Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 19:42   #31

Re: What to replace my batteries with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailuke View Post
I have two salty, dusty and worn out starting batteries on my catalina 27 id like to replace. I plan to sta on a budget. I was thinking of keeping a starting battery for the engine and getting two 6V golf cart batteries and parallel them. I'm hesitant to just go into a marine store and buy a marine deep cycle battery because of how difficult it is to find a true deep cycle battery. What brand of deep cycle batteries should i trust? West marine? lifeline? Duracell?
When playing with batteries the first thing you should know is the difference between Series and Parallel. If you take two 6 Volt golf cart batteries and Parallel them , you will still have 6 Volts. If you put them in Series, then you will get 12 Volts. You can take 4 six volt batteries and put two in series and the other two can be paralleled with the other two and you will still have 12 Volts. Think of Parallel as like a ladder and the rungs are batteries and the tall rails as one being Positive and the other one Negative.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 13:41   #32

Boat: Morgan 37 OI MkII

I'm with SV Liberty. We have been 6 month sailors for 18 years and Trojan T105 batteries did not last more than 2 years in the sub tropics. We get many years out of our Lifelines.
iseadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 15:37   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I've got eight size 27 Interstates, all flooded, two starting and six house. Longest life I've seen thus far, and lots of dealers for competitive pricing. Your local garage is a dealer and can get any model you choose, at least overnight.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote