Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08   #61
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Wind Gen Excess to Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I believe what I wrote is precisely correct. I never mentioned the charger sinking current from the battery because that is not needed in this application. (The charging current is another matter: it is either shunted to a sink or interrupted.) The current sink is not required for the battery because the voltage will always drop when the charging current is removed - down to approx. 12.5V once the electrolyte reaches equilibrium. And no harm is done to the battery as the voltage drops through the range of 14.2V to 13.5V. Thus stable regulation is accomplished without a sink.

Personally, without going back and trying to nit-pick your posts, I see no problem with your accuracy. But sometimes your attempts to get things precisely correct are more confusing than enlightening. Your discussion, including the current sink and the 'stiffness" of the voltage source, is appropriate for a discussion of generalized regulator design with electronics techs and engineers, but less so a group of cruisers.
What I was trying to do was explain how multiple charge sources can be left connected together. ( Yes there are provisos). what I was trying to challenge is the widespread mis-undestanding of the interaction between chargers and batteries. or that charging sources "fight each other". etc etc

not to nit pick but

"Thus stable regulation is accomplished without a sink.". As I pointed out in my case study , its not really regulation at all, as regulation would actively seek to maintain the voltage , whereas a charger can't.

I shall return to my current design on the bench and try to stay out of non-tech talk threads.

dave
Old 12-04-2012, 13:07   #62

Boat: Tayana 52, AC
Re: Wind Gen Excess to Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I just appreciate that members take the time and effort to educate the like of me.
Not a matter of who is right or wrong, but gives us an inkling on how all the electrickery works, and points me in the right direction to do more research, and more importantly, will let me ask the right questions when I come to hand over my hard earned cash to the likes of Blue Sky
Cheers and thanks
I agree. I too appreciate the time and effort, and I have learned a lot. Keep the info coming as you see fit, Dave.

"Your discussion, including the current sink and the 'stiffness" of the voltage source, is appropriate for a discussion of generalized regulator design with electronics techs and engineers, but less so a group of cruisers."

Please refrain from speaking for others. If people are not interested in the detailed information, they need not read.

Thanks,
Gordon
gscriba is offline   Reply With Quote