Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 15:31   #76

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Australian yacht sinks near Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Yes, best safety equipment depends very much on where you sail, proximity to likely rescue effort, type of vessel, sea temperature, maximum wind speed and wave height you could encounter. e.g. Southern Ocean or Equatorial ?

For some an EPIRB attached to life jacket would suffice. For others fire extinguisher, plenty of spares and extensive repair kit would be best.
What's wrong with "plenty of spares and extensive repair kit " EPIRB, liferaft, and smoke signals? How that cannot be better than only "plenty of spares and extensive repair kit "?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 16:20   #77

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What's wrong with "plenty of spares and extensive repair kit " EPIRB, liferaft, and smoke signals? How that cannot be better than only "plenty of spares and extensive repair kit "?
Maybe an EPIRB and dry suit if you are Tony Bullimore

https://www.theguardian.com/fromthea...985507,00.html

Wouldn't have saved me though.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 17:33   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Hi skipmac,

I think we agree on our own safety gear choices, yet you seem to be defending the opposite choice of another sailor who is "much more experienced". I can respect that, yet still disagree that that "more experienced sailor" has made the correct safety decision.

And my choice I hope is also clear and of course since I choose to carry a raft and EPIRB so clearly I must feel that the arguments in favor win the debate. But, does that mean that every single argument for the other side is 100% wrong? I don't think so. To me it means that both side have some valid points but the reasons for carrying a raft outweigh the reasons for not. In fact I think the arguments for carrying a raft are overwhelming but that doesn't mean that every single argument for the other side is totally BS.

Regarding the fruitless "what if" scenarios, you posed the first one,
Yes I did, but the discussion seemed to be quickly deteriorating into my what if against yours. Can I make up more wild scenarios than you? Maybe. I've got a pretty vivid imagination but Christmas is coming in a few days and we would both probably run out of time.

where the raft might cause you to give up on the fight too early. I countered with one that challenged your initial assumptions of visibility and trouble with awareness of sinking or not. The presence of these "infinite" scenarios begs for an EPIRB and raft... just in case. I doubt that the referenced more experienced guy would disagree. (economics and space are quite different arguments, as have been pointed out)

Your emergency pump sounds quite good!
However, watch out for all that annoying hydrogen and oxygen (even chlorine) from the submerged batteries..
Believe me, I'm quite aware. Beside reading about WWII submarine warfare I am an EE by training but ended up in the chemical business. Company I worked for a few years back sold chlorine compounds for pool and industrial water treatment. There was a fire at one of their warehouses that forced evacuation of about a mile radius in a major metropolitan area. That gets your attention.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 18:15   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Believe me, I'm quite aware. Beside reading about WWII submarine warfare I am an EE by training but ended up in the chemical business.
Another EE??
It's curious how many of us are floating on boats somewhere!
How much free pro help have you doled out? I truly enjoy helping fellow cruisers, but I definitely carry a larger workshop on the water than I need for myself.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 18:34   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Another EE??
It's curious how many of us are floating on boats somewhere!

Therapy to recover from the abuse we suffered to get that degree.

How much free pro help have you doled out?

Lots, both in person and on the web. However, to be fair,
I've gotten plenty of help from fellow cruisers over the years.

I truly enjoy helping fellow cruisers, but I definitely carry a larger workshop on the water than I need for myself.

Same here, on both counts. I am in a constant battle with myself to keep the tools and spares down. For electrical I've gotten it down to one large box of assorted crimp fittings, three different crimpers and assorted strippers and cutters and one larger box of misc electrical: meters, other connectors, fuses, soldering gun and iron, etc.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 17:42   #81

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

I don't want to reopen the discussions regarding liferaft-or-no-liferaft and all the other associated yacht safety and abandon ship discussions that went on around this incident.

There were several inconsistencies in the news reporting right after this happened. Primarily that the yacht was mostly intact... or not. Has anyone seen since a factual report (presumably from one of the surviving crew members) of what really happened. Did they really abandon a floating sailboat and get into a dinghy in the middle of a storm? And why?

I would love to hear the facts--as much as is known. I have googled a bit and as yet have not found an account other than the initial conflicting reports.

Any Aussies out there who might have been privy to a personal (or second-hand recap)?

Just trying to learn from the mistakes of others.

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Philippines, yacht