Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 14:42   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Cruise ship Viking Sky sends out a mayday call,

Regarding engine restart/loss of oil:

IIRC, which is not a sure thing, the El Faro accident investigation discussed the restart procedure. The thing is that once the suction line gets air in the system the the system needs to be purged of air. The pumps are gear pumps (?) and not self priming. So somehow you have to burp the system, feed it oil from some other type of pump, to get it working.

Anyway that’s what I recall.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:42   #92

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Regarding engine restart/loss of oil:

IIRC, which is not a sure thing, the El Faro accident investigation discussed the restart procedure. The thing is that once the suction line gets air in the system the the system needs to be purged of air. The pumps are gear pumps (?) and not self priming. So somehow you have to burp the system, feed it oil from some other type of pump, to get it working.

Anyway that’s what I recall.
^^^^^
That's certainly a plausible explanation. Could be that. Could be electronic. Probably a long time before we find out! Anyhow, thank you for that, hpeer.

Ann
Old 31-03-2019, 16:30   #93

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Ship built 2 yrs ago. Any bugs should have been well shaken out by now, but motors still new enough to be at their best. And any bugs would have been worked out even in the software side.
Boeing 737 Max 8/9 is, likewise, about 2 years old.

Both ship & aircraft new enough to be unworn, but not so new as to be untested/debugged.
Seems strikingly similar to me.

The Boeing issue is one of lack of training protocol and unfamiliarity with control shutdown procedures and location of switches on dash vs. yoke (not to mention crappy fly by wire software) and the devil in the details is self certifications allowed by the FAA to Boeing, at least that’s what info I’ve been able to collect.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 16:47   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wildcats View Post
I've been listening and reading on the matter - you have far more practical knowledge than I do and I'll defer to your judgement. My understanding is that the 737Max8 had a changes, but nothing requiring new training, new manual or recertifications. The new system in question that has led to two crashes is related to a faulty reading that makes the plane self correct in error. The pilots weren't made aware of the new system and thus the way to disengage it. In turn they fought for control with dire outcomes. Again, this i my understanding and I have zero practical experience other than ground and flight school for private license - both of which was 30 years ago. So, I'll defer to your judgment. thanks for helping me understand better.

If the pilot doesn’t require training to know how to shut off a runaway control input, we’re all in trouble. It most definitely requires additional training if they crashed because they didn’t know that. The MCAS (maneuvering characteristics augmentation system?) inputs are the runaway inputs and the pilots tried to disable them from the yoke (which are momentary) as opposed to the dash panel, which are shielded switches. I flew down to the islands in one of those birds before the groundings, woe to those innocents aboard if the driver didn’t know how to counteract false inputs.
Old 31-03-2019, 17:00   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Yeah, it is on the Runaway Stab Checklist. Been practicing it in the flight simulators for 30 years, nothing new. No idea why why these guys crashing the MAX planes did not think of it...

They appear to have been foreign trained pilots without benefit of comprehensive training. Still, why the system that appears to have to be disabled because of its common malfunction. Dollars out on this one, I’d wager.

Tags
cal, cruise, cruise ship