Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 15:23   #1

Miami,Fl to Ft Walton,Fl

Hey guys I'm single handling a 26 Columbia MKII 4.5 feet draft. On my way to Ft.Walton Fl. From Miami Fl. I've already made it to Brendenton Fl. Tomorrow I will head north on the ICW I was on the outside the past 2days and it was brutal. Any advice on anchorages along the way will be nice. Also if you guys got any input on the route will be grately appreciate it. Thanks Alex. Here's a picture of Brendenton anchorage.
tropikalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 16:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Miami,Fl to Ft Walton,Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropikalsurfer View Post
Hey guys I'm single handling a 26 Columbia MKII 4.5 feet draft. On my way to Ft.Walton Fl. From Miami Fl. I've already made it to Brendenton Fl. Tomorrow I will head north on the ICW I was on the outside the past 2days and it was brutal. Any advice on anchorages along the way will be nice. Also if you guys got any input on the route will be grately appreciate it. Thanks Alex. Here's a picture of Brendenton anchorage.
Do you have a coastal Cruising Guide on your boat?

Example is "Waterway Guide."

It also has online resources.
_________

You can find recommended anchorages in the official NOAA Coast Pilot. It is free download from the NOAA site. It is updated frequently.

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...lot/index.html

Here is the volume you need for that area:
https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...lot/index.html

_______

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 16:12   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Not sure where Brendenton, Florida is. If you are in Bradenton, Florida you are getting close to the end of where you can stay inside for a while. While I get your point that outside can be rough that is not always the case; in fact as a rule it is quite nice. The key factor in any passage with multiple stops is your boat speed. By that I mean not your max hull speed but a realistic speed based on the expected wind speed. I have always anchored at Egmont Key and then gone outside to Anclote Key, or the little sandbar just North of it to anchor. You can make that trip on the inside, but I never have and am not sure about the air draft needed. After that is is outside for quite some time. Crystal River is a possible stop but it is a long way from the Gulf to the anchorage in the river. Cedar Key is a longer trip but may the anchorage is easier (and quicker) to get to. St. Marks is the next real stop, but there are several places like Shell Point that are very close by. Dog Island is about 20 miles from there and you can duck back inside with plenty of anchorages. You really go back inside at Apalachicola all the way to Ft. Walton, which I have never done, but again air draft may be an issue. Key is to watch the weather.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 17:12   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

The inside, gulf intracoastal waterway, ends a few miles north of you in Clearwater. You will be best to go outside at Tampa Bay and head straight to Carabelle or Port St Joe, unless weather is good in which case head directly to Ft Walton. Watch the predicted winds here

https://www.windguru.cz/map/?lat=50....1171875&zoom=5

Go to Maps/Forecast then use the slider for future prediction
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:51   #5

Boat: Pearson

You will be outside from tampa. Cedar key at the mouth of the swannee river is a spot to stop. Be very careful on your depth and stay centered on the channels, opt for high tide, dont attempt it at night. There are provisions there. From there shoot for carrabelle , might be easier to goto the west side of dog island as the east side has shoals and after the recent tropical storm shoals change, dont take short cuts, you can find 3-4’ of water 5 miles out. You can take the Icw from applachola to ft walton probably 3-4 days . Appalachicola and panama city are places for supplies fuel. Or stay on outside to destin inlet. If you take Icw route stay in the center of the channels, all markers arent accurate. Dont travel at night due to large barges and tugs. Overnight anchoring is tricky to find the depth and get out of the channel but doable. You may be faced with sw winds.wfw, wait for weather, good luck.😎🍸
Old 31-05-2018, 12:38   #6

Go up the ICW to Caladesi island fl, the marina (state park) there is quite nice, watch your depth... wait on the weather window and pop out at Hurricane Pass and head north to the pass at St.George -Dog Island. If you leave early you will be well pass the crab-trap obstacle course by night fall. Been a few years since I did this one so check your charts. Next really shallow spot will be Lake Winico after your back inside the ICW.
Scubableu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 21:41   #7

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Watch West Tampa 42036 Buoy. If forecast is less than 10 knots and less than 2 feet waves for your intended crossing then go. Don’t go until these conditions exist. Have crossed twice in these conditions motor sailing and it was pleasant.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:24   #8

OOPS..... Owned and maintained by National Data Buoy Center
3-meter discus buoy
ARES payload
28.501 N 84.516 W (28°30'3" N 84°30'56" W)

Site elevation: sea level
Air temp height: 4 m above site elevation
Anemometer height: 5 m above site elevation
Barometer elevation: sea level
Sea temp depth: 0.6 m below water line
Water depth: 49.7 m
Watch circle radius: 129 yards

Station 42036 stopped transmitting after 10Z 11/24/2017. This buoy will be restored to service when it can be worked into the schedule. When the service date is known, it will be posted on the Weekly Maintenance Report.
Scubableu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:33   #9

Ok guys here's and update.On Saturday at 7am I headed due west out of Tampa bay 56 miles then I shot s straigh b line to the west end of dog Island. I sailed 34 hours a crossed the gulf it was an amazing sail. Following seas sustained 12 knots gusting at 17. Now here at Carabelle heading west on ICW tomorrow morning.Thanks for all the help. Will update on the entire trip when I'm home.
tropikalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 14:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropikalsurfer View Post
Ok guys here's and update.On Saturday at 7am I headed due west out of Tampa bay 56 miles then I shot s straigh b line to the west end of dog Island. I sailed 34 hours a crossed the gulf it was an amazing sail. Following seas sustained 12 knots gusting at 17. Now here at Carabelle heading west on ICW tomorrow morning.Thanks for all the help. Will update on the entire trip when I'm home.

Always nice to hear or read an after action report that shows response to CF Members suggestions, personal accomplishment, safe voyage, and someone (OP) enjoyed the sailing experience.

Bravo!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami