Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2018, 04:34   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Using 2 alternators at a time

I want to charge the same batteries using 2 alternators with no external regulator. Will this hurt the alternators? I will be running one engine at a time for most of the trip, but two at times, and don't want to keep disconnecting the two alternator feeds.This is a temp set up for a passage, not something permanent.
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 05:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Using 2 alternators at a time

It will not hurt the alternators one bit...
Old 27-06-2018, 05:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
I want to charge the same batteries using 2 alternators with no external regulator. Will this hurt the alternators? I will be running one engine at a time for most of the trip, but two at times, and don't want to keep disconnecting the two alternator feeds.This is a temp set up for a passage, not something permanent.
Make it permanent. There is nothing wrong with using two alternators or other charging sources for that matter. They will play happily together. Why on earth would you disconnect one when using both engines? There is no rational reason for doing so.

They would work far better if externally regulated, but that is a question for another day.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 23:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

I have a similar factory installed setup with Balmar alternators. No problems. Balmar sells a device to help them play better they say it is not necessary and I’ve never used it.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 04:35   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
I have a similar factory installed setup with Balmar alternators. No problems. Balmar sells a device to help them play better they say it is not necessary and I’ve never used it.
Some external regulator installations will cause problems with signal to tachs when batteries approach full charge. Maybe their device is to solve this problem. This can usually be solved by just adding a small additional load so the regulators compensate for the load.

I have a dual Next Step installation. I installed two regulators (one per engine) for redundancy. Next Step also makes an add on device to allow one regulator to control 2 alternators, but I wanted the redundancy. I also have a switch installed to give me the option of turning one off if they arent playing well together and are disturbing the tach signal (again, only happens at near full charge).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator