Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 08:44   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Scotland to Canada

I had a look at the charts and land to land distances do not seem to be more than 500 miles, with the longest open water the patch between Groenland and Canada.

HOWEVER given the nature there, it is more important to measure port to port, as otherwise one could end up in a place covered in ice and next gas pump hundreds of miles away. So you must provide the port names to make any judgement about the distances actually to be covered. I am also afraid that some short(-er) tracks may be at times not possible - not sure of this but I mean the ice / fog situation.

As for the rib, I am shell shocked. I have seen the ribs that move hashish from Maroco to Spain - these are normally 4+ o/b motors. They move drugs but you may need this load capacity for your fuel (I think, no?)

I have ridden a two outboard support rib at the start of a big regatta. That one was 2xYamaha that (I may be wrong) seemed 300hp+ each. The rib was maybe 7 or 8 meters long. I remember asking and hearing that our range was about 200 miles. We had maybe 8 people onboard. Kick them out, place extra fuel tanks.

I did not know the waters up there can be crossed in a 5.5 meter rib with a single outboard of only 90hp. I am more used to this kind of craft being used as tenders on bigger yachts.

Can you link me to stories of those people who did it before? It must be an interesting read. Thanks.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 13:17   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam blount View Post
Prestige 5500. Center console. Open
This isn't a suitable boat for the planned voyage. Put it is a container and ship it. You can't carry sufficient fuel and the rib is too small and exposed for freezing temperature.

Google Earth suggests Reykjavik to Nuuk is 1200 NM.

Alan's first rib was a 7.4m Ribtec with a Yamaha 165hp inboard diesel with a stern drive. Huge extra fuel tanks were fitted totalling 350 litres and they still ran out of fuel because the only fuel in southern Greenland is at the Danish military port which is some way up the West Coast. The distance to iceland is much further than you think and the temperature is freezing btw.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribtec.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	152485  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 13:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There was one other crossing of the Atlantic, USA to Irleand, Enda O'Coineen did it in 1985 in a Humber 5.2m rib with a 40 hp Suzuki and a sail which took about 4 weeks. He wore a wetsuit which gave him terrible sores after the first week.

I met him once for breakfast, nice chap but barking mad for doing this a second time after having to turn back on the first trip.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ENDA20RIB.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	152486  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 15:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There was one other crossing of the Atlantic, USA to Irleand, Enda O'Coineen did it in 1985 in a Humber 5.2m rib with a 40 hp Suzuki and a sail which took about 4 weeks. He wore a wetsuit which gave him terrible sores after the first week.

I met him once for breakfast, nice chap but barking mad for doing this a second time after having to turn back on the first trip.

Pete
And here be his book which i used to have years ago, no idea where it is now but it was a hell of a funny read, and probably informative for the OP's venture....

The Unsinkable Kilcullen - Across the Atlantic By Inflatable and Other Ways to Get Wet

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...at%3D100200049

And just a little of topic, Enda is still out there mucking around in boats (and getting in to trouble), this time in the 2016-2017 Vendee Globe, poor bugger lost his mast and engine in the deep south, still he managed to jury rig a sail and make back to safety, not bad at all for a 60 year old single hander in those waters

Irish skipper Enda O'Coineen limps into Dunedin on broken yacht | Stuff.co.nz

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 04:47   #20
QBF

Although much larger than one the OP stated, last year a No Limit Ships 1550 (15.5 meters) RIB crossed the Atlantic from the Netherlands to Florida on its own bottom via the northern island route.

No Limit Ships - 1550

QBF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, Scotland