Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 07:45   #1

Boat: 1972 47' Chris Craft Commander YF
Information on Mississippi Barrier Islands

We're planning to spend some time around the barrier islands off the Mississippi Coast this Spring and am looking for information about the impact on this area since Katrina (i.e. depths, debris, anchoring, etc) Any information about Cat Island, Ship Island, or Horn Island will be helpful.

How would I go about trying to set up a community on this site for boaters in this area? I live in the New Orleans area and there is a lot of boating from here throughout the Panama City, FL area.

Thanks,
Clint Cheveallier
- Home
jcchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Information on Mississippi Barrier Islands

Clint,

Do a member search with LA.... besides the 2 I mentioned elsewhere... There are TONS MORE near you!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 20:42   #3

Boat: Mac 26X

I'm planning on cruising these Islands in April. Planning on sailing from Dauphin to NO, then Bayou Teche. And info on weather that time of year, fishing, anchoring (sand bottom yes?) etc...I'm all ears
Old 24-02-2013, 07:26   #4

Great sailing around them. The only problem is they are well protected in most places from the prevailing SE winds, but can be rough when the wind comes out of the W or NW.

Ship Island, although usually crowded, is one of the best places to anchor, especially, near the old fort.

Horn Island is more desolate and a good place to anchor is off the place marked as the "Horseshoe"

Cat Island is more complicated. There are some good anchorages on the south side, but you almost need local knowledge to use them and there is a lot of shoal water around Cat even though it has some really good anchorages.

All of the bottoms are sand, or sand with a little mud mixed in and holding is always pretty good. Gnats can be a problem and can make anchoring farther out than really optimal for wind and wave protection, necessary to save your sanity.

If your chart is pre-Katrina, be extra careful. There is a lot of shoals that were deep water before Katrina. I ran aground one day in a place that used to be deep and I've been sailing there almost my whole life.

You can always put into marinas in Pascagoula, Biloxi, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, Long Beach and Pass Christian in an emergency or if you are nervous about getting caught out in bad weather.

You almost never get a really strong north wind, so you don't end up on a dangerous lee that often when you anchor north of the barrier islands, and there really isn't anywhere to drag to, if you get hit with a strong E or W wind as long as you don't anchor in a cluster of boats, so it's not a particualr perilous place to stay. Uncomfortable at times, but that's about it.

Except for hurricanes of course. In that case, run like a scared rabbit.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:27   #5

Did you see the post from Group 9? Good info.......Weather should be nice in April....
Old 24-02-2013, 16:27   #6

Thanks for the info man, it'll help. I've got a fabulously shallow draft Sooooooo that ought to help.

What should I plan on for fishing? I'm used to muddy water lol
Old 24-02-2013, 16:40   #7

You might see muddy water that time of year, but maybe not. We've had a ton of rain in this area since December and lots of high water. Fishing should be good for trout and reds as well as flounder around the flats. Plastics work well especially when tipped with those little shrimp flavored pieces you can get at Bass Pro, etc. There are some good guides in the area if you want to get serious about fishing.

Enjoy and be safe.....
Old 24-02-2013, 18:56   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If your gonna fish the flats for fish on your trip be sure to bring some gold- brass spoons for the red fish they love em !! And remember give us a shout when ya get close and we will be glad to see ya !!
Old 24-02-2013, 19:25   #9

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Group 9 did a good job describing the MS sound barrier islands and they are nice in South winds. Personally I prefer the cruising grounds East of Mobile Bay, for their white sand and clearer water. I have been to Horn Is near the Horseshoe and it was very nice.
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:31   #10

Sounds like (here and lots of other reading) that it's esentially the same as here in TX. I just assumed it would be different in the clear water. I'll be looking for some fish for the barby and some time to do nothing...here's hoping the weather cooperates.

If I use a marina it will mean the wheels fell off. So I'm glad to hear the Nothers aren't gonna blow me to Cuba. Looks Like Dauphin and Hook have places I can hide on the S side w/o being exposed to the gulf waves. But I'll just hope for S winds at 15 for a week or so :-)

Bob...I'll be seeing you for sure. Planning on stopping on my way to the Teche after NO.
Old 24-02-2013, 19:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
Group 9 did a good job describing the MS sound barrier islands and they are nice in South winds. Personally I prefer the cruising grounds East of Mobile Bay, for their white sand and clearer water. I have been to Horn Is near the Horseshoe and it was very nice.
Steve W
Been there...this trip will complete the Gulf Coast for me from Mexico to the hook of FL. Plus more isolated...I'm spoiled here in TX, rarely annother boat in the anchorage that's not a flats fisher!
Old 24-02-2013, 19:41   #12

Hello from New Orleans. We've sailed out to the barrier islands and had some fun out there. The shoals shift around but we had no problems. Check the weather carefully, we got nailed by a northern squall just off Dauphine island and it was NOT fun.
Old 25-02-2013, 11:19   #13

Yea, we're having pretty serious storms regularly these days. Hopefully that will end soon. Which island offered the best anchorages for you?
Old 26-02-2013, 18:53   #14

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Thanks for the info man, it'll help. I've got a fabulously shallow draft Sooooooo that ought to help.

What should I plan on for fishing? I'm used to muddy water lol
The fishing at the Chandeleur Is. is some of the best for speckled trout, redfish, your shallow draft will be a plus there.
check it out here May is the right time for the Chandeleur Islands - Mississippi Sportsman
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 20:12   #15

Aren't the Chandeleur Is. in LA? If the weather is right I thought I'd try to get a look at them, but I figured my MS non-resident license wasn't good for there. Not that I copuldn't get a LA one, but fishing is really incidental to the trip.

Tags
mississippi