Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 09:55   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Smarter Tools 2000 watt generator at Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Actually as a business owner, I find this a little disappointing. Its obvious you knew you were going to kill that sander. Personally I think it was dishonest to take it back and expect warranty. You should have just purchased another one (still less than 1/2 the cost of a $200 quality sander).

Ya, you will argue that HF is huge and $40 won't kill them, or they shouldn't have a policy like that if they don't expect the customer to use it. Not the point, the fist sander obviously exceeded your expectations.
HFT made it up on the many chumps out there or those with light use expectation.

I don't see he abused anything. If it did not last for the warranty time they have that build in to their business model.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 17:16   #17

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Actually as a business owner, I find this a little disappointing. Its obvious you knew you were going to kill that sander. Personally I think it was dishonest to take it back and expect warranty. You should have just purchased another one (still less than 1/2 the cost of a $200 quality sander).

Ya, you will argue that HF is huge and $40 won't kill them, or they shouldn't have a policy like that if they don't expect the customer to use it. Not the point, the fist sander obviously exceeded your expectations.
travellerw, in many ways i agree with you. I've been a supporter of small businesses all of my adult life and would not intentionally rip off a small businessman. There's a whole string of "ma and pa" shops that I visit first before going to the big chain stores - like West Marine. I may not have the same feelings for a large corporation but you are correct in that cheating is still cheating.

As to the sander in question, I actually did expect the $40 HFT tool to do the whole job. I expected the job to take about a week - it actually took about eight days. The fact is that, had it been an expensive version of the same tool and failed after five days I would have done exactly the same thing. Taken it back to the store and asked for a replacement. So no, I don't feel that I somehow cheated HFT any more than I would have cheated Milwaukee or Porter Cable or Ryobi had I replaced their more expensive tool. The only difference is that I would not have left the more expensive tool for the boat yard guys when I was done with the job.

Completely aside from all this, I highly recommend NOT doing your own heavy sanding. In spite of using a new tyvek suit every day along with expensive full face filters I still managed to swallow a lifetime worth of copper bottom paint dust. I would not willingly do that again. But I couldn't find any locals that would hard sand the boat. Some wanted to sandblast it ($1500) and some wanted to peel it ($1000). Next time i'll pay the freight - probably sandblasting.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:25   #18

In 2009 I bought an off-brand Honda-like Chinese 1kW inverter generator. Because it was a refurbished unit being cleared out for $150, I had little to lose. It took a little work and running-in, but it now runs reliably. I keep it around the house for a backup and occasional portable use.

If I was setting up to cruise seriously, I would buy a Honda generator, whatever the price. We've owned a Honda Civic for 12 years, and keep tabs on other Honda product owners, and to my mind Honda is superior in just about all the product lines they produce.

- - -
Regarding hull stripping, I had to strip a small hull, and I had the best experience using soy-based strippers. More expensive than sanding, and it might take a couple of passes, but a whole lot less unpleasant, less unhealthy and easier to control the mess. Also less harmful to the hull.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 13:59   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Since it's sold by Costco, just drop it off and get a new one, or a full refund if you don't like it.
What happens when you are on a cruise and hundreds of miles from a Costco? Even if you're not far from one, how are you going to get it to Costco and back?

The Honda has a track record. This one doesn't.
Old 25-01-2015, 14:01   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Actually as a business owner, I find this a little disappointing. Its obvious you knew you were going to kill that sander. Personally I think it was dishonest to take it back and expect warranty. You should have just purchased another one (still less than 1/2 the cost of a $200 quality sander). .
Agreed!
Old 25-01-2015, 14:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What happens when you are on a cruise and hundreds of miles from a Costco? Even if you're not far from one, how are you going to get it to Costco and back?

The Honda has a track record. This one doesn't.

The same thing you would do if your Honda crapped out on you. Either fix it, or don't. It's a generator, virtually identical to the Honda. I've had to repair at least 5 Hondas, but not one of these. The only reason the Honda has a track record is because they've been around a while. Give it time, it might very well develop it's own Koolaide drinking, cult-like following.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator