on the hard in the summer. A pretty amazing display of fully rigged cruising boats lined up row after row. They do a good job of it too (the yard). All Cat equipment and hydraulic trailers. It is an alternative to leaving the Mexico area for hurricane season. Many people here never leave Mexico, they sail 6 or 8 months and put it in storage and go back to the USA or Canada for summer and family stuff.
There is so much bad press about Mexico it would be laughable, except it has effected the Mexican people who have built up quite an industry taking care of tourists and sailor and all.
Old 13-05-2009, 17:21   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, it's sad how the Mexicans have been adversely impacted by a string of recent unfortunate headlines, not just the H1N1 flu story.

Is that a condo development in the foreground of your San Carlos aerial shot? Do you anchor out in that bay, or do you take an end-tie, perhaps?

TaoJones
Old 13-05-2009, 17:39   #5

Boat: CT54
I think a forum on Mexico is a great idea!
We will be heading there in the fall and have been trying to get as much information as we can on what to expect.
By the way all the media hype has done nothing to deter our plans to head south this year
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 17:50   #6

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Having a boat in Puerto Vallarta, I agree. It would be nice to share pointers and ideas with others in a focused manner.
Old 13-05-2009, 19:42   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
I like the idea too. Are we going to limit this to the West coast of Mexico?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 20:16   #8

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I would be interested to read about cruising and stops along the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico coast if anyone has done so.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 21:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Yes, it's sad how the Mexicans have been adversely impacted by a string of recent unfortunate headlines, not just the H1N1 flu story.

Is that a condo development in the foreground of your San Carlos aerial shot? Do you anchor out in that bay, or do you take an end-tie, perhaps?

TaoJones
TJ, this was a photo from a couple years ago. There is still plenty of dirt and open ground in San Carlos. Mexican building projects have a funny way of sprouting up and stopping before they get done.

On the outer harbor over half the boats are on moorings. Further out and to the left are visiting boats on anchor.

We are extremal fortunate. We are just out of that photo and in a small elbow that is right in front of our home. It is a very fair spot to leave a boat about 8 months out of the year. When the summer southerly wind come it is too exposed. But we haul the boat and go north for the summer anyway. We have our own trailer, they charge $13 US to haul us...no wait that is for a round trip. It is more if you use there trailer...:-)
My Mexico experience is only one. I hope other will chime in. But it seems to be a curiosity about living down here, and what it involves. I call it "user friendly" As long as you are not a jerk. If you are a jerk, and used to getting your way by being pushy or loud, the Mexican Will flat shut you out. I have seen it too many times. Those same people go home and complain what a lousy country it is......And for them it was, no one would put up with their BS, and they get shut out...:-) The jerk factor here is very small.
And the retirees you meet are all unique. If you want to play it safe you move to Yuma, if you are adventurous you move to Mexico. Some very cool retirees here...:-)....I heard one get ask how old he was...he said "10 years younger than when I moved here...:-)
Just some random thought while the photos loaded. Not sure of the order but they are all in front of our home or on the launch ramp. The one shot from the water you can see our home just off the bow behind the boat.......any questions? Fire away...:-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2282.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	8114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0635.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	8115  

Name:	024444_21A.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	8116   Click image for larger version

Name:	014_111A.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	8117  

Name:	P1010301.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	8118   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020341.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	8119  

Old 13-05-2009, 21:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
I think a forum on Mexico is a great idea!
We will be heading there in the fall and have been trying to get as much information as we can on what to expect.
By the way all the media hype has done nothing to deter our plans to head south this year
Jackie
Jackie I am glad to hear it. Too many fall for the crap. If you are not doing drugs on the border towns, you are pretty well assured to have a safe and fun time...:-)
Old 13-05-2009, 22:51   #11

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
I would love to go to mexico and beyond but I don't want my wooden boat taken from me by the federalies. See my profile of the pictures if you don't believe.
Old 14-05-2009, 00:42   #12

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Here's how I remember San Carlos, guess it's been a while
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a91.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	8126  

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 07:32   #13

Boat: China Girl - Cheoy Lee 27'
Yes, definitely start a Mexico forum. My husband and I will be sailing in the Sea of Cortez starting this fall and would love to have as much info and advice as possible, and a place to share our own experiences.
Hurricane Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 08:12   #14

Boat: Irwin 37 Ketch, Southern Drawl
Hi, Jmolan... Yes, I'd like to see some discussion of the Sea of Cortez. I have a sailing buddy who's boat is on the hard in San Carlos now and he's coming back later in the summer to sail back down toward LaPaz. I sailed with him for a while last November and really enjoyed the southern Sea of Cortez. My chief question is about a source of cheap or free Rastor charts for that area? I'd like to put them on SeaClear II or OpenCPN chartplotters, being a real cheap sailor. I'm looking forward to seeing how this forum develops.
Thanks
SouthernDrawl
SouthernDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 08:25   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
For those questioning the East coast of Mexico, I'd suggest a thread called "Mexico East" or something like that.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico