Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 15:35   #31

Boat: CT 42 Mermaid Center Cockpit
Re: CT Owner Group

the companion way slider, because it is covered by the fiberglass cap you cant get to the back (forward end) of it to take the stopping board off. i could probably use a sawzall with a long blade and split the thing but was hoping that i missed something? i even thought of taking the stainless slides off, but cant get to two of the screws covered by the companionway hatch...
Gray Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 15:42   #32

yeah, my ct44 was the same way. is the stopper board screwed on and plugged? It's the forward wide trim board right? I never had to remove mine, but remember puzzling over how. They had to put it together, but maybe you have to remove all 3 of the companionway wood pieces!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:00   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

BEFORE you screw up a perfectly good boat, please go to leakyteakyyachtclub group in yahoo and present your dilemma so folks who have done this with these boats can let you know how they did it without killinhg the boats.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 11:58   #34

Boat: William Garden CT 41 Ta Chaio

Hi Bill, I have a CT 43 and it is definitely a complete restore. I have it listed for sale on here, but my heart tells me otherwise. In order to financially be able to both live, and fix this boat, I have resorted to selling sails and canvas. Most of which are on e bay. I am not asking you to buy any of my items, however I would like some input from you on your restoration. A CT owners group is a good idea...have you thought of making one on facebook? or similar site? Lou
BSV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 09:02   #35

Hi Don, Count me in! As a CT 43 owner/restorer, I find that I am in need of blueprints/schematics/original layout etc. I have found some on the net, but they are a bit hard to read and not much help.

Can anyone out there help?

Lou
Old 24-07-2012, 09:21   #36

have you tried the leaky teaky yacht club group at yahoo--they have line drawings of every formosa and ct and some hardin....
Old 24-07-2012, 09:35   #37

Thanks for the heads up. I will check them now. Lou
Old 24-07-2012, 09:45   #38

they are good folks--email to the group and someone will find the email and an answer.

LeakyTeakyYachtClub@yahoogroups.com <LeakyTeakyYachtClub@yahoogroups.com>
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22   #39

I am looking at buying a CT 47 and had some questions someone might be able to answer. What is the connection with the C&C sheer line marker? Also I am looking at a fiberglass deck model but wanted to know if the deck was solid laminate at all the deck/through deck fittings? Was the deck basal cored?
Many thanks
on-my-way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05   #40

Boat: CT47 Ketch

I can answer 1 of 2.

I have been thru the deck several times now on my CT47. That is I cut a hole in it several times, not that it ever got weak or I fell thru!. Mine is about 1/4 inch glass, 3/4 inch foam and then another 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch glass. The foam is closed out at the hull to deck joint. Look for leaks here if you have teak, the deck screws go right thru about 1/2 inch glass on mine. (all removed, but I digress).

Occasionally I hit a wooden stringer in the deck foam. I believe that these were stiffeners, probably used near known deck fittings, like my boat has little towers on deck for the stanchion mounts. So there is probably also wood surrounding the hatch areas for instance, stiffening the area to assist in hinge mounting, etc. I did also hit stringers out in the middle of areas without any particular need for wood, so I think they may run every foot or something like that. My forward head had no vent hatch, and this was a big improvement to put in a 12 inch square hatch to allow light in and air out of the head! I did not lose deck stiffness here per my observation, I am close to 180 pounds.

The wood used for stringers is not teak, not mahogany, not balsa as some have stated. It seems close to something that I have seen labeled afrimosia. I have used this stuff as a teak substitute, it can get punky after 20 plus years, but my deck made it 30 years before I pulled the teak and filled hopefully all 4000 holes.

Ocassionally my deck actually got water into it (the damn screw holes) as I worked removing teak. I just let it dry naturally per hot dry and sunny days in California. The way the water would go to a low spot horizontally supports the hard wood stringer supposition. The stringers are probably thwartships to help support the deck crown

If your deck is like mine, you can go ahead and fix things as you wish, the deck is well done.

I can guess at number 2

C&C made nice gracefull 45s and 48s. but they were a bit more fine entried (especially in the stern) with deeper fin keels. There is also a baltic 46 where I have seen the hull referred to as C&C. The baltic 46 seemed to have a flatter bottom and a snubbed out stern, like the CT. So one can suppose that C&C stuck a piece of plywood in the 48 mold and did the Baltic and the shorter CTs, and then they added on a bit to allow the CT49 classic transom, but we have to find a guy from the yard to actually know what happened. I do not believe that the sheerline marker can be an accident or rip off. The flatter bottom can actually be a keel attachment/encapsulation mod on the fly in taiwan. (or Sweden?)

I tell people that the hull is a baltic 46 one off imitation with a sheel keel. The hull will exceed 9 knots with 15 to work with, it is certainly in the mid to high performer range as cruising vessels go. my hull is actually about 46 foot 11 inches of fiberglass. I have also seen this number in documentation. Mine drew more than 6 foot per the water line paint, more like 6 foot 8, but she is lighter now with steel tanks removed, the teak gone, and more like 6 foot 3.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, on-my-way.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07   #42

Many thanks for the info. Have you determined if the deck is solid glass at all the original deck fittings (stanchion mounts, winches, genoa tracks, etc..)?
on-my-way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 14:09   #43

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Any knowledge of the CT Mermaid Ketch, would be interested in all opinions.....Thanks
svsweetliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 15:15   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

CT42 - Mermaid
“... According to the builder's brochure, this is a 'modernized' version of the CT-41 which was, in turn, based on the William Garden designed SEA WOLF ...”
CT-42 (MERMAID) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 11:36   #45

Boat: CT47 Ketch
Talking Re: CT Owner Group

CT47-49 Blueprint, line drawing!!! Moved to Michigan, and while sorting thru an unbelieveable pile of stuff, actually found a blueprint of a CT 47. I believe that I successfully stole this from a representative of North Sails, while he was measuring me for a sail, but I digress.
This blue print is labeled 24 Nov 1979, and also CT-47-001. It is for the ketch center cockpit, and actualy has pencil sketching showing the classic transom, making it a CT-49 blueprint as well. There are various white outs and pencil sketches here and there, making this very much a work in progress.
Alas this is the standard rig, the mizzen is too tall and the main too short to actually be my boat, BUT if anybody out there needs and exact yard measurement on the standard ketch, I could help out by reading this terrible quality, fading and barely holding together but never the less real document from the yard. DB 121212 our lucky day!
This is line drawing, mizzen and main rigging, and top down interior. cabinetry, lockers, berths...
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote

« Pushing the budget | - »