Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 17:18   #1

Fuses

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if all fuses are created equal. I need to buy a 250A fuse for my bow thruster. The one I removed is ceramic. I've been looking on the internet at fuses and see many 250A fuses from Blue Sea System, Raptor, Lewmar ranging from $4 to $18. The only one that I could find similar made of ceramic was a Vetus slow blow strip fuse for $16.89. I know that slow blow is for motors and such to allow temporary surges in current. Do I assume that if the slow blow are required then those that don't say slow blow are not?

Thanks in Advance for your answers.
sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Fuses

Ceramic fuses generally have a high(er) Interrupting Capacity.

Interrupting capacity (or Breaking or Short Circuit rating) is the maximum current which the fuse can safely break at rated voltage.
During a fault or short circuit condition, a fuse may receive an instantaneous overload current many times greater than its normal operating current.
Safe operation requires that the fuse remain intact (no explosion or body rupture) and clear the circuit.
The Interrupting Rating of a fuse must meet or exceed the Maximum (available) Fault Current of the circuit.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:19   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Fuses

+1

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote