Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 10:46   #31

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

You will not be asked for boat insurance to enter a foreign country, and only the USA requires it's citizens to have medical insurance. Mass insurance coverage is an American phenomenon and we never met a foreigner who carried insurance on their boat. Medical treatment is much cheaper out of country and carrying US/international medical insurance is a waste of $$, except for DAN and a catastrophe plan.

State registration is not needed if you have USCG Doc.

I was never asked for Birth Certs since we all had passports.

In the E. Caribbean, only Antigua asked for Radio station license. And I'm not sure I had to show paperwork for clearing out anywhere, though they ask your last port of call.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 13:39   #32

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.
Smile Re: General Documents for Entry at Foreign Ports

….always found a yacht seal/stamp handy......and impresses those needing to be so...…...crew list on yacht letterheads......and a photocopier for those requiring umpteen copies...…
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 16:56   #33

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
You will not be asked for boat insurance to enter a foreign country, and only the USA requires it's citizens to have medical insurance. Mass insurance coverage is an American phenomenon and we never met a foreigner who carried insurance on their boat. Medical treatment is much cheaper out of country and carrying US/international medical insurance is a waste of $$, except for DAN and a catastrophe plan.

State registration is not needed if you have USCG Doc.

I was never asked for Birth Certs since we all had passports.

In the E. Caribbean, only Antigua asked for Radio station license. And I'm not sure I had to show paperwork for clearing out anywhere, though they ask your last port of call.

Thanks for the info...
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 16:57   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
….always found a yacht seal/stamp handy......and impresses those needing to be so...…...crew list on yacht letterheads......and a photocopier for those requiring umpteen copies...…

Yes, we've heard the stamp comment before, but no one has specified...embossed or inked? Or both?
Old 19-11-2019, 17:51   #35

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
Great info, thanks. Now the captain's license...don't have one of those...have never thought of getting one as I have no plans to charter, deliver, etc.
30+ countries and I've never been asked for a Skippers license.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 17:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailwithscott View Post
Panama and other Central American countries want a Zarpa, which is proof that you left your last port with all bills paid,
Which is just a port clearance.
Old 20-11-2019, 04:23   #37

As an example on what my original question was based, I went to Noonsite and read through the 'Formalities' page for the Azores, one of the places we are considering to visit within a couple of years. From Noonsite:

"Yachts must carry their original registration document, insurance policy and ship’s radio license. One member of the crew must have a radio operator’s certificate of competence. For EU boats, proof of VAT status is also required. It is also very useful to have a typed sheet containing the name of the boat, port of registry, and the crew list.

A transit log (Livrete de Transito) is no longer required by non-EU yachts."

As you can see the Azores say want a copy of the vessel's radio license...does that mean they will want to see it upon entry? Maybe, maybe not. The same for insurance on the boat...

For me, the curious thing is the requirement that, "one member of the crew must have a radio operator’s certificate of competence." We're a US flagged yacht, and to my knowledge, the FCC does not issue any such certificates for VHF radio operators - only the station license. I've found one private organization, Professional Yachtmaster Training, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL which does issue competency certificates in the US. Otherwise, most of the certificate issuing facilities are in the UK, Australia, etc., for vessels flagged in their respective countries. From what I've read, this is a legal requirement to operate a VHF on the International band(s), and is taken quite seriously.

Again, I want to thank everyone who's responded for their input and comments. For us, this is something we're sorting out for our future plans.

EDIT: I have just found on the FCC website, info on the 'Restricted Radio Operator's Permit,' which 'licenses' the radio station holder to 'communicate with with foreign coast or ship stations.' I'm curious if this is the same thing as the 'radio operator's certificate of competence?' Apparently, there's no test for the permit; you apply, and it's mailed to you and is valid for your lifetime.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:24   #38

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
As you can see the Azores say want a copy of the vessel's radio license...does that mean they will want to see it upon entry? Maybe, maybe not. The same for insurance on the boat...
It is fairly safe to assume that in most countries foreign boats will need a radio licence and the operators will need a permit (most places operate under the same international radio treaties) ... although that will probably be the law you may not be asked to ever show them, but remember that they could ask to see them if they want to.

For example despite waiving the requirements for local boats to have a ships station licence, both Canada and the USA require them for foreign boats and in each others waters (I think also even for talking to a boat the other side of the border) ... yet I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce their licence.

You can maybe get away without it, but since you're doing diligent prep work ... just get the radio papers and file them away somewhere safe.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 09:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
It is fairly safe to assume that in most countries foreign boats will need a radio licence and the operators will need a permit (most places operate under the same international radio treaties) ... although that will probably be the law you may not be asked to ever show them, but remember that they could ask to see them if they want to.

For example despite waiving the requirements for local boats to have a ships station licence, both Canada and the USA require them for foreign boats and in each others waters (I think also even for talking to a boat the other side of the border) ... yet I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce their licence.

You can maybe get away without it, but since you're doing diligent prep work ... just get the radio papers and file them away somewhere safe.
Never once been asked for my radio license.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:36   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Never once been asked for my radio license.

It's likely a longshot, I agree.

A good friend of mine, who's done three circumnavigations didn't carry insurance on his boat for any of them, and on two, no medical insurance for himself - on those, he was singlehanding. He told me that once while sitting in a waiting area in a port captain's office, I think in Uruguay, that he hadn't been asked for proof of insurance, but while he sat there, the same 'clerk' in the office he had been dealing with asked two other captains for proof of insurance on their respective yachts.

Seems to be better to be over prepared than not.
Old 20-11-2019, 10:13   #41

Quote:
Exactly.

It's likely a longshot, I agree.

A good friend of mine, who's done three circumnavigations didn't carry insurance on his boat for any of them, and on two, no medical insurance for himself - on those, he was singlehanding. He told me that once while sitting in a waiting area in a port captain's office, I think in Uruguay, that he hadn't been asked for proof of insurance, but while he sat there, the same 'clerk' in the office he had been dealing with asked two other captains for proof of insurance on their respective yachts.

Seems to be better to be over prepared than not.
Other than a couple of marinas I've never been asked for insurance while checking in.
Old 20-11-2019, 11:42   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Better over prepared than under, but Ive never been asked for POI, not even in marinas, or radio liscenses in the W Carib.

Ive got them, just not been asked.

Dont ever recall being asked in E Carib either, but Ive not hit all the islands there (a pretty good sample though).

Just confirmed we were not asked for either in Bermuda or Azores recently either.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 17:11   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Better over prepared than under, but Ive never been asked for POI, not even in marinas, or radio liscenses in the W Carib.

Ive got them, just not been asked.

Dont ever recall being asked in E Carib either, but Ive not hit all the islands there (a pretty good sample though).

Just confirmed we were not asked for either in Bermuda or Azores recently either.

Thanks much!
Old 25-11-2019, 07:08   #44

Bill & Lisa,
You might want to take a quick watch of a short (5 Min) video we did a few years back. It talks about how we handle all of the stuff.... https://youtu.be/PB0M0G2Vurc
And for a personal look, when you are in that foreign place....https://youtu.be/Yyz14Ygri4c
Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 07:52   #45

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

I think you have the right ideas as to what documents.

It's my feeling that you can't have too much, because you can never know what you will be asked for. It all depends on the country. I never thought of a marriage license, if you have 1, as we weren't going to countries where that could be a question. IF you are taking children birth certificates for them might be important.

1 of the 1st things I did was to get a 3 ring binder in a zipper case, with a hand grip. There are 2 sides to the 1 I have.

1 side has all of our ships papers (we are on a trawler and unlikely to visit a foreign country, other than Canada which we have boated thru), legal documents, which include most of what you mentioned including my military discharge (DD214).

The other side I use for some important manuals; engines, steering, etc.

I have plastic sleeves which I put the documents in.

This is what mine looks like; (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-it-1...ll&athena=true).

I know I have everything I need in 1 place and when we put our boat up for the winter, my binder comes with us.

Never know when you'll need some info that is there.

Good luck & stay safe out there.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, ports