Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 07:01   #1

Boat: Niagara 31
What are these fuses for ?

I'm converting my Off-1-Both-2 battery switch to a dual circuit switch. In removing the wires from the back of the current switch, I find two wires coming from the Common connection, going to a fuse, then onto another fuse, then disappearing back into the mess of of wires going back to the engine compartment. Any idea what these wires are for, and how do I connect them onto the new switch ?

The engine compartment is 15' away from the battery box/compartment, with a whole bunch of wires running back and forth to each. I have three 00 wires running from battery box to engine compartment: one black earth wire, two red wires running from the common connection on battery switch: one to starter, one to alternator.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: What are these fuses for ?

The installation manual for this has a simple wiring diagram to help you:

Power Store&

They are also available state side without the VSR if you want.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:48   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:39   #4

Boat: Sonrisa, Mac 26D,

I agree, fallow the installation instructions. Most likely the third wire is for the starter solenoid, but the double fused wires is overkill.
Old 24-06-2011, 19:33   #5

To answer my own question:

I believe the wires are going to the Smart Regulator, i.e. coming from the alternator positive output terminal to the smart regulator. Not sure why there are two lines and two fuses.

But I don't think it really matters. I'll just connect the two lines to the dual circuit switch, the alternator side, which will be connected to the Distribution panel.
Old 25-06-2011, 12:09   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Hope you can get it all sorted out. I haven't tackled the distribution panel on my boat yet. It is way down on the list.
kind regards,
Old 25-06-2011, 13:04   #7

Is there a built in charger installed? If so, one of the fused wires could go to it. You should not have two fuses in series though.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 17:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
Is there a built in charger installed? If so, one of the fused wires could go to it. You should not have two fuses in series though.
Yes, I do have a built in charger installed, but it has nothing to do with these wires or fuses.

I'm going to put the change over on hold until I've proved these wires DO go to the smart regulator. This means staying with the current configuration until the end of July. I'll be back to report after that date.

Thanks for input so far.
Old 25-06-2011, 18:11   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
To answer my own question:

I believe the wires are going to the Smart Regulator, i.e. coming from the alternator positive output terminal to the smart regulator. Not sure why there are two lines and two fuses.

But I don't think it really matters. I'll just connect the two lines to the dual circuit switch, the alternator side, which will be connected to the Distribution panel.
Most smart alternator regulators has two DC positive wires. One is connected to the ships DC positive supply usually via a fuse or c/b. It is the power supply for the regulator.
- - The other is supposed to be routed to the positive terminal of the battery being charged. This is the "control" wire that tells the smart regulator to increase or decrease its output. However, most installers are too lazy to run that wire to the battery and just connect both together.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 07:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Most smart alternator regulators has two DC positive wires. One is connected to the ships DC positive supply usually via a fuse or c/b. It is the power supply for the regulator.
- - The other is supposed to be routed to the positive terminal of the battery being charged. This is the "control" wire that tells the smart regulator to increase or decrease its output. However, most installers are too lazy to run that wire to the battery and just connect both together.
Yes, after I took some pictures with the camera and took them home, and did some thinking, and read the installation instruction for the regulator, I realized that's what my two wires are. Each line has a separate level fuse, thus explaining the two fuses.

I had the smart regulator installed by a boat yard in Annapolis one year, so wasn't aware of what he had done in detail. Electrical connections can get very complicated on a boat ! However, all has ended well, as I now know how to connect up my new switch, and I've learnt something more about my electrical system.

BTW, the installer used Blue Sea product number 5065 for the fuse holder. I've never seen these fuses used before on any other boat I've looked at.
http://bluesea.com/files/resources/p...mages/5065.jpg

Thank you everyone for relevant responses.