Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2011, 10:02   #1

Any Feedback on Admiral 38 ?

Looking to purchase admiral 38, but do not know alot about them. Was keen on Leopard but looking at alternatives.
loowigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 17:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Any feedback on Admiral 38

Suggest an internet search on Admiral - they are out of business now. Also look for owners reports - e.g. Oceans Dream an admiral 40. Suggest the same with Leopard. Personally - I would choose the leopard, but its your money.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 08:51   #3

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran

The early Admirals were good and their owners loved them, the business got into financial trouble and corners were cut for the last few boats. (I think all 40's).
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 18:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Admiral 38 catamaran

I purchased a new Admiral 38 in 2005 which was launched in Aug 2006. I sailed the boat, Makana, with my wife and young daughter from Africa to Maine and have enjoyed living aboard and cruising. While no boat will fullfill every need the 38 has come close for us. It's a well made vessel which sails well and has carried us safely across the south atlantic during winter in rough seas as well as back and fourth several times from the Bahamas to Maine. We had the opportunity to be at the factory every day for three months while the boat was being finished and were able to see the construction process first hand which was impressive. We've been very happy with our boat and all the Admiral owners we've met have had similar responses, with the exception being boats built during the last few years after Admiral moved its factory out of Cape Town and increased production building both the 38 & 40. Please feel free to email me with any particular questions you may have, thanks.
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29   #5

Hi Dimitri,

Look at Spirited 380. I am going to build it for me. But as I am professional furniture maker and have a lot of space and very good machinery I think I can set up a small boatyard. If you are in Europe - Black Sea, ask.
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 04:16   #6

Boat: Maverick 400 - 12m - Cosmoledo
Re: Any Feedback on Admiral 38 ?

Try the Maverick 400. I have chatted to a couple of Admiral owners and they are both trying to upgrade to one of these. I own one and you can't compare the space or performance.
Cosmoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 18:26   #7
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Any Feedback on Admiral 38 ?

We won't comment on the Admiral in particular as all of our 'knowledge' there was heresay. If, however, you're open to other vessels we are happy to share some quick thoughts after just completing a long (~5yrs) and very successful purchase process...

Take your time in your search. You may be amazed how your priorities will move as you learn more and more about what's available.

Sail as many potentially-suitable vessels as possible. There are lots of charter cats ~38' size. Vendors will also be eager to offer test sails; take advantage of those offers and in that process you will both learn from other buyers and more about what you like.

Where are you located? Currency movements (yours vis-a-vis your vessel source) can be a very relevant factor in purchasing a vessel, at least in terms of assessing relative value.

Also very relevant is the new vs second-hand question. If you are prepared to look second-hand, there are some real bargains out there. A good surveyor -- A supplementary appraisal by a professional delivery skipper is also a good idea -- should identify potential problems...and second-hand vessels often include a range of valuable owner-added options.

A pool -- Pardon the pun! -- of other owners of the same vessel can also be a real asset looking ahead.

Good luck in your search!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote