Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58   #1

Boat: OC43 - Nave Rara
Paguro Generators - Any Information

Folks,

I'd like to have any review information about Paguro generator about its reliability, comparisons (specially against Panda) or any user oppinion. Any information is appreciated. Thanks ...
negrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Paguro Generators are manufactured by Volpi Tecno Energia (VTE), in Trieste, Italy.

Their generator range starts with the Bukh-Farymann powered Compact 3000 3kVA model, and goes up to the Lombardini powered 21kVA unit featuring Full Overhead Control System (FOCS).

See the VICTRON Generator Test Report
While our primary focus was on the use of marine generators together with our MultiPlus or Quattro inverter/chargers on boats, the results of our tests can also be applied to other small hybrid power systems for mobile homes, off-grid houses, farms or villages, remote telecommunication sites and more. And having tested a number of generators for this purpose, we naturally looked at comparative generator characteristics such as fuel consumption, emissions, noise levels and more.

Here ➥
http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/...7-jan-2008.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:03   #3

Gord
thanks for the info, I've red Victron report and unfortunately their sound test was at no load. Like my Honda eu2000i, it barely whisper at no load, but scream like a pig at full power. This is noticeable for Panda 4000i, where rpm increase based on load since to power AC 60Hz it uses inverter technology, and that might be the same about Paguro 3000 compact. I had a Mastervolt. Sold boat after 2,5 years with just 42 hours on it, as it was very noisy. In our region, FP still suffer from bad reputation, but I just red about Paguro, using same engine, so I'm curious about what people says onits sound level.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39   #4

Boat: Valiant 50
I stand corrected but I seem to recall that one reason we did not go for the Paguro with the single cylinder Farryman, was that it the engine was raw water cooled.

We chose a 4.2 kW Entec and are very happy with it. Good support, good product.
Old 02-03-2010, 13:47   #5

Neelie, I red the manual and it says somewhere "heat exchanger", but inspecting more carefully it goes for the oil sump only, and yes, everything else is raw water cooled. I didn't note it, Thanks to recall it !!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50   #6

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Re: Paguro Generators - Any Information

I know this thread is old, but just in case anyone is still interested I have been using a Paguro 3000 generator for 2.5 years and can provide a pretty comprehensive review. Private message me if you want to hear my experiences.
Streetcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54   #7

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

Hi,

I fitted a 4 KVa Paguro this year, to replace a 3.5 Mastervolt Whisper. I'm happy with the change-over so far. The new gennie is quieter and simpler. I've made sure to fill the raw water cooling with antifreeze over winter as a rust prevention measure.

Any other info on how this generator ages would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
S/V Pavlov
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetcar View Post
I know this thread is old, but just in case anyone is still interested I have been using a Paguro 3000 generator for 2.5 years and can provide a pretty comprehensive review. Private message me if you want to hear my experiences.
SC, can you not give us a short synopsis of your experience?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:12   #9

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

Overall the engine and the generator are very reliable. However I recently discovered some issues which gave me cause for concern.

For the last 2.5 years I have been on extended cruising with family. I am using the genset for 1 to 2 hours a day to charge and make water. It has 1,392 hours logged, mostly in the last 2.5 years. It was installed in 2005.

I have always carried out service according to the manual. I have worked as a professional yacht captain and have somewhere in the region of 150,000 miles, much of it in remote areas where keeping equipment running is a way of life. So I understand what I should expect from marine equipment.

I recently removed the genset from its installation and casing in order to be able to inspect and check the wiring and hoses. This is the first time I have had all-round access to the unit. I understand that this is the first time the unit has been removed since installation.

The problems I found are mostly associated with chafing and vibration. The engine is a single cylinder engine and consequently may vibrate more than a 2 or 4 cylinder engine.

Specifically:

- The fuel hose had almost chaffed through where it passes through the casing.

- The 240V cable, battery cables and control cable had all chaffed through to copper at the casing entry holes.

- There were no gromets or protection on any of the sharp edges of the holes in the grp casing (I think in the newer models there is now a bronze fuel connector fixed on the casing entry point).

- There were several other chafe points (through to copper) on the wiring inside the casing.

- The contents of the electrical control box on the engine had all shaken themselves loose over time.

Actually it is a testament to the genset that it still ran and produced 240V.

Also the oil strainer unit had been installed with silicon instead of the intended rubberised cork gasket, explaining a persistent oil leak. Later I found out how difficult it was to get this flange to seal with the supplied replacement gasket. This may be because the 2 fixing bolts are slightly offset from the line of symmetry through the flange. In the end I used a better quality cork gasket which works fine.

As far as I can tell the genset was installed as per the installation manual.

Of course this could all have been unique to my genset and I am only sharing my specific experience as it could be helpful to others. It is not my intention to blame anyone for these issues.
Streetcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 14:31   #10

Hello Streetcar, you might want to have a look under the exhaust pipe, you will probably find it is in contact with the holding down (bedplate) bolt. if you remove the stainless steel exhaust you will see that the under side of the exhaust has chaffing marks on it and the holding down bolt is also warn. this is where the vibration is coming from. you will be able to see this in situ with a mirror or better still an endoscope.
please let me know what you find, i am very curious.

kind regards

JOni
jonibilges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 16:10   #11

Boat: Fusion 40 Catamaran

Just a quick question. I have a Paguro 5000. Its running fine but does not produce any 240volt current. Will not switch over to the green light on the panel. Any suggestions? Thanks mate
islandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 02:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbuoy View Post
Just a quick question. I have a Paguro 5000. Its running fine but does not produce any 240volt current. Will not switch over to the green light on the panel. Any suggestions? Thanks mate
I've had similar issues with our 1 year old Paguro 2000. It was a fault with the inverter component of the genset. Probably not much you can do unless you have an electronics workshop onboard.

The Australian dealer replaced the inverter under warranty, but this didn't happen quickly as they had to get prior approval from Italy!

I wouldn't buy another one; as this was not our first problem. Three words that should never be in a sentence without a NOT; Italian, Electrical and Reliable.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 12:08   #13

I know this thread is very old but it comes up high on the list in Google when Paguro is searched.

I would never recommend anyone purchase a Paguro generator. We are on the second engine (first one lasted a couple hundred hours) and now after another hundred hours, the new one fails to run.

Getting help from Paguro is almost impossible. We're now tied to a dock while Paguro's authorized technicians look at the unit. They have no idea what's wrong and get very little support from the manufacturer.

It's a cheap generator because it's a low quality generator at least in our experience. Lesson learned.

Sorry to pop this to the top but if it saves one cruiser the headaches we've had, it's a good thing.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 22:38   #14

Totally agree with Crayiii. Lombardini, Paguro and Volpi are 3 names to keep clear of in the boating world. Apparently Kohler is in some sort of relationship with Lombardini now.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 22:32   #15

Thank you all for above important importation.

I would like to state my issue with Paguro 4000 equipped with Ferymann diesel engine, model 18W435.
Due to long time of inactivity, piston of the engine is stuck so I am trying to find a used ferryman engine because spare parts needed for repair costs nearly a new generator, at least here in Greece.

Does anybody know where to ask for a used Ferymann engine (only the motor not the coil) for example Italy or other European country?
geodimis is offline   Reply With Quote