Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 17:53   #16

Re: Aluminum Pilothouse Sailboat for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The above sure sounds like the definition of a motor sailor to me! Nothing wrong with such a vessel, and she sure looks like she would do well down in Tasmania, where there are lots of similar boats... and weather!

Jim
We have had more typical sailboats -- the kind where we had to live down in a cave and suffer the elements in the cockpit -- so for this boat we wanted the protection and visibility of the pilothouse. When berthed or at anchor, we can enjoy seeing world at all times. That is, after all, the point of cruising. When sailing, we can stay inside to avoid the elements. Bundling up in foul-weather gear to stand watch in a cockpit during stormy weather is not for us.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 18:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
love to see more photos........
Oops. I missed this post. Is there anything you want to see in particular? I probably have a photo of it, although it might not be a very good one!
Old 30-05-2018, 18:20   #18

Pilothouse Cruiser for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
love to see more photos........
Here's a picture of the passage to the forward cabin, or at least as much as can be viewed with our gopro camera. The camera takes wide-angle photos, so the picture here is distorted. In reality, the passage and forward cabin are not narrow like they appear to be in the photo. The mattresses on the forward berth are plenty big enough for two very large adults. The doors in the foreground lead to the forward head (to port) and the shower cabin (to starboard). I'll dig up more photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fwd passage view (gopro wide).jpg
Views:	645
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	170812  
Old 30-05-2018, 18:56   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Semantics. In my opinion any sailboat with a motor is a motorsailer. Most have pilot houses made of canvas & vinyl but the smart ones have permanent structures.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 21:48   #20

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Okay, your opinion...
Old 31-05-2018, 06:49   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes semantics.

There is a continuum, no hard line, between boats truly optimized for sailing, where motoring is a necessary evil even an afterthought, and

those designed for efficient motoring, and sailing performance thus at least somewhat compromised.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 07:10   #22

The fact is that the vast majority of sailors will not leave the dock if their motor does not run & most will crank up the iron jenny when their speed drops below 4 knots or they need to head into the wind. Add a pilothouse to any sailboat & bump the motor up to one that will actually push the boat into a headwind & everyone will call it a motorsailer. In fact, just add a pilothouse to any sailboat & most will call it a motorsailer. However, for me a true motorsailer has less sail area, less draft, less rocker with a flattened aft end & the transom running into the water & is designed to slightly exceed hull speed under power. William Hand comes to mind.

Old 01-06-2018, 15:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Semantics. In my opinion any sailboat with a motor is a motorsailer. Most have pilot houses made of canvas & vinyl but the smart ones have permanent structures.
We have seen countless standard sailboats with with very elaborate canvas fabrications to enclose their cockpits. We ended up doing that with our last boat. It's really unavoidable if one wants to cruise in all conditions but doesn't have a boat designed for them. I assume that many people like having an open cockpit, but it just wasn't for us. When we started sailing we didn't have the cruising experience to anticipate all the problems with an open cockpit, and for a long time we just toughed it out thinking that sailing required being out in the elements. Then we became more experienced and were able to make an informed list of what we needed in an "ideal" boat to really enjoy cruising. At the top of that list was a strong pilothouse. We absolutely love it. Every other sailor from a typical aft-cockpit sailboat that has stepped into our pilothouse has had a positive reaction, eyes brightening, and many have said, in so many words, that they regret not have a similar boat (or our boat!). My regret is that it took us a couple previous boats to figure out the necessity for us of having a pilothouse.
Old 01-06-2018, 17:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
We have seen countless standard sailboats with with very elaborate canvas fabrications to enclose their cockpits. We ended up doing that with our last boat. It's really unavoidable if one wants to cruise in all conditions but doesn't have a boat designed for them. I assume that many people like having an open cockpit, but it just wasn't for us. When we started sailing we didn't have the cruising experience to anticipate all the problems with an open cockpit, and for a long time we just toughed it out thinking that sailing required being out in the elements. Then we became more experienced and were able to make an informed list of what we needed in an "ideal" boat to really enjoy cruising. At the top of that list was a strong pilothouse. We absolutely love it. Every other sailor from a typical aft-cockpit sailboat that has stepped into our pilothouse has had a positive reaction, eyes brightening, and many have said, in so many words, that they regret not have a similar boat (or our boat!). My regret is that it took us a couple previous boats to figure out the necessity for us of having a pilothouse.
I have to agree, it's hard to really get how great having a pilothouse is till you have one. It's kind of like the difference between a car & a motorcycle.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26   #25

You are trying to sell a great looking 240K sailboat. Your description is extremely detailed. Wouldn't it be worth spending a day and taking a high quality photo file documenting the boat. Even a quality cell phone can take some pretty good photos. As a buyer in the market, I'm baffled that you wouldn't want to show it off in an attempt to help sell it.
Elimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Or a link to the yachtworld listing.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 15:32   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Or a link to the yachtworld listing.
Doing that is not allowed by Cruisersforum.
Old 02-06-2018, 15:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elimax View Post
You are trying to sell a great looking 240K sailboat. Your description is extremely detailed. Wouldn't it be worth spending a day and taking a high quality photo file documenting the boat. Even a quality cell phone can take some pretty good photos. As a buyer in the market, I'm baffled that you wouldn't want to show it off in an attempt to help sell it.
We are not near the boat (we are about 5000 miles away), so we cannot take new photos. The need to sell the boat came suddenly, so we didn't have time to devote to taking pictures before leaving the boat (it took us two full days just to remove all the food we had aboard). That said, I have photos of different kinds taken over time. It takes quite a long time to upload each photo, but I can do it when we have wifi. Is there anything in particular you want to see?

We have an agent at the marina who has more photos. I can pass his details to anyone who is interested. Please send me a private message for that.
Old 03-06-2018, 14:35   #29

Here are some photos of the aft cabin (wide angle, so the images are somewhat wonky). The aft head is to port.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aft cabin (gopro wide).jpg
Views:	413
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	171014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft cabin looking fwd (gopro wide).jpg
Views:	400
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	171015  

Old 04-06-2018, 17:45   #30

Here are pictures looking into the heads (wide-angle photos, so a bit warped). The aft toilet uses seawater for flushing, with a freshwater sink. The aft toilet and all of the hoses are new. The forward head uses freshwater for both toilet flushing and sink.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aft head view thru door (gopro wide).jpg
Views:	424
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	171100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fwd head (gopro wide).jpg
Views:	401
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	171101  

Tags