Overall the engine and the generator are very reliable. However I recently discovered some issues which gave me cause for concern.
For the last 2.5 years I have been on extended cruising
. I am using the genset for 1 to 2 hours a day to charge and make water
. It has 1,392 hours logged, mostly in the last 2.5 years. It was installed in 2005.
I have always carried out service
according to the manual. I have worked as a professional yacht captain
and have somewhere in the region of 150,000 miles, much of it in remote
areas where keeping equipment
running is a way of life. So I understand what I should expect from marine equipment
I recently removed the genset from its installation
and casing in order to be able to inspect and check the wiring
and hoses. This is the first time I have had all-round access to the unit. I understand that this is the first time the unit has been removed since installation
The problems I found are mostly associated with chafing and vibration. The engine is a single
cylinder engine and consequently may vibrate more than a 2 or 4 cylinder engine.
- The fuel
hose had almost chaffed through where it passes through the casing.
- The 240V cable, battery cables
and control cable had all chaffed through to copper at the casing entry holes.
- There were no gromets or protection on any of the sharp edges of the holes in the grp casing (I think in the newer models there is now a bronze fuel connector fixed on the casing entry point).
- There were several other chafe points (through to copper) on the wiring
inside the casing.
- The contents of the electrical control box
on the engine had all shaken themselves loose over time.
Actually it is a testament to the genset that it still ran and produced 240V.
Also the oil
strainer unit had been installed with silicon instead of the intended rubberised cork gasket
, explaining a persistent oil leak
. Later I found out how difficult it was to get this flange to seal with the supplied replacement gasket
. This may be because the 2 fixing bolts are slightly offset from the line of symmetry through the flange. In the end I used a better quality cork gasket which works fine.
As far as I can tell the genset was installed as per the installation manual.
Of course this could all have been unique to my genset and I am only sharing my specific experience as it could be helpful to others. It is not my intention to blame anyone for these issues.