Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 07:43   #1

Key West to Fort Walton Fl

The boat is an Allied Mistress 39, and looking for a captain to make this trip. Trip to begin around in early June, 2014. Open to ideas about how to get the trip done, but experienced owner would like to come along. Also open to one additional unpaid crew member for the trip, if someone would like to come along for the ride, at above said captain's approval.

PM me with cost estimate and any questions.
Old 29-05-2014, 10:36   #2

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40
Re: Key West to Fort Walton Fl

That should be a lovely trip with the prevailing winds. Make a few enjoyable stops along the way. I did this the opposite direction and the wind was on the nose most of the time.
Old 29-05-2014, 11:38   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

While it is possible to sail directly from Key West to Ft. Walton most folks don't do that. It would be quite possible to spend a month or more stopping at many interesting spots along the way. You may want to provide a time frame and how hard you want to push since you are the owner.

As an example you could sail directly to Ft. Myers from Key West, or you could maybe stop at Marathon, Shark River, and then on to Ft. Myers. The first would certainly not be a hard passage, but would be hard to do without sailing at night. The next would be basically easy day sailing from one anchorage to the next. Both are reasonable options but someone will have to figure out which one you want to do.
Old 29-05-2014, 12:30   #4

Dear Let's Get Sailing,

Hi, I am in New Orleans and just recently completed my ASA 101 and 103 in Pensacola, Florida with Captain Rick Cumby. He expressed interest in delivering your boat with me along as crew.

Would you like to contact me about his fees and your dates?

I wish you well and hope to hear from you.

Calends
Old 02-06-2014, 02:14   #5

What is your mast height. Is it 49'-6" plus vhf antenna? The Bridge at Destin Pass shows 49' and Navarre and Brooks Bridges show 50'. Tides+- 1'.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsailorbob View Post
What is your mast height. Is it 49'-6" plus vhf antenna? The Bridge at Destin Pass shows 49' and Navarre and Brooks Bridges show 50'. Tides+- 1'.

Let's just say it's around that.

The Destin Pass Bridge is often reported to be closer to 48' and change, so I wouldn't risk that route. Probably the only safe and reasonable way in is via Panama City Beach and up the canal from there to FWB. I believe the bridge height (Mid Bay Bridge) that way is 65'.
Old 03-06-2014, 16:22   #7

Hello,
I am agreeing with a few comments relative to more boat specs/equipment info. I'm a 100 ton licensed captain in neighboring Santa Rosa Beach. Yachting industry background since 1981...specifically sail.

Happy to email credentials if you're still trying to find someone.

-Greg.
Old 03-06-2014, 17:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
While it is possible to sail directly from Key West to Ft. Walton most folks don't do that. It would be quite possible to spend a month or more stopping at many interesting spots along the way. You may want to provide a time frame and how hard you want to push since you are the owner.

As an example you could sail directly to Ft. Myers from Key West, or you could maybe stop at Marathon, Shark River, and then on to Ft. Myers. The first would certainly not be a hard passage, but would be hard to do without sailing at night. The next would be basically easy day sailing from one anchorage to the next. Both are reasonable options but someone will have to figure out which one you want to do.
Absolutely. I have the time, but I'm subject to crew constraints.

Tags
key west