Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 12:16   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Need weather guru adviser during passage

A thought: if you are not prepared to do your own wx analysis, what is your plan if your communications should break down? That does happen, you know, even in this connected world of hi tech solutions!

If you are prepared, then you do not need outside help.

Jim
Old 13-01-2018, 12:23   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need weather guru adviser during passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A thought: if you are not prepared to do your own wx analysis, what is your plan if your communications should break down? That does happen, you know, even in this connected world of hi tech solutions!

If you are prepared, then you do not need outside help.

Jim
That's when they hit the EPIRB..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 13:25   #18

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Could it be you are just looking for verification of your analyses/conclusions.
Maybe you could delay your trip until you have a better grasp of Predictwind?
There are a lot of predictwind youtube vids out there.
Maybe even buddy up on some other crusiers that might be leaving around that time and try to keep in contact vie radio or email. There might be a good way to get positive responses

ie. Anyone leaving for Hawaii around (date) from (location)? mention what you know, first timer, not real confident in using weather router could use guidance.

good luck
shiver my timbers, mate
Old 13-01-2018, 13:35   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's nothing wrong with asking for help WX-routing, and someone without the study or experience may think that the subject is too esoteric to handle by himself. And in fact, it can be quite esoteric if you want to really dig into it. But basic, good-enough routing is pretty easy, and I suggest that the OP at least look into that, perhaps as a backup to his outside assistance.

Weather on the way to Hawaii is pretty simple:
* Where is the Pacific High? Where is it going? Where is the SE ridge of the high?
* Are there any low-pressure systems that will scramble the general flow or cause gale conditions?
* Are there any developing hurricanes?

Once you get south of the Pac High, you just point the boat at Hawaii and watch for hurricanes. The only other difficulty is tradewinds squalls, and no shore-based forecast will be useful with those.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 13:58   #20

Boat: B31 Sirene

Dont you have a family member that can provide the weather service? I did exatly that for my brother some years ago, when he sailed from Portugal to Greece in april. Weather in the MED in april is terrible so he needed daily GRIB files that I provided in emails on a daily basis
hrsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 15:25   #21

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekoerner View Post
Yes Robert, I'm looking for a new friend to help with weather routing. If that's not you, I don't really see much purpose in your posting. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.
Well Steve, after this post I doubt you will get ANY friends to assist you. Wow.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:24   #22

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

I figured an apology would be posted.

I sincerely hope that my recent experience is an anomaly. In the past 12 months I have had three encounters of serious selfishness and outright dishonesty. One where $9K in damages was involved.

All three people were less than 35 yrs old. One was a CF member. I am tempted to conclude that these younger people do not understand fairness and ethics.

OR maybe the idea of a win-win deal is now outdated?

Please tell me I am wrong.

Chris
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:32   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need weather guru adviser during passage

You could try Sailing Anarchy.com..
A much friendlier bunch there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:46   #24

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
I figured an apology would be posted.

I sincerely hope that my recent experience is an anomaly. In the past 12 months I have had three encounters of serious selfishness and outright dishonesty. One where $9K in damages was involved.

All three people were less than 35 yrs old. One was a CF member. I am tempted to conclude that these younger people do not understand fairness and ethics.

OR maybe the idea of a win-win deal is now outdated?

Please tell me I am wrong.

Chris
Interesting assumption the OP is under 35. Evidence?

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:54   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekoerner View Post

I'm hoping to find an advisor with just the right set of qualifications. It needs to be someone who has been across oceans (perferrable to HI) many times. It needs to a guy or gal that really digs sailing weather and who already has all the right computer tools at his disposal.
Welcome to CF Steve!
There is nothing wrong with your request and I applaud your mindset to use all resources for a safe passage.

I have actually done this many times to help fellow sailors freely benefit from my offshore experience and a lifetime study of weather systems.

Meteorology is a science of variables and confidence levels (even amongst professionals) can vary dramatically when additional data of upper levels, currents and sheer effects are factored in.
The best solution is just as you suggest.

Provide your daily local weather reports to be analysed shore side by an experienced sailor with a deep understanding of the variables and the Met resources to give you the trending directions.

This foresight and advice usually helps you to become proactive in making minor course changes towards a more comfortable passage.

For the Advisor, it is a good exercise in study and analysis that can be verified enroute to help some fellow sailors.

Nothing wrong with that!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 18:55   #26

Suggest you do a basic course on Meteorology and Marine Forecasts.

Learn to interpret the forecasts, and keep your own logged observations of pressure, wind speed and direction and sea state - you relate these and the changes you have logged and compare to the synopsis and forecast

There are are no shortage of Weather reports broadcast.

Forecasts are a skilled best guess at what a meteorologists thinks is going to happen based on many plotted present weather observations on a synoptic chart coupled the changes since the last synoptic chart (usually either 4 or 6 hourly)

You should learn to put the lot together (forecasts and your observations) as an essential skill of good seamanship and ocean sailing -

One day your life may depend on it if you are unlucky.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 23:31   #27

Boat: 26' O Day 1985

I'm getting away a bit from the original question posted , but please allow me to show my total ignorance in this matter. I coastal, day sail. I'm about 60 years of age and just started sailing about 5 years ago. My question is this, I understand how important it is to get a weather forecast and several days outlook " guess" of what to expect before you depart for HI, for a more or less 20 day trip. Here's what I don't get, other than knowing you are going to get into bad weather and batten the hatches, reef the main and tie down or remove the things on deck, what good will everyday forecast really do? You're on a sailboat. You can't out run anything, and you can't turn around and go back. Other than to know you're about to get pounded, what real options do you really have?
Old 14-01-2018, 02:33   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambama View Post
You can't out run anything, and you can't turn around and go back. Other than to know you're about to get pounded, what real options do you really have?
Think of it like moving along a chessboard where some circular influences in weather will either enhance or impede your progress.

The forecasts have uncertainty, whereas your own local observations should be precise.

By analyzing the differences between previous forecasts and your own reality for the same time period (prognosis vs synopsis) you are able to see if that low pressure (two to three days away).... is actually tracking and trending further north of your track.

You are sometimes comparing those changes/differences at upper atmosphere levels (500mb) as they have steering influences on surface conditions.

This helps you to decide if a higher or lower course track is worth considering for the comfort of your crew..

This is only analysis on one level as there are also climatologic analysis of that region for seasonal stability.

The more you can understand and envision the weather dynamics for your region, the better prepared you are to make decisions that will minimize bad weather in your area.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 04:16   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
........ My question is this, I understand how important it is to get a weather forecast and several days outlook " guess" of what to expect before you depart for HI, for a more or less 20 day trip. Here's what I don't get, other than knowing you are going to get into bad weather and batten the hatches, reef the main and tie down or remove the things on deck, what good will everyday forecast really do? You're on a sailboat. You can't out run anything, and you can't turn around and go back. Other than to know you're about to get pounded, what real options do you really have?
There are tactical moves you can make. An example on the Hawaii run would be the development of a hurricane 7 days after you left. No sign of this would have been on the forecasts prior to departure. You are in the tradewinds and can't turn back. You could heave-to and sit out a day or two letting the storm pass in front of you. A much better chance than blindly sailing into it's path.
Old 14-01-2018, 06:09   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I'm getting away a bit from the original question posted , but please allow me to show my total ignorance in this matter. I coastal, day sail. I'm about 60 years of age and just started sailing about 5 years ago. My question is this, I understand how important it is to get a weather forecast and several days outlook " guess" of what to expect before you depart for HI, for a more or less 20 day trip. Here's what I don't get, other than knowing you are going to get into bad weather and batten the hatches, reef the main and tie down or remove the things on deck, what good will everyday forecast really do? You're on a sailboat. You can't out run anything, and you can't turn around and go back. Other than to know you're about to get pounded, what real options do you really have?
You don't understand weather routing, then. There is a LOT you can do to stay on the right side of weather systems as they form and move through. It's not just a question of staying out of storms, it's also a question of getting to where winds are favorable.

To the OP: listen to Pelagic and don't pay attention to the unfriendly comments in here, for which I apologize. Your request is absolutely normal, and you should be able to find someone who will enjoy participating in your voyage from land. I would gladly do it myself - it would be great fun - but my weather skills are not as good as those of some others on here.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, weather