Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 05:33   #1

Boat: 1987 C&C 44
Xantrex Truecharge 2 not charging

We have a fairly new Xantrex Truecharge 2 60A charger . It was working fine up until a few days ago . We removed our old AGM batteries and replaced them with the same size AGM batteries , hooked everything up the same way . The charger panel readout states that it is charging at <5 and all the other readouts are normal with no flashing fault lights . I have checked all the fuses in the unit and in the cabling. I have shut the unit down and disconnected the AC and DC connections and rebooted .I have tried charging from my the shore power connection and our Honda generator . Nothing has worked . I have contacted the manufacturer ,they suggested shutting it down and rebooting as I have already done . We are located in Curacao , and there doesn't appear to be any local technicians available here . Has anybody had a similar problem and how did you fix it ?
magique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 00:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Xantrex Truecharge 2 not charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by magique View Post
We have a fairly new Xantrex Truecharge 2 60A charger . It was working fine up until a few days ago . We removed our old AGM batteries and replaced them with the same size AGM batteries , hooked everything up the same way . The charger panel readout states that it is charging at <5 and all the other readouts are normal with no flashing fault lights . I have checked all the fuses in the unit and in the cabling. I have shut the unit down and disconnected the AC and DC connections and rebooted .I have tried charging from my the shore power connection and our Honda generator . Nothing has worked . I have contacted the manufacturer ,they suggested shutting it down and rebooting as I have already done . We are located in Curacao , and there doesn't appear to be any local technicians available here . Has anybody had a similar problem and how did you fix it ?
If memory serves me correctly, the charger qualifies each bat in the system, and if the 1st bat doesn't qualify then the charger goes into fault mode..

The requirements are that the bats be at a minimum of 100 amp.hr. So If bat #1 is lowly discharged then the charger might not return a qualify.

Also make sure all of the ground cables are connected, one for each bat, as well as the case ground.

If after you put a volt meter to each bat (after being disconnected, and the minimum V-bat voltage is 12.6 or more) and it still doesn't work.

Try switching the charge leads from charger #1 to #2 bat.

If all else fails try connecting one bat at a time.......

So Charger # 1 to bat # 1, nothing connected to charger#2, or bat #2

Then charger #1 to bat #2, nothing connected to charger #2, or bat #1.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:59   #3

Boat: H36
I had the same problem. Mine was under warranty and they replaced it. Next one had the same problem, they replaced it. The third one works. Sounds like good deal until you consider I had to pay out bound freight twice and buy another smaller charger to get me through the 4 week turnaround each time. They have to receive and test defective unit before they will send you a replacement.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 16:04   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Zantrex is crap. My one year old inverter charger just crapped out. It's only had 6 months' use. They're replacing it with a newer (but not necessarily better ) model. My old one crapped out too. I'm trying to get away from Zantrex but since it's on warranty I'll have to take what they give me. I got rid of my Zantrex 2000 monitor. It failed too.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:19   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The boat yard where I'm at took the Xantrex apart to check it and take some photos to send to Zantrex. It had physically fallen apart, a circuit board fell off, and stuff from the case (it looked like cardboard) had got into the fan too. All this from sitting on the boat for 6 months in FL. It was working when the boat was hauled last May.
Old 27-05-2013, 10:52   #6

Boat: 1987 C&C 44

Well they did honor the warranty and replaced my charger ,it's working fine
magique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51   #7

I have installed about 40 true charge 2's from 20-60a. in about 20 different boats... some are on their 3rd one in under 2 years. total junk. I stopped installing them a year ago and moved to the promarier ProNautic without problems so far
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 16:52   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Here on the Rio Dulce at my off grid house...newish Xantrex TrueCharge2 40a, only actually used about 6 times (good solar install) just crapped out, dead as brick, no status lights no nothing. Zero decent info on troubleshooting/repair online. Fook.

(By contrast, the old Heart Interface unit on my boat is ancient and has never skipped a beat. Big clunky thing you could actually open up and work on too).

Any techs out there who can assist w some remote troubleshooting (annonamously, for a fee of course)?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 18:00   #9

I have replaced a lot of dead true charge 2's. our local store stopping selling them because they had so many issues.

you really need a volt meter and ideally a clamp meter to see if yours is working or not. (or a battery monitor on boat)

I see this is an old thread I already replied too once LOL...
Old 15-11-2017, 18:58   #10

Boat: CORESOUND 17

what about the older one. The discontinued version. I have one in a boat I bought but have never used it. I am replacing the wiring the boat. I called and ask about the older vs the new they said the redesign was due to incress metal cost they went to plastic case and cheaper heat sinks internally that mostly the same just cost reduction design
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 21:29   #11

the old yellow ones are great. they are outlasting the new ones by a long shot.
Old 15-11-2017, 21:43   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I have an old yellow one (20 A)
Still works, although I only plugh the boat into shorepower in the middle of winter.
Solar keeps my boat healthy about ten months of the year.

Good so far (knock on ...well, fiberglass).

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post
what about the older one. The discontinued version. I have one in a boat I bought but have never used it. I am replacing the wiring the boat. I called and ask about the older vs the new they said the redesign was due to incress metal cost they went to plastic case and cheaper heat sinks internally that mostly the same just cost reduction design
I had an old one (bigger yellow case) for years, no problems...until the lightening strike toasted it to well done. [emoji30]
Old 16-11-2017, 04:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I have replaced a lot of dead true charge 2's. our local store stopping selling them because they had so many issues.

you really need a volt meter and ideally a clamp meter to see if yours is working or not. (or a battery monitor on boat)

I see this is an old thread I already replied too once LOL...
Mine is dead as a door nail for sure, tested AC voltage in, DC voltage at lugs, and internal fuses. All good. Tested for output w clamp-on meter....nada. No lights on panel. RIP...actually dont...hopefully some Xantrex exec will be tormented in Hell for producing such crap.

Hoping for a good sunny day today.
Old 16-11-2017, 07:52   #15

Anybody ever open up one of these TrueCharge2's?

I have all the obvious screws out to remove the plastic shell and it is loose, but something non-obvious is still holding it partially in place.

?

Tags
charging