Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14   #1

Boat: Leopard 39
Leopard / Moorings 38 / 39

I am interested in hearing from anyone with experience sailing either the new Leopard 38 or the (largely identical twin sister) the Leopard 39. I am especially interested in your general impression of the boat, its motion, its stability, and how it handles in both light and heavier winds. Any surprises either good or bad? Many thanks, Billy B.
William Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 13:05   #2

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: Leopard / Moorings 38 / 39

There is a pretty good review of the Leopard 39 in the current issue of Multihulls Magazine.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 16:00   #3

Jim,

Thank you. I will check it out.

BillyB.
William Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 19:34   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Considering both are built from the same hull, I was surprised at the price difference.

I've been on the Sunsail version a few times and like the ergonomics very much. I unfortunately can't speak to the sailing characteristics based on first hand experience, but have read good reviews of both and have talked to a few people who chartered the Sunsail (48) version and had good things to say about it.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 13:34   #5

The Leopard 39 review is in the May/June 2011 issue of Multihulls World - International Edition.
Old 12-07-2011, 14:02   #6

I'll let you know shortly! We are actually headed down this week-end to Ft. Lauderdale to pick up a long anticipated Leopard 39 - Hull #115 "Kairos". We're sailing it back up outside to Morehead City, NC. Once we are back home I'll give you some detailed impressions!

Rick
fhcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 14:21   #7

Rick:

Congratulations on the new boat! Hope you have a nice, safe sail back to Morehead. We keep our boat (C-30) in Oriental, you'll have to head down Adams Creek soon and show her off at the towndock in Oriental.
Old 12-07-2011, 14:39   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I was on a Leopard 38 in January and will be on one again in just under 2 weeks.

We enjoyed it a lot. The 39 is basically the same boat with some great changes. The few things we didn't like about the 38 are fixed in the 39 - such as the hard top bimini over the helm.

The boat handled well even in the rougher seas we had during our trip in January. Having only chartered 3 different cats, I can't say this handled that differently from the others. My only complaints are likely resovled by the hard bimini. My head kept hitting the canvas bimini that was on the one we chartered.

It's a boat we are seriously considering purchasing in the future, although by the time we are ready, I'm sure there will be new models out.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:16   #9

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)

Well, Rick, your profile shows that you have a Leopard 39. So, if you did go-ahead and get one, please update us with your past several months' experience.

My wife and I also are interested in a Leopard, (albeit, a used L40, possibly out of charter), but am interested in your findings.

Thanks,
Jon
San Francisco Bay (but soon to be West Palm Beach)
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 12:58   #10

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

We just spent a few weeks aboard our Leopard 39.. fantastic boat.. Absolutely nothing faulty in the design or layout as far as we found. A fantastic sailor even loaded down full of fuel and water.
OK, I take back the "absolutely nothing" - there was really only one design quirk that was virtually a non issue and will be easily remedied, and that was because the cockpit hardtop leans slightly to starboard and causes rain water to drop directly on one of the hatches, not a problem at all because we kept the hatch closed during a rain, but if the hatch gets opened right after a rain and the boat lists to starboard, a slight amount of water caught in the hardtop edging drops to the hatch. Should be easy enough to re-route it, but wasn't hard to just push the water off by hand to avoid the problem.
Electricals were great, the fridge/freezer was a dream and solar took care of everything.. sipped fuel like a mizer (had to motor a few times due to lack of winds and dead on headings). The owners hull was way to liveable! Side by side brushing our teeth, passing each other in the pathway.. just all around great!

It does need a few additions.. extra winch handle pocket closer to the helm winches, side bimini curtains, and why it doesn't come with safety cables across the back is beyond me?? Fiddles on the island in the galley need to be added but we do like the corian countertops. I think we'll put a cooler up front to allow just a bit easier step up to the mast, although, we did get the hang of using the bars at the front to step up, so maybe not.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 08:26   #11

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)

Thanks for the info. I saw the 39 at the Annapolis Boat Show and could see only two things that I thought needed to be added/changed: a double sink and escape hatch (I was told that escape hatches aren't required on a 39-foot boat, but it seems to me that Leopard should be concerned more with safety than regulations -- and besides, how much can it cost to add it -- we're talking a $425,000+ boat when you're done).

It sailed quite nicely during the one-hour test sail, but that was in the protected Chesapeake Bay with only a moderate amount of wind.

All-in-all, impressive.
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 08:48   #12

I first thought it should have a double sink also but it has a great drip compartment to the right of the sink.. we used that to thaw out frozen foods and place the washed dishes above in the rack. We found that that setup was very useful.

A cordless reciprocating saw and you have an escape hatch anywhere.

You must be including taxes or we got a sweet deal, if there is such a thing on new boats.
Old 16-11-2011, 17:20   #13

For those of you who have been on the L39, how is the headroom throughout the boat (I'm 6'2"). Thanks!
sloop6312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 05:38   #14

headroom in the saloon is at least 6'5", and I would say it has to be close to that in the heads..maybe an inch less. I'm 5'10" and never felt the need to duck except through doorways, but your mileage may vary. Outside, headroom was endless.
Old 20-11-2011, 10:41   #15

Boat: Island Packet 350
We take delivery on Leopard 39, Unity II, in a few weeks. We've sea trialed this or sister ships in Chesapeake light air and in 20-25 knots with stiff chop off S Florida. The boat feels powerful and quick, tacks well even in light air, and really gets moving in a breeze. The large main could be reefed early (we didn't) with no significant loss of draft, but a good reduction in weather helm. Driving hard is fun, but I have a feeling there's plenty of power with a lower center of effort. In light air, the boat feels light and handles quickly.

As to headroom, I stand 6'0" and only bumped when climbing up into the high bunk in owner cabin. Once was enough to learn to bend a bit here. Everywhere else, loads of room.

Watch out for those waterway bridges though. On paper there's clearance, but not much.

David N

Tags
mooring, leopard