Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 13:50   #31

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko
Re: The all Electric Sailboat.

This has been mentioned on CF before, but there is an excellent Yahoo group focused on electric boat propulsion, mainly sailboats.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/electricboats/info

Most are not ALL electric, but some are close, and there is a wealth of friendly and very knowledgeable folks.

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 14:07   #32

Boat: too many

On a very small scale, I have the hull eficiency of a kayak combined with a permament magnet DC motor and home rolled LiFePO4 battery bank, to be able to cruise for 80 miles. I use two 12 volt packs, one for outbound, the other for return. Total battery weight just a bit over 60 lbs. While I quoted an efficient cat needing 500 watt-hr per mile, I'm only using 32 watt-hr per mile.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 19:16   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
On a very small scale, I have the hull eficiency of a kayak combined with a permament magnet DC motor and home rolled LiFePO4 battery bank, to be able to cruise for 80 miles. I use two 12 volt packs, one for outbound, the other for return. Total battery weight just a bit over 60 lbs. While I quoted an efficient cat needing 500 watt-hr per mile, I'm only using 32 watt-hr per mile.
Run for cover! Run for cover!! He used that nonsense unit again!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 19:21   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumiko dan View Post
This has been mentioned on CF before, but there is an excellent Yahoo group focused on electric boat propulsion, mainly sailboats.

Most are not ALL electric, but some are close, and there is a wealth of friendly and very knowledgeable folks.

Dan
I am already a member- thanks Dan
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 19:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Run for cover! Run for cover!! He used that nonsense unit again!
Newt

There's NOTHING wrong with watt.hrs (and watt-hrs is OK, too)

It's watts PER hour, watts/hr, watt/hrs and their ilk which are the nonsense units

Use dashes, not slashes !
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 19:56   #36

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumiko dan View Post

Dan
Our boat has an electric drive. The unit in our boat is a Solidnav, which is no longer in business. Powering the drive is a 400 amp hour bank. While we like our drive, I wouldn't say it is for everyone. For our purposes in the Bay it can't be beat though.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 20:08   #37

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Hardly anything works as good as you would like to think it oughta. Sometimes generating enough power to operate extra stuff just isn't possible. That doesn't have to be a dealbreaker, though... turn some stuff off, run a generator for an hour or three, or both. You just got to find your zone. More batts? More solar? Bigger wind gen? 2kw Honda and a can of gas for emergencies? Less load?

Sure, you can have an all wind and electric boat. Or a MOSTLY or a USUALLY all sail and electric boat, which is maybe slightly more practical.

FWIW I will be installing electric propulsion soon, and at some point about 600 watts of solar and a wind gen too. I anticipate still needing shore power charging or a portable generator on occasion, or naturally recharging for a day or three before significant use of the motor. 600 watts of solar won't give me 600 watts for 24 hours or even 12, maybe not even one hour. If I get 1/10 the theoretical or rated output, I will be pleased. I guess what I am trying to say is it is easy, and unwise, to expect too much performance out of a natural power setup. Keep your expectations at realistic levels and I feel that for most of us, a well engineered wind/solar system will deliver flexibility, redundancy, (your best friend on a cruising boat) MAYBE some cost saving, and a lot of warm fuzzy feeling. But no magic, no free lunch.
Old 20-04-2014, 20:23   #38

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Hardly anything works as good as you would like to think it oughta. Sometimes generating enough power to operate extra stuff just isn't possible. That doesn't have to be a dealbreaker, though... turn some stuff off, run a generator for an hour or three, or both. You just got to find your zone. More batts? More solar? Bigger wind gen? 2kw Honda and a can of gas for emergencies? Less load?

Sure, you can have an all wind and electric boat. Or a MOSTLY or a USUALLY all sail and electric boat, which is maybe slightly more practical.

FWIW I will be installing electric propulsion soon, and at some point about 600 watts of solar and a wind gen too. I anticipate still needing shore power charging or a portable generator on occasion, or naturally recharging for a day or three before significant use of the motor. 600 watts of solar won't give me 600 watts for 24 hours or even 12, maybe not even one hour. If I get 1/10 the theoretical or rated output, I will be pleased. I guess what I am trying to say is it is easy, and unwise, to expect too much performance out of a natural power setup. Keep your expectations at realistic levels and I feel that for most of us, a well engineered wind/solar system will deliver flexibility, redundancy, (your best friend on a cruising boat) MAYBE some cost saving, and a lot of warm fuzzy feeling. But no magic, no free lunch.
+1
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 20:47   #39

Sail Transport Network | Sail Transport Network
Eddiefuego is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, sail, sailboat