Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What Battery Monitor system do you run?
Basic Amp and Volt gauges 42 20.29%
Link 10 30 14.49%
Link 20 22 10.63%
Link 1000 11 5.31%
Link 2000 29 14.01%
Trimetric 2020 8 3.86%
DOC Wattson model R102 0 0%
Victron BMV 602 21 10.14%
CruzPro VAH-35 4 1.93%
Clipper Battery Monitor BM-1 11 5.31%
Other - please add info to thread! 29 14.01%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 17:16   #106

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
I would still look at Ample Power. I've had their system in use full time for almost two years. They're feedback on the web is good / not great, but did provide me clues to help solve my setup issue. They're really about the only "Bullet Proof" system out there. The others that cruisers seem to have I hear complaints about. That may be because there are more of them and they're found discounted and mass produced. Good luck.

BTW, I have their alternators, Regulator (Running two alternators) and their EMON.

Ample Power Company Home Page

ps I have no financial interest in the company nor are any of the principals friends of mine. Just a satisfied customer.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 15:46   #107

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
We have the Trimetric and are extremely happy with it. I don't think any of the others come close in price, or provide any additional information. Some of them provide more functionality like monitoring multiple banks and acting as a charge controller.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:56   #108

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
I'm a new member as of today. This looks like a place to find lots of answers and info.

My current question is about battery monitors. I'm specifically interested in these: LinkPro, TriMetric, Clipper BM-1.

The last post to this thread was over a year ago and I'm wondering if anyone has anything to add re. choosing a good battery monitor. I have a very simple system but want something better than just voltage to give me a picture of SOC and condition of my batts.

Thanks,
Wayne in AK
Hi Wayne, I'm still happy with the Victron 602. It functions fine, and provides me the information I was missing covering voltage on both house and starter banks and current on the house bank. On top of this it has a whole load of other information but the truth is thats way more advanced than I'm ready for.

The SOC seems to run approximately as expected, though we don't really use it but rely more on the voltage and current drain.

It was an afternoons work to install, probably less if you don't have to do yoga to get to your batteries. The components felt pretty solid.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Hi Wayne, I'm still happy with the Victron 602. It functions fine, and provides me the information I was missing covering voltage on both house and starter banks and current on the house bank. On top of this it has a whole load of other information but the truth is thats way more advanced than I'm ready for.

The SOC seems to run approximately as expected, though we don't really use it but rely more on the voltage and current drain.

It was an afternoons work to install, probably less if you don't have to do yoga to get to your batteries. The components felt pretty solid.
We like ours too. We thought about the NASA one but the Victron seems much better quality, with a heavier shunt, higher resolution, and not actually that much more money.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:53   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Are any of these NMEA 2000 compliant? I've tried looking this up on the web but no real luck there.
Old post, I know - but here is an N2K based DC / Battery Bank monitor:

Maretron DCM100

It also doesn't require a shunt but uses a Hall effect sensor to read amps.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:01   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
I would still look at Ample Power.
I have an EMON, but it I don't think Ample makes them anymore. I got that impression from their website. I tried to contact them for clarification but phones were not answered and emails were not returned.

That was enough for me and I replaced the EMON with a BMV. They have a few different features, but the BMV has more that I actually use. The BMV is much smaller, which is good for dashboard real estate, but not so good for tired eyes. It also doesn't cycle the display the way an EMON does, you have to push buttons. Easier to install than the EMON was to remove.

The EMON has temperature compensation, which the BMV does not, but I don't think the BMV needs it. I believe the EMON was designed to control the alternators somehow, which is where temp would come into play.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:09   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Hi Wayne, I'm still happy with the Victron 602. <snip/>

I've noticed that the SOC on my Victron BMV tends to lose capacity noticeably after about a week. I can tell from the batteries' acceptance rate that they are closer to full than the BMV indicates.

The unit is designed to automatically "sync" itself back to 100% periodically when it sees float voltage and low current. Unfortunately, my solar installation creates this scenario when it is trying to charge but house loads are pulling the current down, so I have the sync disabled.

Because of this, and since I rarely plug into the dock anymore, I have to do the sync manually from time-to-time.

The cause of the SOC getting out of sync may be because of incorrect settings for either the Peukert Exponent, or Charge Efficiency Factor, both of which the BMV allows you to set.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 16:12   #113

Hi. I've bought a sailboat with a Link 2000r and I'm very confused about how to read the amps used, amps left, etc. I'm not finding the info/directions in the manual, so I'm wondering if any of you can steer me to a resource that will explain this step-by-step, if there is one. Suggestions? Thanks, even just a brief explanation of which buttons to push in which sequence would be very much appreciated
hiltf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 22:39   #114

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
hi hiltf - did you try: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...-1(Vendor).pdf
Old 29-11-2010, 06:34   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
I didn't see anyone with a Blue Sea Systems VSM 422 vessel system monitor. They cost around $375 but monitor all electrical functions a/c & d/c and I bought the tank sending units for $75 each and can monitor levels in fresh, grey and black water holding tanks. The unit is progamable and has alarms for every function. This compact digital display replaced the dispay units for inverter, charger, tank monitoring and has an amazing array of functions. Worth every penny.
Vessel Systems Monitor VSM 422 - PN 1800 - Blue Sea Systems
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 07:28   #116

After I converted to electric propulsion monitoring the 48 volt battery bank became very important. I originally started with only a Xantrex XBM which was mounted in the cockpit until sun light destroyed the LCD. The manual said it was splashproof but, made no mention of the sun light being a problem however. Luckily, I was able to go around the extremely bad customer service of Xantrex and get a new display from the actual manufacturer of the unit:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REPAIRING A XANTREX XBM BATTERY MONITOR DISPLAY

I also added a Paktraker battery monitor that is located in the cabin so I can monitor the bank inside. Both units are very helpful in keeping tabs on the critical battery bank on board as it is my fuel tank being an electric propelled boat. I am pleased with both units (despite the repair I needed to preform on the Xantrex).
Old 29-11-2010, 09:05   #117

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
I'd like to receive your recommendations for a good (and hopefully inexpensive) battery monitor for a simple one bank system without integrated charger/inverter. We just purchased a 34 foot sailboat which we plan to outfit with a 440 Ah house battery bank (four Trojan T-105's) and Air Breeze 200 W wind generator. Additionally we'll have a start battery for which we'll monitor voltage only. Recommendations please! Thanks
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 02:15   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Old post, I know - but here is an N2K based DC / Battery Bank monitor:

Maretron DCM100

It also doesn't require a shunt but uses a Hall effect sensor to read amps.
The maretron is about $500. I'm considering the Victron BMV series and have almost all Maretron on my boat. The 602 model would be functionally equivalent to the DCM100 at about $250 + it's nmea cable ($?) Battery monitors - Victron Energy

Anyone wired that up to their N2K network?
Old 13-01-2011, 02:29   #119

Boat: TBA
Battery Monitor

i use a BEP dc Monitor and when working it does everything i need but it develop's hissy fits from time to time and takes hours to re set
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 03:35   #120

Boat: Switch 51 #10
NASA

Pete, we have the NASA BM-1 which is below 100 pounds in the UK. We are very satisfied with it. Big display, nice backlight, simple and edequate.
NASA now also offers a smaller-sized model of about the same specification.
The Sterling is probably also OK and not expensive.
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor